Missing Swanson and Robinson Morphologies

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 54
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:10 AM

I've recently noticed that the Swanson and Robinson morphologies are no longer available in my Logos software. I searched through this forum and the Logos Wiki. All that I found is a note in Morphology Codes Wiki that Robinson morphology tags have been converted to Logos Morphology. I couldn't find any discussion on this subject in the Logos Forums.

Is there a perceived reduction in value by Greek scholars of the Swanson and/or Robinson Morphology systems?

Or is there some other reason for the Robinson and maybe also Swanson Morphology tagging to be removed or no longer supported in Logos?

Or am I missing something? Smile

Posts 34349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:33 AM

It's moved first select a resource with the tagging then (I don't have Swanson)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 54
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 3:50 AM

MJ. Smith:
It's moved first select a resource with the tagging then (I don't have Swanson)

I would show images of morph search in Logos 5 compared to Logos 7, but I'm not having success copying my screen captures to this post. They paste into the editor fine, but fail when I Post. (Any suggestions would be appreciated).

I do know how to select morphologies and I'm aware they are resource dependent. In Logos 5, I see Friberg, GRAMCORD, Logos, Robinson & Swanson. In Logos 7 I only see Friberg, GRAMCORD and Logos. (for Greek resources)

Posts 25463
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 4:19 AM

Andrew Loney:
I would show images of morph search in Logos 5 compared to Logos 7, but I'm not having success copying my screen captures to this post. They paste into the editor fine, but fail when I Post. (Any suggestions would be appreciated).

Try inserting the screenshots using the paperclip icon

Posts 12240
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 5:01 AM

Andrew Loney:
I do know how to select morphologies and I'm aware they are resource dependent. In Logos 5, I see Friberg, GRAMCORD, Logos, Robinson & Swanson. In Logos 7 I only see Friberg, GRAMCORD and Logos. (for Greek resources)

Maybe this is a resource issue - and potentially two separate issues.

• I try to keep a Reading List of all existing Greek text editions, and I know of only one Greek bible resource ever produced with Swanson morphology, containing a Westcott/Hort and a UBS 4th edition GNT. Unfortunately, I don't own this resource - someone who does could try to verify which morphology comes up for them. I would wonder why there should be a change in how Logos treats those two bibles.

• The other thing you brought up is Robinson morphology. I've seen T/R or Byzantine resources that claim in their product description that Robinson built the morphology, but all those I ever checked have Logos morphology now. It seems those resources had their morphology as Robinson in some point in time - and sometime during L5 days this was changed to Logos morphology, probably after this forum exchange with @Rick Brannan in 2012 and seemingly prior to KS4J's post in May 2012. At least that's what the wiki page you referred to states, and it says Robinson morph codes are deprecated. I didn't find more than Rick's words as to the why - maybe he wants to chime in and explain.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1432
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 6:37 AM

Hi Andrew.

Have you had these licenses for a long time, like back to LDLS or even LLS 2.x era? If so, there is a possibility they may have been a licensing hiccup in a transfer or reinstall (from Logos 5 to Logos 7? Was that an update or a fresh install?) at some point along the line, there's no reason why you shouldn't have it. Swanson is still available: https://www.logos.com/product/7839/ubs-4-westcott-hort-with-swanson-morphological-analysis 

If that's the case, I'd recommend that you give our customer service department a call to resolve the situation.

Regarding Robinson morph scheme: The Robinson scheme was essentially duplicative, so we converted it to the Logos Greek scheme. This allows searching those texts at the same time as the other Logos Greek morphologies in the system.

In the ensuing years we also identified several quality issues with the actual text of the Robinson Greek editions. I'm sure they were great for Maurice Robinson's original purposes, but they simply didn't accurately represent the texts they claim to represent. Outside of orthography differences (spelling, casing) and the lack of punctuation and diacritics for most of them, there were also issues of out-of-order words and sometimes missing and added text.

If you're specifically interested and working with the Scrivener and Westcott-Hort editions from Robinson, I'd highly recommend you migrate to using the Logos version of Westcott and Hort ("The New Testament in the Original Greek", alternatley type "LOGOSWH" in the library window or command box) and the Logos version of Scrivener ("The New Testament in Greek", alternately type "SCRMORPH"). The text of these have both been checked against print editions to ensure they accurately represent the Greek text.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 54
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 2:11 PM

Graham Criddle:
Try inserting the screenshots using the paperclip icon

Thank you Graham, here's the two screenshots I tried earlier, but now trying with the paperclip:

Posts 12240
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 2:31 PM

Ctrl-V or Paste command doesn't work in the forum editor. It's counter-intuitive and it even looks as if it worked until you post :-( 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 54
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 2:34 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Have you had these licenses for a long time

Yes, I've been using Logos for over 20 years. I would have to a little digging to determine when I acquired specific licenses, though.

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
I'd recommend that you give our customer service department a call to resolve the situation.

Will do and thank you for suggesting.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS