Take advantage of 25% sale or wait for 8?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:20 PM

I have an extensive library and pretty much only have a list of “wants“ at His point. I have made no major purchases this year in anticipation of spending for Logos 8. Today I saw where the Logos 7 packages are on sale for 25% off - can’t recall a better deal being offered even when new versions arrive. This discount temps me to get an upgrade now that would get me some things I want. However, if I do this, I won’t have dollars left for Logos 8. I am a LogosNow/FaithLife Connect (or whatever it is called now) subscriber, so I think I already have most of the new features that Logos 8 will bring. Do I spring for what I know I want in 7 or wait in hopes that 8 will bring me a better deal on more things I want.

Thoughts?

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:22 PM

I'm in the same boat as you... I'm also curious if Connect members get an extra discount or not

Posts 6327
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:50 PM

Mattillo:

I'm in the same boat as you... I'm also curious if Connect members get an extra discount or not

It’s an extra 10% off for FL Connect members πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ I’ll wait for the new L8 libraries to come out as I already have most of what I want and need.

DAL

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 5:04 PM

I was going to look in to some packages at that discount but I can’t get around the online chat ad to see and the site doesn’t work at all on my ipad: I can’t select anything in the dropdown list boxes (Safari and Chrome). I hope there is a better shopping experience for L8. This stuff has all been mentioned before. Extremely frustrating!

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 5:19 PM

DAL:
I’ll wait for the new L8 libraries to come out as I already have most of what I want and need.

Yes

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:44 AM

I recently picked up L7 Baptist Portfolio (~500$ thanks to dynamic pricing and some good discounts). The next four months should be pretty tight financially but after that I'll have more money in my budget.

PLUS praise the Lord the church is discussing giving me a raise. Otherwise I'd not have bought it. I wanted a couple resources that were quite a bit more expensive than the package together, so I jumped on it.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3192
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 8:11 AM

TLDR: L8 savings might be better.

DAL:

Mattillo:

It’s an extra 10% off for FL Connect members πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ I’ll wait for the new L8 libraries to come out as I already have most of what I want and need.

DAL

Although one would hope or think so, there's no evidence that Connect members get an extra discount on top of the 25%.

First, this banner would say something different if there was a Connect discount. Instead it says the same as a non-subscriber:

Second, the difference in price before and during this sale works out to 15% for me. That is due to the 10% Connect discount already factored into my pre-sale price.

So my current savings ends up being 25%, the same as non-subscribers.

The explanation we've heard in the past is that discounts don't stack, and FL uses the greater of any discounts you're entitled to. That's why we get it at 25% off, not 35% off.

The only time I recall the Now discount did stack with a library/base package discount was during introductory pricing for L7. Our savings back then came to 34% off. So, if past experience holds true, Connect subscribers might see an extra discount applied to L8 introductory pricing, compared to non-subscribers. There's no guarantee, though.

Posts 260
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 8:59 AM

PetahChristian:

DAL:

Mattillo:

DAL

Although one would hope or think so, there's no evidence that Connect members get an extra discount on top of the 25%.

First, this banner would say something different if there was a Connect discount. Instead it says the same as a non-subscriber:

Second, the difference in price before and during this sale works out to 15% for me. That is due to the 10% Connect discount already factored into my pre-sale price.

The explanation we've heard in the past is that discounts don't stack, and FL uses the greater of any discounts you're entitled to. That's why we get it at 25% off, not 35% off.

The only time I recall the Now discount did stack with a library/base package discount was during introductory pricing for L7. Our savings back then came to 34% off. So, if past experience holds true, Connect subscribers might see an extra discount applied to L8 introductory pricing, compared to non-subscribers. There's no guarantee, though.

Here's some screenshots:

This one shows the price with me logged out, for Gold Standard. The price is 25% off the regular price of $1549.

Now here is a screenshot of me logged in. I assume the price is right, because I already own the Gold Logos 7 standard base package. This price shows a more than extra 10% off, but I am a connect subscriber. Whether or not the price disparity is due to that, I don't know for sure. 

Posts 260
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 8:59 AM

PetahChristian:

DAL:

Mattillo:

DAL

Here's some screenshots:

This one shows the price with me logged out, for Gold Standard. The price is 25% off the regular price of $1549.

Now here is a screenshot of me logged in. I assume the price is right, because I already own the Gold Logos 7 standard base package. This price shows a more than extra 10% off, but I am a connect subscriber. Whether or not the price disparity is due to that, I don't know for sure. 

Posts 3192
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 9:23 AM

Jon Bradley:
I assume the price is right, because I already own the Gold Logos 7 standard base package. This price shows a more than extra 10% off, but I am a connect subscriber.

I calculated the discount on a package I didn't own, comparing my dynamic price before the sale to my dynamic price during the sale.

You might want to compare prices for a package you don't own (since pricing for packages we do own don't show up as $0.00, but some other value).

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 10:19 AM

Greg, for me it boils down to how much I'd have to pay for what I don't want in the existing Libraries. I've found the L7 Libraries to be rather weak because they have so much I don't want (but would still have to pay for). Your situation may differ.

I am waiting to spend money until after L8 comes out, hoping there will be some improvements in the Libraries.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 11:09 AM

I agree with Mark. I looked again at the L7 packages because of the sale, and the price per volume of USEFUL resources is quite high.

Posts 17
Jack NΓΈrdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:38 PM

I'm waiting for L8 although I don't know if it is released this month or the next or the next..., because I have the books I want already.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 11:33 PM

I took Orthodox starter https://www.logos.com/product/81185/orthodox-starter and I hope L8 will be delayed

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:30 AM

What would be a great would be a free upgrade policy. I recall that if you purchased say Windows 8 and 10 came out within 6 months, you'd get a free upgrade. Faithlife may not be able to afford doing this but if they did, it would help potential buyers go for 7 packages when they suspect that 8 might come in soon. 

Posts 21875
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:33 AM

I've just placed an idea for Reformed Platinum - it got me some very interesting resources at a good price.

Posts 117
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:38 AM

Greg Corbin:

I have an extensive library and pretty much only have a list of “wants“ at His point. I have made no major purchases this year in anticipation of spending for Logos 8. Today I saw where the Logos 7 packages are on sale for 25% off - can’t recall a better deal being offered even when new versions arrive. This discount temps me to get an upgrade now that would get me some things I want. However, if I do this, I won’t have dollars left for Logos 8. I am a LogosNow/FaithLife Connect (or whatever it is called now) subscriber, so I think I already have most of the new features that Logos 8 will bring. Do I spring for what I know I want in 7 or wait in hopes that 8 will bring me a better deal on more things I want.

Thoughts?

When LogosNow switched to FaithLife Connect they did a poor job rolling the change out (in their own words), because of the uproar with all of the customers, they sent out a coupon for $100 that can be used either on a base package, or put towards Logos 8. I actually created a folder in my e-mail devoted to Logos, including my receipts & communications with them & have this coupon in that folder. If you have gmail, you should be able to do a search if you haven't deleted it. 

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 6:00 AM

I took the plunge on Lutheran Portfolio... Too many good resources to pass up. You never know what the L8 packages will contain.  

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 672
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:06 PM

Francis:

What would be a great would be a free upgrade policy. I recall that if you purchased say Windows 8 and 10 came out within 6 months, you'd get a free upgrade. Faithlife may not be able to afford doing this but if they did, it would help potential buyers go for 7 packages when they suspect that 8 might come in soon. 

Logos does something like that with their return policy, but only for 30 days.

Posts 3192
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:44 PM

Francis:
What would be a great would be a free upgrade policy.

FL did offer a store credit for customers who purchased L6 before L7 came out. I was a new customer who bought L6 Starter (which lacked a feature set!) in May 2016, and L7 came out in August. I didn't even know I would get a credit (and it wasn't automatic) -- I called Sales to purchase L7, my rep noticed the date of my L6 purchase, and gave me some percentage back on what I had spent.

So, L6 didn't end up being free, and I don't know if FL will do it again for L8 (or even if L8 will ship soon enough to be eligible for an L7 purchase made this month).

Please don't rush out and buy an L7 package, assuming you'll get a credit for your purchase. Past performance is no guarantee of future results!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS