Treasures from the Scriptures? Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2018 8:23 AM

Anyone have any knowledge of this commentary set?  It looks to be written all by one author which makes me cautious.  Seems tempting at $150 though

www.logos.com/product/154966/

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 8:27 AM

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/gqOVK89XlmY

I own them and they are great sermon helps! 

DAL

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 8:42 AM

DAL:

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/gqOVK89XlmY

I own them and they are great sermon helps! 

DAL

Thank you DAL.  I'll take the bite on it Big Smile

Out of curiosity, any weird theological stuff you might know of that you have seen?  Arminianism Vs Calvin or Hell Vs Universalism?  Just curious

Posts 962
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 10:13 AM

To describe Calvinism as weird is a bit strong. Odd perhaps . . .

Wink Wink

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 10:40 AM

Angel

That did come about a bit weird, didn't it... haha

What I tried to convey, though I failed, was if he had any theological leanings.  It is nice to know those in advance so you can look out for them as you read them. 

Posts 377
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:32 AM

Looks to be from independent Baptist circles based on the recommendations and his own educational history. Think Baptist Bible College, Hyles Anderson College (from years back). The movement has had some great preaching and very aggressive (in a good way) ministry focus so might be useful for the preacher. The movement was typically less deeply expositional, not typically academic, and definitely not Calvanistic. Likely premil/pretrib. Very geared toward application.

These are assumptions based on his background and info on the website. I have not read the commentaries, so I will pass to others. None of my comments should be intended to be pro or con the independent Baptist movement - I previously spent 25 years there. Good folks. Like us all, they bring to the table good and bad elements.

Posts 377
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:34 AM

I might add very conservative (fundamental?) in doctrine and practice. Most would be KJV (often KJV only).

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 12:12 PM

I’m not sure, I’ve only use some of the outlines as starting points. I know he is a cessationist (i.e. miracles are not needed today because the word has already been confirmed); which I agree with that. As far as calvinism and stuff, I don’t really know where he stands. He seems conservative so far.

DAL

Posts 223
David Owh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 6:25 PM

This expository commentary tempting me also after watching this video https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=DZKY6PNX 

Logos 8 Win 10

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2018 6:34 PM

David Owh:

This expository commentary tempting me also after watching this video https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=DZKY6PNX 

Hey Matillo, watch the video embeded in this link. It’s more in-depth than the one I found.  It’s actually this one that I wanted to show you.  Gives more examples.

DAL

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2018 3:14 AM

Thanks! I'll check that out today

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 13 2018 1:10 PM

Matillo,

I bought the volume on Revelation from this series in WordSearch when I was teaching verse by verse through the book. I prefer Logos over WS, but I buy books in WS if they aren't available in logos.  I'm REALLY pleased to see it coming to the Logos platform, and I'm "in" on the pre-order.

Mattoon is conservative in the sense of literal interpretation and verbal plenary inspiration of the Scriptures.  If you would like to see a small portion from the volume on the Revelation, let me know, and I'll provide a properly attributed quote here if you give me a reference.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 14 2018 11:56 AM

Brother Mark:

Matillo,

I bought the volume on Revelation from this series in WordSearch when I was teaching verse by verse through the book. I prefer Logos over WS, but I buy books in WS if they aren't available in logos.  I'm REALLY pleased to see it coming to the Logos platform, and I'm "in" on the pre-order.

Mattoon is conservative in the sense of literal interpretation and verbal plenary inspiration of the Scriptures.  If you would like to see a small portion from the volume on the Revelation, let me know, and I'll provide a properly attributed quote here if you give me a reference.

Thank you Brother Mark!  Let's go with the classic Rev 20:1-3

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2018 11:14 AM

Attribution:  Mattoon's Treasures, Volume on The Revelation to John ("This prophetical book has 453 pages of study material. There are 31 chapters that cover the entire book of Revelation. The book is written with a pre-millennial, pre-tribulation viewpoint." -- from the website)

=======================================

Chapter 29.
The Future of Satan

Revelation 20

Every student of Revelation is aware that this chapter is shrouded with controversy. The disagreement revolves around the phrase "a thousand years" which appears six times in this chapter. This period has been referred to as the "Millennium." It comes from a Latin word, mille which means "thousand," and annus which means "years." The Greeks had a term for a thousand years. They called it chilias which means "one thousand." Whenever we use the terms chiliasm, millennialism, or millenial, the meaning is always a thousand years. The only important detail which Revelation adds concerning this promised messianic Kingdom is its duration of 1000 years.

Three schools of thought have taken their positions concerning the Millennium.

1. Amillennialism—This teaching believes in a literal return of Christ, but the thousand years and much of Revelation is not literal, but symbolical. Technically speaking, they don't believe in the Millennium. They believe Satan is already bound and that we are in the Millennium now.

2. Postmillenialism—This viewpoint holds that Christ does not come back until the conclusion of the thousand years. They believe man brings in God's kingdom on his own efforts and then the Lord returns. They believe the world will get better and better and then the Lord will return when there is Utopia on earth. They too believe Satan is already bound or else how could man usher in God's kingdom.

God's Word makes it very clear that Satan is not bound. Consider what Paul said in the New Testament.

2 Corinthians 4:4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Acts 26:18To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

1 Corinthians 5:5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

2 Corinthians 11:14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Ephesians 4:27Neither give place to the devil.

Ephesians 6:11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

1 Peter 5:8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Postmillennialism was made popular by Daniel Whitby in the 1600's and was accepted by theologians for many years. This teaching flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries as scientific discoveries and the Industrial Revolution were changing the world. The lies of Charles Darwin's theory of Evolution deceived people into thinking that the world was going to get better. World War One, the wickedness of the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression, the Jewish Holocaust and World War Two smothered the popularity of this teaching like a wet blanket.

3. Premillennialism—This is the position I hold to. This view believes that Revelation 20 is literal and that the thousand years is a thousand years. There will be no kingdom until Christ returns and Satan is bound by the Lord. The time of the Millennium was given by the Lord in Matthew 24:29, 30. It would be immediately after the Tribulation.

Matthew 24:29, 30Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Isaac Watts wrote the song "Joy to the World" over 250 years ago based upon the truths of Psalm 98. When he wrote the song, he did not have Bethlehem in mind, but the Millennial reign of Jesus Christ. This will be a wonderful age to live in as the Lord redeems creation.

The Conditions in the Millennium

1. It will be a time of REST & RECONCILIATION.

There will be peace in the world.

Isaiah 12:3-6... Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. [4] And in that day shall ye say, Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. [5] Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. Devil Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.

Isaiah 32:17, 18And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;

2. It will be a time of REJOICING.

Joy will be a characteristic of Christ's reign.

Isaiah 61:10I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Jeremiah 31:13, 14Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow. And I will satiate the soul of the priests with fatness, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, saith the Lord.

3. It will be a time of REVERENCE.

The Lord's kingdom will be a holy one. Holiness will be evident in the life of Christ and glorified believers. Once a year, people from all nations will go to Jerusalem to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 1:26, 27And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counselors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.

Isaiah 4:3And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem:

Zechariah 14:16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

4. It will be a time of RADIANCE.

God's kingdom will be a glorious kingdom. The Word of God will fill the earth.

Isaiah 24:23Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the Lord of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously.

Isaiah 40:5And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

5. It will be a time of REFRESHING & REVIVING.

The Lord will comfort mankind and fulfill his every need.

Revelation 21:4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Isaiah 66:13As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

7. It will be a time of RIGHTNESS & REASONABLENESS.

Perfect justice will be administered to every individual in the Lord's kingdom.

Isaiah 9:7Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Isaiah 11:5And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.

Jeremiah 23:5Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

8. It will be a time of RIGHTEOUS RECOMMENDATIONS.

Our Lord will instruct and teach us. We will learn from Him.

Isaiah 2:2, 3And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

9. It will be a time of the REMOVAL of the curse.

The original curse placed upon creation will be removed. There will be abundant productivity and the animal kingdom will be at peace.

Isaiah 11:6-9... The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. [7] And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. Music And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. [9] They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

Isaiah 65:25The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the Lord.

10. It will be a time of RECOVERY & RETENTION of life.

Except for penal measures, sickness and death will be almost totally removed. The longevity of man will be restored as it was in pre-Flood days. The Lord's healing ministry will affect the entire world.

Isaiah 33:24And the inhabitant shall not say, I am sick: the people that dwell therein shall be forgiven their iniquity.

Jeremiah 30:17For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord; because they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after.

Isaiah 61:1,2The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Isaiah 65:20There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

11. It will be a time of REPRODUCTION.

The living saints will enter the Millennium in their natural bodies and will give birth to children throughout the Millennial Age. The population in the world will skyrocket. Those who are born will still have a sin nature and will need to be saved just like us. The earth will blossom and reproduce abundantly; the desert will blossom as a rose; the Dead Sea will flourish.

Isaiah 35:1The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

Ezekiel 47:1, 8Afterward he brought me again unto the door of the house; and, behold, waters issued out from under the threshold of the house eastward: for the forefront of the house stood toward the east, and the waters came down from under from the right side of the house, at the south side of the altar. Then said he unto me, These waters issue out toward the east country, and go down into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed.

Zechariah 10:8I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they have increased.

12. It will be a time of a RISE in light.

There is going to be an increase of light in this age. The increase in light will lead to an increase in productivity in the earth.

Isaiah 60:19, 20The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

13. It will be a time of REMOVAL of language barriers.

The curse of Babel will be removed.

Zephaniah 3:9For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent.

14. It will be a time of REVIVAL.

The world will be united in the worship of Jesus Christ. The Lord will rule from Jerusalem. He will give Jerusalem a new name.

Zechariah 14:16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Isaiah 62:2-4... And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name. [3] Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God. [4] Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the Lord delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married.

15. It will be a time of REWARD & RESIDENCY.

Israel will finally possess all the land that God promised Abraham over 4000 years ago.

Ezekiel 47:15-21... North Border... And this shall be the border of the land toward the north side, from the great sea, the way of Hethlon, as men go to Zedad; [16] Hamath, Berothah, Sibraim, which is between the border of Damascus and the border of Hamath; Hazar-hatticon, which is by the coast of Hauran. [17] And the border from the sea shall be Hazar-enan, the border of Damascus, and the north northward, and the border of Hamath. And this is the north side. [18] Eastern border... And the east side ye shall measure from Hauran, and from Damascus, and from Gilead, and from the land of Israel by Jordan, from the border unto the east sea. And this is the east side. [19] Southern Border... And the south side southward, from Tamar even to the waters of strife in Kadesh, the river to the great sea. And this is the south side southward. [20] Western Border... The west side also shall be the great sea from the border, till a man come over against Hamath. This is the west side. [21] So shall ye divide this land unto you according to the tribes of Israel.

As the curtain opens on chapter 20 of Revelation, we find the doom of Satan.

I. THE INCARCERATION OF SATAN—20:1-3

These verses contain God's solution to the evil in the world. The solution is not environmental or an educational solution. Changing the environment does not change the heart of men. Adam and Eve sinned in a perfect environment. We will see later in Revelation that at the end of the Millennium, Satan will be loosed and he will deceive millions who were bora in this time period. These people will be living in a perfect environment, but their hearts will not be perfect toward God. An angel comes from Heaven and binds Satan in the bottomless pit for one thousand years. In order that righteousness and peace might thrive on earth, the Devil must be removed. Satan will be bound with a great chain just as the evil angels have been chained who attempted to corrupt the human race by cohabiting with women (Genesis 6:1-4).

Jude 1:6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

The place of Satan's imprisonment is the bottomless pit. It is a place of immeasurable depth of the underworld and lower regions. This place is not the Lake of Fire. It is the prison house for evil spirits awaiting judgment. Satan is bound here to restrain his evil work. For now, Satan continues to wage war against God and mankind.

1 Peter 5:8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

{See the Special Notes on "Satan" at the end of this chapter.}

Mattoon's Treasures - Mattoon's Treasures – Treasures from Revelation.

===========================================================

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 8:20 AM

Wow and Thanks!  My order is in on this one

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 12:16 PM

✔👍

"I read dead people..."

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 5:00 PM

WS just released 10 more volumes surpassing the ones available in Logos prepub; i.e. 68 in WS vs 65 in Logos. I have them all in WS as I got tired of waiting on Logos to wait on preorders to fund this series. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 3114
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 7:20 PM

I hope it makes the mark... Or logos just pushes it into production. Looks good

Posts 21
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:08 PM

It's worth picking up. Rod is a good man and had the opportunity to work with him during my time at WORDsearch and meet him at one of our training conferences.

Weekly Bible Study Tips - https://biblestudy.tips 

Posts 39
Bmickey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 7:12 PM

Any chance at all this makes it out of pre-pub?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS