New Logos User: Get 25% off base package now or wait for Logos 8 base package?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Jordan Kranda | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 12 2018 11:14 PM

I've decided to get Logos. I like the 25% off base packages going on for this month, but I've read about many people assuming Logos 8 will be released somewhat soon (i.e. maybe but the end of the year). I'm totally down to wait up if it's a better value.

MY QUESTION:

What's the better value: buying Logos 7 right now with the 25% off base packages and upgrade to Logos 8 when it gets released or wait till Logos 8 comes out to get my same package with Logos 8 feature set included?

Again, the basis for my decision is strictly value. I can wait, I just don't know how much it usually is to go from an older version of Logos to a new version of Logos, if I already had a library of resources. It might be cheaper to get a foot in the door now, but when Logos 8 comes out, it might end up being more of a value if I had just waited for Logos 8 to pull the trigger.

Apologies if this post is confusing.

I'd just appreciate advice.

Posts 4600
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 12:44 AM

No of us can answer this question with any certainty as FL don’t give out any details on planned released dates or potential changes to base package offerings, it would not make sense for them to do so.

If you like what you see now and the price is right purchase now and you will get dynamic pricing on Logos 8 and not loose anything you purchase now.

Jordan Kranda:

I've decided to get Logos. I like the 25% off base packages going on for this month, but I've read about many people assuming Logos 8 will be released somewhat soon (i.e. maybe but the end of the year). I'm totally down to wait up if it's a better value.

MY QUESTION:

What's the better value: buying Logos 7 right now with the 25% off base packages and upgrade to Logos 8 when it gets released or wait till Logos 8 comes out to get my same package with Logos 8 feature set included?

Again, the basis for my decision is strictly value. I can wait, I just don't know how much it usually is to go from an older version of Logos to a new version of Logos, if I already had a library of resources. It might be cheaper to get a foot in the door now, but when Logos 8 comes out, it might end up being more of a value if I had just waited for Logos 8 to pull the trigger.

Apologies if this post is confusing.

I'd just appreciate advice.

Posts 12263
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 12:54 AM

I agree with doc that you are best to buy now, to keep your options open. But, if I was you, I'd hold back the money I saved from the Logos 7 sale to put towards a Logos 8 upgrade.

When it comes to upgrading to Logos 8, you'll essentially have two options: either upgrading only the features, or upgrade the features while also adding new books. When you do an upgrade with Logos, you essentially pay for the part of the package you don't already own (that's called dynamic pricing). So if there's a 50% overlap between the packages, you'll pay roughly 50%; if there's a 75% overlap you'll pay roughly 25%.

The likelihood is that the cost to upgrade to Logos 8 features will be less than the money you can save from buying Logos 7 Gold or above. So it's likely that you could buy Logos 7 Gold + Logos 8 features for less than the usual price of Logos 7 Gold.

The only circumstance in which this situation would make you worse off would be if the books included in Logos 8 were substantially more useful to you than the books included in Logos 7. But even in that case, I'm sure that Logos would be willing for you to return your Logos 7 purchase and replace it with Logos 8. If you want reassurance about this, see this post from Faithlife VP Phil Gons: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/171505/991150.aspx#991150 

Posts 4105
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 1:43 AM

Hi Jordan

Welcome to the forum and I hope we can be of help to you. Unfortunately there are many misconceptions about the best purchase strategy for getting Logos software and Logos resources. My advice is to take a multi-stage approach.

1. Download and install Logos Basic it is free and will give you enough to get a feel of the program.

2. Consider purchasing the sub $100 dollar package that I think is called 'Logos Starter' - it is one step up from Logos Basic.

3. If you like the experience from above examine the contents of the the various Base Packages as you would books in a book store and make a list of those you would buy. If you save money by buying those books as part of a package then consider purchasing it. Don't consider the books you wouldn't pay money for but don't dismiss them either - they will be useful if only for the occasional reference made to them in the books you will actually read.

3. I you don't find anything particularly appealing in the current base packages then do steps 1 and 2 and wait for Logos 8. You have nothing to lose.

4. If you really like the experience consider subscribing to Logos Connect for additional features, ongoing discounts and odd free books. I think a subscription is good value.

Posts 4
Jordan Kranda | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 4:47 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback!

Posts 4
Jordan Kranda | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 5:13 PM

Thank you, Mark! I appreciate you explaining things like dynamic pricing to a Logos rookie like myself. All the info is really helpful. Thank you!

Posts 4
Jordan Kranda | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 5:15 PM

Thank you, Mike! I loved your advice. I've looked at the Logos Starter to get my feet wet. Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS