A Penny for your thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2018 4:29 AM

I have many Hebrew resources, can someone help me think through why I may need this resource:

A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar, Second Edition

by Van der Merwe, ChristoNaudé, Jacobus A.

T&T Clark 2017

And, I have read the description, so please dont repeat that.  I want to know if I have HALOT, and many other works (like Holladay, etc).  Is this a valuable resource that I may not already have in kind?

Thanks!

Posts 12707
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 5:35 AM

Michael S.:
And, I have read the description, so please dont repeat that.  I want to know if I have HALOT, and many other works (like Holladay, etc).  Is this a valuable resource that I may not already have in kind?

It's completely different to HALOT and other lexicons. It's a kind of primer/reminder of intermediate Hebrew grammar. Whether you'll find it helpful depends on: (a) whether you're already at an intermediate level with Hebrew grammar, (b) whether you do exegesis in the Hebrew text.

If the answer is "yes" to both questions, and you don't already have something similar, I think you'd find it useful.

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 6:28 AM

Mark Barnes:

If ... you don't already have something similar, I think you'd find it useful.

What resources would you say are equivalents?

(A side thought- I wish there was a way to classify resources so you know when you are comparing apples to apples.  How am I to know if a resource like this one is not the same type of resource as HALOT?  There is tagging, but it doesnt break down enough to tell me what it is.  For example, broad category is Hebrew.  Secondary level is Grammar.  Third level is Lexicon or Dictionary, or whatever other categories that exist.- Does this make sense?)

Thank you Mark, as always, you are very helpful.

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 6:48 AM

My Hebrew resources:

1. Hebrew Syntax (third edition)- Davidson
  2. DBL Hebrew- Swanson
  3. Hebrew Bible Insert- Putnam
  4. LHB
  5. LHI
  6. Building Your Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary- Landes
  7. BHRG
  8. AFAT
  9. GKC
  10. LDHB- Intro and Glossary
  11. LXHEBANLEX
  12. Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to OT
  13. DSSI
  14. CHAL
  15. BDB and Abridged BDB
  16. BHS/WTS 3.5 Morph
  17. BHS and BHS/WIVU
  18. LA 151
  19. The Parallel Aligned Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Texts of Jewish Scripture- with and without Alexandrinus and Theodotion Variants- by Tov
  20. HAL
  21. A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew: Revised English Edition- Jouon, Muraoka 2006.
  22. The New Strongs Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words
  23. HAL Aramaic
  24. A Systematic Glossary to the Anderson-Forbes Analysis of the Hebrew Bible A-F Gloss
  25. Targum Lexicon

Posts 138
Rob Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 6:56 AM

Michael

I am learning Hebrew and haven't mastered anything; but, I heard Dr. Heiser sing the praises of this book.  Since I don't have the first edition I decided to buy this based on his suggestion that it is a standard type reference which will help.  He hasn't pointed me in a bad direction yet, so, I am sold based on his recommendation.

Rob

Posts 9276
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 8:17 AM

Michael S.:
For example, broad category is Hebrew.  Secondary level is Grammar.  Third level is Lexicon or Dictionary, or whatever other categories that exist.- Does this make sense?

Actually, to me: no

A lexicon or dictionary is not a subset of grammar. A grammar for me is a book that explains the rules about a language, how words and sentences are built, how grammatical functionalities are used to express things. Basics of Biblical Greek by W. Mounce is one well-known example for a Greek grammar, in my library I find even a grammar for (Shakespearian) English.

Lexicons/dictionaries are a totally different kind of thing, explaining the meaning of words. BDAG would be the comparable lexicon resource for Greek, Merriam-Webster or the Oxford English Dictionary for English.   

Michael S.:
I wish there was a way to classify resources so you know when you are comparing apples to apples.

Logos already classifies such resources. if you filter your library for type:grammar subject:hebr (note that it's not lang:hebr unless you want grammars written in Hebrew language concerning any language) you will see the books in your library that compare to the resource in question. 

HALOT will not come up for this - if you use type:lex subject:hebr the Hebrew lexicons including HALOT in your library will appear. 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12707
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 8:19 AM

Michael S.:
How am I to know if a resource like this one is not the same type of resource as HALOT?

In many that's just general theological training. It's not a specific Logos question (as obviously you could buy these resources in a normal bookshop, and the same questions apply).

It might help you to know that in the context of the title of this book, "grammar" is being used in the third sense of the definitions below:

1. the study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and syntax.
  2. these features or constructions themselves: English grammar.
  3. an account of these features; a set of rules accounting for these constructions:grammar of English.

grammar then, is a specific type of book that sets out all the rules for a language. On the list that you provided, you have one of these already: A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew: Revised English Edition. "A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar" is a very similar type of book.

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone for answering and helping.

Posts 560
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 10:38 AM

Mark Barnes:

On the list that you provided, you have one of these already: A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew: Revised English Edition. "A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar" is a very similar type of book.

I just realized, my number 7 is the first edition of this very book in question!! (Face palm)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS