Surface Go and Logos

Page 3 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 619
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:02 AM

How can I find out how much memory my LOGOS library is using?

Posts 21643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 5:26 AM

Michael S.:

How can I find out how much memory my LOGOS library is using?

Right-click the Logos icon, right-click "Logos Bible Software" and then right-click properties

Click "Open file location" to get to the Logos folder structures

Select all the folders in that directory, right-click and select Properties

Posts 619
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 10:08 AM

Excellent help Graham!  Thanks very much.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 8:10 AM

Thanks for the Surface Go review, Bill!  

You used to have an 8 inch Windows tablet with an Atom processor. How does the Go compare to that in terms of performance? I would guess that with the SSD and 8 gb of RAM, the Go should "go" better!

Thanks!

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 9:04 AM

Mark,

The performance of the Surface Go is better than the Asus 8" tablet I had back then. Yes, the additional RAM (8GB vs. 2GB for the Asus) and speed of the SSD (NVMe SSD vs. eMMC for the Asus) make a sizeable difference. But, that Asus tablet ran Logos off of a micro SD card and it was amazing that Logos was usable on it.

Logos on the Surface Go is good except when it is indexing. Then, it bogs down and I can't scroll windows with my finger. I will typically have to wait until the indexing is complete to read on it.

Posts 425
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 9:22 AM

Mark Nolette:

Thanks for the Surface Go review, Bill!  

You used to have an 8 inch Windows tablet with an Atom processor. How does the Go compare to that in terms of performance? I would guess that with the SSD and 8 gb of RAM, the Go should "go" better!

Thanks!

The Surface 3 and the Surface Go both contain 1.6 GHz processors. One thing that left me scratching my head, however, is that only the Surface 3's Intel Atom x7 chip has "boost speeds" of 2.4 GHz, which it sustains except under heavy usage. It would definitely be a poor choice as a portable video rendering machine! Of course, there's more to laptop/tablet performance than a CPU's clock rate (e.g., cores, threads, wattage, memory, GPU, etc.). I recall reading that the Surface Go's "Pentium" processor has the same basic architecture as the Core-3 (7th gen?) although clearly slower. If you search around on the web, there are sites where you can compare processors.

I recall that the SSD on the higher-end Surface Go models is far superior to the Surface 3. The 8 GB of RAM would likely be noticed too. It doesn't take that much to cross the 4 GB barrier. The CPU would probably be it's biggest choke point (i.e., on higher end models).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_3 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/atom/x-series/x7-z8700.html 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Go 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/pentium/4415y.html 

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 9:59 AM

Adam,

I tried to run Logos on a Surface 3 when it first came out. It was so laggy that I returned the Surface 3.

Yes, the choke point of the 8GB RAM/128GB SSD Surface Go is the processor. The other weak point is the battery life since they kept the battery capacity down a bit to reduce weight.

Many of us who like the 10" form factor would like Microsoft to put a faster processor in the Surface Go, but Microsoft positions this tablet under the much more capable Surface Pro.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:10 AM

Bill Anderson:

Mark,

The performance of the Surface Go is better than the Asus 8" tablet I had back then. Yes, the additional RAM (8GB vs. 2GB for the Asus) and speed of the SSD (NVMe SSD vs. eMMC for the Asus) make a sizeable difference. But, that Asus tablet ran Logos off of a micro SD card and it was amazing that Logos was usable on it.

Logos on the Surface Go is good except when it is indexing. Then, it bogs down and I can't scroll windows with my finger. I will typically have to wait until the indexing is complete to read on it.

Bill,

Thanks for your reply!

As we know, Logos is resource-intensive. Indexing would put a significant strain on the Go's CPU and would take much longer than, say, on a Surface Pro. The Go would probably be fine for reading resources or doing passage guides and the like. But the delays caused by indexing might test one's patience - possibly too much!  

I still have my Dell Venue 8 Pro with the 4 gb of RAM. It's fine for reading a resource, but the display is a bit small and the transitions from one window to the next a bit slow for any other work on it.  Also, my 64 gb of internal storage is not far from capacity - and that's with moving as much non-Logos stuff as possible to an sd card!   

A number of us have had this dream of a portable Windows device that could run Logos well. The Surface Go is a possibility, if one can deal with the indexing delays. But there may not be anything out there smaller than the Surface Pro and its competitors that can truly handle Logos these days.  

P.S. - Let Microsoft come out with a Surface Go Pro, with an i5, and we may have something...

Posts 14
First Reformed Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:37 AM

Appreciate this info.  Just checked out the Surface Go and after checking the Passmark score of the processor decided I wasn't too excited about it.

Then I checked the Passmark score on the processor in the old laptop I normally use on the go and the Surface Go score was more than double and my old laptop runs Logos relatively well since I put in the SSD.

Came here to see if anyone had anything to say about the Go and, of course, this forum came through again.  Will have to go to Best Buy and get hands on the Go sometime soon.

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 11:26 AM

I love mine. When indexing or preparing it is painful. I leave mine on at night and let it do that then. 

I absolutely love the form factor and I can do anything with it that I can do on a big computer which is cool. 

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 12:35 PM

Mark Nolette:

A number of us have had this dream of a portable Windows device that could run Logos well. The Surface Go is a possibility, if one can deal with the indexing delays. But there may not be anything out there smaller than the Surface Pro and its competitors that can truly handle Logos these days.  

P.S. - Let Microsoft come out with a Surface Go Pro, with an i5, and we may have something...

Yes, a Surface Go Pro would be fantastic -- with an eInk display! Smile

Posts 13226
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 12:47 PM

Bill Anderson:
Yes, a Surface Go Pro would be fantastic -- with an eInk display!

Have you seen this? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/lenovo-yoga-book-2018-review-the-keyless-keyboard-returns-now-in-e-ink/ 

Posts 5
Roberto Lugo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:12 PM

From the user experiences that I read here, it seems as though the only issues with Go are when Logos in indexing - but how often does Logos perform indexing?  Is it daily? Hourly?

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:46 PM

Roberto Lugo:

From the user experiences that I read here, it seems as though the only issues with Go are when Logos in indexing - but how often does Logos perform indexing?  Is it daily? Hourly?

The Surface Go doesn't index any more frequently than any other desktop or laptop.

The issue I sometimes (I said sometimes) run into is I am unable to scroll a window with my finger using the SG as a tablet when the SG processor is under load (like when indexing). Interestingly, if I hook up the type cover to the SG, put it in laptop mode and scroll using the touchpad instead of with my finger on the touchscreen, scrolling is not a problem at all. So, YMMV.

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:49 PM

Mark Barnes:

Bill Anderson:
Yes, a Surface Go Pro would be fantastic -- with an eInk display!

Have you seen this? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/lenovo-yoga-book-2018-review-the-keyless-keyboard-returns-now-in-e-ink/ 

Yes, I have. The specs are tempting, but I'm interested in the Surface form factor more than in a 2 in one like the Yoga. That, and it appears the Yoga's eInk display is pretty limiting right now when it comes to file types you can read on it. That, supposedly, should change. Thanks for bringing this up, Mark.

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee

Roberto Lugo:
but how often does Logos perform indexing?  Is it daily? Hourly?

In general, whenever resources in your library are added or updated.

Added depends on how frequently you buy new Logos resources from logos.com.

Updated can happen as frequently as every two weeks, if your library is large enough to contain the updated resources we publish every two weeks. And if this is too frequent, you can turn off automatic downloads and elect to download updated resources whenever it's most convenient for you.

Posts 3
Daniel H Park | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 11:32 AM

Are you still happy with the SG?  I'm looking into myself.  Looking for a low budget 2in1 laptop for on the go study, but also use it for notes, and possibly to replace my sermon manuscript when preaching.  

Would you say the 64GB model with 4GB RAM is too slow? 

Thanks

Posts 766
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 11:46 AM

Daniel,

I would strongly suggest that if you want a SG you opt for the 8GB RAM/128GB SSD model instead for a few reasons. First, you'll not have near to 64GB of storage on the base model. Out of the box, it will be somewhere in the 40s according to this article. That doesn't give much room. Second, the type of SSD in the base model is the much slower eMMC type of SSD and not the much faster NVMe SDD in the SG with the 128GB SSD. Third, 4GB of RAM could also be limiting in Logos. If you are budget constrained, I believe there is a 4GB RAM/128GB SSD version as well that uses the faster SSD. Costco sold it at launch; it may be more widely available elsewhere now.

I am not a pastor and haven't preached with a SG. Others may want to chime in on this. Using the SG for notes will be superb.

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:10 PM

Would be even superber if Logos integrated inking with a digital pen.

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:13 PM

I have the 128/8 version and have 56,000 resources on it. Couldn’t be happier. 

Page 3 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS