BUG? Upgraded to Logos 7, Downloading at 0% complete, Preparing library... never completes

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2018 7:15 PM

I recently updated my MacBook Pro to Logos 7 (from Logos 4), and the program itself seems to be working OK but the top of the screen indicates it has 1.57GB to download (0% complete) and is Preparing library... which doesn't complete. My network status shows about 14-21 KB/sec download (I have 3 MB download speed available), and the program is only getting about 8-10% CPU time (although LogosCEF gets 16%!). Hopefully there's a fixable problem here and this won't really take 3 days or more to download the 1.57 GB (@ 20 KB/sec). The indexer was running, so I quit Logos until the indexer finished, then restarted. I am including log files... Suggestions?

1134.LogosLogs.Bill.20180818-215144.zip

Posts 26628
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 5:28 AM

How much free space is on the drive? What kind of drive is it? (All recent MacBook Pro's would have an SSD, but you indicate that you are updating from L4, which indicates it may be an old device). 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 6:03 AM

Yes, I have an old device: late 2008. I have a 1 TB spinning hard drive, 500 GB used, 500 GB available.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 6:21 AM

I think I have solved the problem, but first the actions I took that DIDN'T work...

I restarted Logos 7 multiple times, always the same result: 1.57 GB to download, 0% complete, Preparing library...

I rebooted my MBP, which obviously meant I restarted Logos 7 once again, same results.

Each time I was able to use the program and loaded several of my layouts, but the download would never really start and the Preparing library would never complete.

While it was running (idling?, waiting?) last night, I went into the Preferences and changed the startup from Home to Any Layout, and left it running all night hoping it might accomplish some of the download.

This morning, after about 6 hours of non-productive running overnight, still no download nor termination to Preparing the library. I restarted Logos 7 once again, and the download started immediately! Instead of a nominal 20 KB/sec, it was now downloading at over 800 KB/sec, now that's more like it.

When the download finished, I allowed it to cycle through two or three Indexing your library and Preparing library operations, and now it starts up just fine.

Real problem and solution? Not sure, but here's what was different, and I'm pretty sure one of these things made the difference:

-- starting on a different day, Sunday - not a likely candidate

-- probably needed 8-10 false starts to work correctly - not a likely candidate

-- going into Preferences and changing default start from Home page to any layout - MY BET ON WHAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE FOR THE NEXT STARTUP... maybe something in the Preferences needed to be updated? Maybe starting with the default Home page is a bad idea? Maybe there was a deadlock situation between LogosCEF and Logos update/download software; I noticed LogosCEF did not start when my default startup was Layout instead of Home page.

Bottom line: Although I have an older MBP (late 2008), it still runs fine (OS X, 10.11.6), in this case the problem seems to have been a coordination issue in the Logos software... something in the initial preferences **OR** a timing/coordination problem between LogosCEF and Logos updating software.

Maybe someone from Logos software development can look at the logs in my original post and determine definitively what the problem was.

Posts 26628
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 1:36 PM

If you plan to keep this device for a while, I would suggest purchasing an SSD replacement for it. 

Had you installed L7 on another device, or have you been using L4 all this time? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 17633
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 4:32 PM

Bill Stevener:
Maybe starting with the default Home page is a bad idea?

Personally have changed my startup to Blank Layout due to Beta testing crashes of Home Page OR previous layout. Blank layout is useful for downloading/indexing resources while minimizing contention.

FYI: sometimes waking my Mac up from sleep has network connectivity opportunities.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 7:30 PM

Yes, I had already installed Logos 7 on my other MBP, only 3 years old (and it has an SSD)... one I keep in my home, the other in my office... but I had been using Logos 4 up until about 5 months ago!

Posts 2100
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 10:20 AM

Bill,

How much RAM do you have?

Posts 4494
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 11:23 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Bill,

Second post in the thread Philana...

Yes, I have an old device: late 2008. I have a 1 TB spinning hard drive, 500 GB used, 500 GB available.

Posts 24050
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 4:34 AM

Mike Binks:

Second post in the thread Philana...

If I had that much RAM, I wouldn't need a disk driveBig Smile  The log indicates 4 GB RAM, which is inadequate these days. 8 GB is the minimum for 64-bit systems.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 4:39 AM

Philana R. Crouch:

Bill,

Yes, that MBP has 4 GB RAM. Hopefully if you look at the logs you can determine if there was some sort of deadlock situation with LogosCEF, or a bad/invalid preference that got updated when I changed preferences to start with a Layout instead of the Home page.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 4:45 AM

Dave Hooton:

Mike Binks:

The log indicates 4 GB RAM, which is inadequate these days. 8 GB is the minimum for 64-bit systems.

Agreed, not a lot of RAM, but I never got a warning that I was out of RAM, and the monitor showed no swap being used, so apparently the system wasn’t asking for more.

Posts 2100
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 10:57 AM

Hi Bill,

In looking at your internet speed there is going to be a certain amount of slowness. You indicate that it's working right now. In the future, I would suggest you leave the app running overnight to give enough time for downloading and indexing to take place. 4GB of RAM will affect your indexing speed. If it takes longer than overnight to download then I would contact our CS department. They can remote into your desktop (with your permission) and take a closer look at things.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 4494
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 11:41 AM

Oops Philana

Once more I have jumped in far to early in the morning.

Apologies and assurance that I am on my second portion of humble pie.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 4:33 AM

Philana R. Crouch:

Hi Bill,

In looking at your internet speed there is going to be a certain amount of slowness. You indicate that it's working right now. In the future, I would suggest you leave the app running overnight to give enough time for downloading and indexing to take place. 4GB of RAM will affect your indexing speed. If it takes longer than overnight to download then I would contact our CS department. They can remote into your desktop (with your permission) and take a closer look at things.

Blessings,

Philana

Hi Philana,

Thanks for looking into this. If you notice in my earlier post, I describe how I DID let it run overnight, about 6 hours, and still no progress in the download. I also noticed when it was indexing, and indeed it took a significant part of the CPU time, but nothing extraordinary. The indexing worked fine each time it ran, no problems there.

After running overnight with no progress in the download (I think the 20 KB/sec I mentioned was probably just background tasks, or LogosCEF and the Logos program doing whatever they do), I changed the startup option to Layout, stopped and restarted Logos 7, and immediately the download started and used a significant (all) of my internet bandwidth, which is a good thing, and what I expected to happen.

Note that I had the same 4GB of memory, the same internet provider, the same amount of disk free space (500 GB)... the only difference was going into Preferences and changing the startup option (and inadvertently maybe some other Logos 7 options that were not available in Logos 4j, stopping and restarting Logos 7.

I was hoping that by providing the diagnostic logs you guys would be able to see what the real problem was, because I am convinced it was not due to any memory limitation, nor internet speed, since with the same memory and internet, everything worked well after changing the Logos configuration.

Bendiciones!

Bill

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 4:26 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Hi Bill,

Blessings,

Philana

Hi Philana, thanks for looking into this. You suggest that I leave the app to run overnight. In my post where I explain that everything is working now, I mention that I did leave the app to run overnight, it ran for over 6 hours and in the morning there was still no progress on the download. I also mention that the indexing, when it started, ran just fine, no problems with having just 4 GB RAM.

After running for 6 hours with no progress, I changed the startup preference to Layout, exited Preferences, exited Logos and restarted Logos 7. Immediately, with the same 4 GB RAM and the same internet provider, the download started and maxed out my available bandwidth, which is what I expected earlier. I am convinced that entering Preferences and changing the startup to Layout is what fixed the problem: either a setting in Logos 7 that was not available in Logos 4, or changing the startup to Layout and not causing LogosCEF to run.

I’m pretty sure that something in Logos 7 was deadlocked and not allowing the download to start. Hopefully with the log files I submitted you guys can see what really happened and make whatever changes might be necessary.

Bendiciones,

Bill

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS