Automatically show in Bibles notes attached to versified commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 4 2018 10:22 AM

Currently, if I take a note in say Black New Testament Commentary within the milestone of a certain reference, it does not show in Bibles even if I enable the visual filter for this annotation file. For instance, a note within the commentary section on Mark 1:1 will not show in Bibles at that reference.

I can, of course, add manually the reference as an attachment point, but it seems logical that one should be able to see that a note is attached to this reference without having to add it manually. It would be a nice addition as one can easily forget comments taken within other versified resources which pertain specifically to a passage. By enabling all filters, for instance, one would instantly see all such annotations wherever they may be found. Disabling the filters is easy enough to avoid cluttering the Bible text with annotation icons. 

Posts 42
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 4:01 PM

Adding a note in a commentary shows up in the Bible for me as long as I add the note to the reference and not to a selection of text, using the right side of the right click menu.

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 4:06 PM

Leigh Johnson:

Adding a note in a commentary shows up in the Bible for me as long as I add the note to the reference and not to a selection of text, using the right side of the right click menu.

That was my understanding of the way it worked but maybe I am missing something in Francis scenario.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:41 AM

Leigh Johnson:
as long as I add the note to the reference and not to a selection of text

You are correct. However, this is not practical. After all, annotations in a commentary are not applied to the biblical text but to the commentator's. Since they can have several pages of discussion on one verse, most often I comment on one or several particular point(s) rather than the whole discussion of the verse. This is still pertinent to the verse interpretation and so I wished I could see this signalled in Bibles as a "this-verse-related" annotation icon even if it needs to be based on a text selection.

Perhaps I will just have to get used to manually adding the verse reference as an additional attachment point. 

Posts 12634
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2018 3:13 AM

Francis:
manually adding the verse reference as an additional attachment point

This is the way it should work, as you annotated a specific section of text in the commentary and now want to see this coming up in the referenced verse in the bible (noting that the note symbol will appear in the place you put it, as well as at the beginning of the passage in the commentary - and using highlights will "drown" the commentary section in color).

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS