If I buy a new computer, where are highlights stored?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2018 5:00 PM

I may buy a new computer.

From where do I download my resources into the new unit?

Are my highlights in the cloud?  If so, how do I get the resources to ''wear'' them again?

Posts 26512
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2018 6:21 PM

The quick answer - relax, just download the software, use the same sign-in and Faithlife takes care of everything else. A new device will sync just as current devices do.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2018 11:40 PM

All Martha says and...

There are pages on the Wiki that allow a quicker install by scanning your original hard disc.

I have never done that because I do not want any glitches transferring across to a new install.

Grit your teeth, make the move almost last thing at night and allow the download and index to run while you sleep.

Don't forget to temporarily disable auto sleep on you new machine to allow this process to continue uninterrupted.

We want you in a good, satisfied customer mood, on your first day with your new toy.

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 12:08 PM

scooter:
From where do I download my resources into the new unit?

Automatic option is downloading from Faithlife servers, which includes Personal Books (PB) that have been uploaded.

If wish to avoid resource file download, then can use:

Resource files are identical on Windows and Mac so they can be copied using scan command (have successfully done so many times). Scanning resource files from one installation into another includes PB. Due to PB buggy issue of disabling indexes when uploaded/downloaded, have used scan to copy updated PB file(s) between installations many times.

scooter:
Are my highlights in the cloud?  If so, how do I get the resources to ''wear'' them again?

Yes - provided Use Internet is set to Yes and have synced with Faithlife servers.

Sync stuff is downloaded to new device, which includes "wear" marks.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 12:43 PM

Thanks, folks, for your help.  It is much appreciated!

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 1:54 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Resource files

Thinking on this some, does resource files include the volumes I bought through Logos??  I have no PBs.

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 2:53 PM

scooter:
resource files include the volumes I bought through Logos??

Yes, that is what "resource files" are. Books you purchased through FL (Logos or Vyrso/Faithlife eBooks). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 10:44 AM

Mike Binks:

I have never done that because I do not want any glitches transferring across to a new install.

Grit your teeth, make the move almost last thing at night and allow the download and index to run while you sleep.

Amen! YesYes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS