Prichards Ancient Near Eastern Texts

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:16 PM

I must first apologize for reporting misinformation about this resource. The supplement is wholly contained in ANET and is not missing from what Logos provides in its' offering. The volume I mentioned though identically bound and printed in the same year is not part of a single purchase of this work. It is desirable in its own right but should not be interpreted to be part of ANET despite the fact that it is referenced by the author, shares a similar name, physical appearance, authorship, year of printing, and publisher.

Now after much time and sifting I have reached the conclusion that the "Index of Biblical References" though cited in the "Contents of the Supplement," which appears after Part 10 of the first part of the the Logos revised ANET resource, has been omitted. The pages jump from 681 to 687 without any content being shown until page 687. On page 681 the heading "Indexes" appears after which there is again no content. Starting on Page 687 there begins what was previously referred to as the "Comprehensive Index" in the aforementioned "Contents of the Supplement" this is actually the "Index of Names."

It is my hope that Logos will soon update this resource and restore the missing content (the "Index of Biblical References") thus preserving the integrity of this resource.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.1

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:26 PM

Peace, Beloved!           *smile*

It would be wonderful if Logos "took to heart" the information that you worked so hard to obtain for the benefit of all of us and for Logos itself!          Well-Done, Dear Brother!

Indeed  ....              may they "heed" your wise and helpful words and take a good long and careful look at this matter ....

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:56 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
It would be wonderful if Logos "took to heart" the information that you worked so hard to obtain for the benefit of all of us and for Logos itself! 

Issue duly addressed as promised by Bob. Textual issue resolved. Thanks very much Bob!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 9
Joseph Whiting | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:23 PM

Ok, so this is an update concerning ANET (4/17/13). A rep was nice enough to call me and let me know that they saw my complaint (and probably others as well), and are updating ANET so that it includes Scripture references in the back like the hard copy (this is critical for this kind of resource). I checked out my updated (as of today) ANET and it indeed does have the Scripture ref index! Good deal Logos.

However, there is one issue that remains. I tried the link to my particular passage (Ps 33:9). It took me to the exact page (big improvement), but on the page my reference was not listed like other references. Therefore, in this situation, one would need to read and do his best to come to a conclusion as to what exactly is being referenced in connection to said passage. This version is a big improvement over the old version, but if the one passage I tried did not display as other passages i'm left wondering how many others do not display. It seems that either I am missing something, or another update is in order. I'll certainly upgrade my rating of the resource, but i'm not so sure about keeping it at this point.

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:23 PM

Joe Whiting:
   However, there is one issue that remains. I tried the link to my particular passage (Ps 33:9). It took me to the exact page (big improvement), but on the page my reference was not listed like other references. Therefore, in this situation, one would need to read and do his best to come to a conclusion as to what exactly is being referenced in connection to said passage. This version is a big improvement over the old version, but if the one passage I tried did not display as other passages i'm left wondering how many others do not display. It seems that either I am missing something, or another update is in order. I'll certainly upgrade my rating of the resource, but i'm not so sure about keeping it at this point.

This was the case in the hard copy as well. The index shows you where (what pages) a passage is being referred to even if the reference is not particularly mentioned. If the reference wasn't mentioned, you would have had to read the whole page to figure out from context where that passage was being referred to. I wouldn't expect Logos to change the text of the book to insert the actual references (the publisher wouldn't allow that), or to do semantic interpretation of every page referenced in the index (which would be exceedingly time consuming), so that they can link you to the exact part of the page where the referral is made. I'm happy to have the digital version of this book function as well as the hard copy (actually better, because in the hard copy you would have to flip to the right page yourself manually, whereas now you can jump there with one click).

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:23 PM

Joe Whiting:
there is one issue that remains. I tried the link to my particular passage (Ps 33:9). It took me to the exact page (big improvement), but on the page my reference was not listed like other references. Therefore, in this situation, one would need to read and do his best to come to a conclusion as to what exactly is being referenced in connection to said passage.

Hey Joe,

My library is indexing so I don't have access to my resource. My question to you is doesn't the referenced page in the ANET Biblical Index generate a pop-up on mouse-over? Educate me as to just exactly what function is absent in your view.

As you can readily see Logos is lead by a very tuned in CEO in Bob and he sets the tone for the rest of the organization. A reasonable concern will receive due diligence and a well voiced concern will receive undivided attention from the Logos team.

-Beloved

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 7:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

Joe Whiting:

This was the case in the hard copy as well. The index shows you where (what pages) a passage is being referred to even if the reference is not particularly mentioned. If the reference wasn't mentioned, you would have had to read the whole page to figure out from context where that passage was being referred to. I wouldn't expect Logos to change the text of the book to insert the actual references (the publisher wouldn't allow that), or to do semantic interpretation of every page referenced in the index (which would be exceedingly time consuming), so that they can link you to the exact part of the page where the referral is made. I'm happy to have the digital version of this book function as well as the hard copy (actually better, because in the hard copy you would have to flip to the right page yourself manually, whereas now you can jump there with one click).

Clarification:

The intro to the Index of Biblical References states: "According to the system of reference used here each column of the page of this book is divided into two halves: the first column of the page, into a and b; the second column, into c and d. When the biblical reference does not actually appear printed in a footnote or in an introduction to a translation, the reader must read the entire quarter of the page of text or annotation in order to judge what portion of it is intended as a possible parallel to the biblical citation."

So a correction to my earlier post -- you'd only have to read a quarter of the page in the the hard copy. In the Logos edition, it is hard to tell where the quarter page boundaries are, since there is no layout option that mimics the hard copy layout. So you might have to read the entire page to locate the parallel to the biblical citation.

I'd like to ask Joe Whiting what you meant by "the one passage I tried did not display as other passages." Could you give an example of a passage that did display as you expected it to? In my skimming through ANET, it looks like (counter to my previous post) there are not actually Scripture references in the text of the book itself, so the index is pointing only to biblical parallels in the Ancient Near Eastern Text (as judged by the author). So it's up to the reader to do the work of figuring out exactly what the author was referring to when he made that index. The hard copy book doesn't make it any clearer, so I wouldn't expect the Logos edition to remove that work from our plate.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:00 AM

2 1/2 years later - YES!

Two and a half years and many complains later...

Logos comes with an update indeed, with the bible references....

Yes Thank You Logos...

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS