Language tools: Immanuel

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 595
Armin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2018 9:13 PM

I don't speak Greek of Hebrew, so I am glad that Logos has extensive language tools. However, I still struggle a bit with it and wonder if the experts can help me here.

I wanted to look at the name "Immanuel" in Hebrew. The various tools and lexicons all say that it means "God with us". However, looking at the Hebrew parts of the word Immanuel, it only seems to contain "God" and "with". So how does the Hebrew state that God is with "us"? Where is the "us"?

Posts 595
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 9:23 PM

I just noticed something interesting. Here is a screenshot of what appears when I hover over the "HAL" resource in the Bible Word Study:

There is something on the the issue of "with us". 

However, when I click on the link and look at the HAL resource, this part is missing:

Any explanation for this? I run Logos on a Mac.

Armin

Posts 2359
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2018 9:47 PM

Armin:
However, looking at the Hebrew parts of the word Immanuel, it only seems to contain "God" and "with". So how does the Hebrew state that God is with "us"? Where is the "us"?

The first part of the word, עִמָּנוּ consists of a preposition עִם (with) followed by a pronominal suffix נוּ (us).

Armin:
However, when I click on the link and look at the HAL resource, this part is missing:

It's a typography issue that involves (word wrap and) the mixing of RTL and LTR text.

If you look at the resource, the entry starts with a Hebrew word, but the text is predominately English, and the content is written LTR.

However, if you look at the popup, it starts out "RTL-ish", with the Hebrew text starting on the right, reading to the left, and whenever English is encountered, only the English portion is rendered LTR.

In other words, all the same text is there, but the popup shifts some of it around, since it thinks the entire first sentence should be read RTL, not LTR.

You could report this as a bug. Not sure if it's easy to fix or not, but it's a common problem for other apps in addition to Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS