Adding Notes to Bible Versions Based on Greek Text Differences

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Matthew Friend | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 12 2018 5:28 AM

Hi Folks:

I have two questions I guess:

1.  I like the footnotes in the NKJV that gives greek text diferences (if it is M, or NU for instance).  I can see those by clicking on the number/link in the NKJV.  Is there a way to automatically display that info?

2. Is there a way to always display the footnotes (this info) for the NKJV so I don't have to click on the link to view?

3. Does anyone know of a website or a book in Logos that has a list of these differences that I could use for a passage list?

.... Not trying to start a discussion of merits of critical vs majority text... just trying to figure out how to make the info more easily available while studying in Logos...

Thanks,

Matthew

Posts 1160
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2018 9:28 AM

Hi Matthew.

3. The Lexham Textual Notes briefly discusses many of the same variations plus several others. It is structured like a commentary, so you could link it to the Bible window.

2 and 1. In your NKJV window, click on the cover. There is an option for "Show Footnotes on Page", but it only works if you have the "Columns" set to something besides "None". When you set the column value to 1 or more, then the display for the resource is "paged". Alternately, try hitting F11 to enter into "Reading View".

Also, you could basic search for the following to find all of these notes in NKJV. In the past I've used this as a visual filter on the NKJV to know which notes in the NT had text-critical information, and which didn't.

Hope it helps.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 8987
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2018 10:15 AM

Matthew Friend:
2. Is there a way to always display the footnotes (this info) for the NKJV so I don't have to click on the link to view?

An alternative to Rick's great advice would be to use the Infomation tool. Invoke it via the Tools menu or the command Show information in the command bar.

The tool will give you a multitude of things you may be interested in or not, and it can display footnotes: 

This includes the many cross-references in the NKJV - where you can choose to have them only shown, or opened - as well as the (actually quite rare) textual notes by the NKJV editors:

You can choose in the panel menu of the information tab whether its content is updated on clicking into the text or on mouse-over (hoover).

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11
Matthew Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2018 11:16 AM

Thank you very much Rick and NB.Mick!!

I had been keeping several Bible windows open and trying to scan the NKJV to see if there was a textual footnote number but it was a pain.

So now I have implemented everything except the Lexham notes.   I have a filter put on the NKJV footnotes that really catches my attention so I can still read other Bible versions and not have to focus so much on the NKJV.  I also have the Info box open and turned the NKJV into a one column so that the footnotes will show there also.

Thanks again for the great help!!!

Matthew

Posts 24251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2018 1:02 PM

Matthew, I like your questions - they uncovered some possibilities in Logos I'd not thought of.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS