Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Greg Enos | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:02 PM

Slow learner here. Using the Lexham Reverse Interlinear Vulgate New Testament (or other appropriate resource or resources), how can I obtain a display or listing of New Testament verses in which the Greek preposition διά is found in the Greek of the verse and the Latin preposition inter is found in the Latin translation of the same verse

Thanks if you can help a newbie!

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 2:35 AM

Hi Greg and welcome to the forums. 

The answer to your question depends on whether you have the Clementine Vulgate as the Interlinear is intended to work with this resource.

If you do, you can search for both the Greek and Latin lemmas (click on the picture below to see it full size):

If you don't have the Clementine, you can do this:

1. Search for the desired lemma in the Latin text. Save your search results as a Passage List.
  2. Search for the desired lemma in the Greek text. Save your search results as a second Passage List. 
  3. From one of the two passage lists, click on the merge button, select the second passage list, and click on intersection. This will give you the verses that appear in both lists, ergo, those that feature both lemmas.

PS: You may want to edit the title of your post since your question is about Greek and Latin, not Hebrew.

Posts 3619
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 3:43 AM

If you want to investigate how Greek words are rendered in the Latin, you can use the Bible Word Study tool. Start with the Greek word and in the Translation section, click on settings, and select the Clementine. As far as I know, this is only possible from Greek to Latin and not the other way around:

Posts 13118
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 3:59 AM

Francis:
As far as I know, this is only possible from Greek to Latin and not the other way around:

That's not the case. It appears so due to bugs/missing features.

You can get to the "other way around" by running the BWS for the Greek/Hebrew equivalent, then clicking on the section of the wheel that contains your Latin word, then clicking on the heading that appears.

I couldn't see an existing bug report, so I reported this as a bug.

Posts 3
Greg Enos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 3:31 PM

Oops! Latin is not a form of Hebrew, is it? --Even if some of the church fathers claimed that all languages are derived from Hebrew! Anyway, many thanks for the help.

Posts 3
Greg Enos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 3:32 PM

Very helpful--thanks so much!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS