Need advice: 30% off BECNT, good buy?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 11
Yeo Syah Zuan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:45 AM

I've been collecting top commentaries for the past many years yet I own no book from this series at all because I have never seen it gone on sale (I could be wrong though).

Can anyone who has been around long enough advice if this sale is a good buy?

Thanks!

Posts 218
Joshua Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 7:29 AM

I've never seen this collection on sale before either. Very tempted.

(If only I could pick and choose!)

Posts 44
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 10:22 AM

I'm also curious if this is one of the better prices. This is one of the oldest sets on my wish list, I don't recall it ever really being on sale. 

Posts 6864
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:53 AM

So far it’s the best price.  It’s been a while since it has been on sale at 30% off.  It’s an expensive set and is not complete yet. I really don’t like Baker doing “Revised versions” of some volumes instead of focusing on finishing the series.

Anyway, as far as mid-level commentaries goes, it’s one of the best out there.  If you all can afford it, buy it! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 626
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 3:33 PM

Bock's Luke (2 vols) and Acts are very good.

Posts 2164
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 4:13 PM

This kinds of says it all:

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/series/baker-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-becnt/ 

I want it so badly, yet am pondering how soon we will see Logos 8.  

Posts 3516
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 6:26 PM
Any one have any experience with the OT wisdom set? I love the NT one and concur the Bock volumes are top notch. I've heard conflicting things about the Psalms volumes with some saying they are the best and others claiming heresy and that the author is a post modern liberal
Posts 3516
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 6:31 PM

Link to OT set: https://www.logos.com/product/33633/baker-commentary-on-the-old-testament-wisdom-and-psalms 

Goldingay is the Psalms author

Posts 426
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 10:01 PM

I have the Psalms' volumes and really like them. In my opinion Goldingay is a solid author.

Posts 121
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 10:21 PM

I made a document about two years ago showing the prices and discount of certain books, set, etc. I have a note that the BECNT goes on sale for 35% off which puts it about as good a deal as has been offered since I got Logos 4 years ago. In the last two plus years, Baker stopped giving discounts on any of their books. A little pricey for me right now, but a definite step in the right direction for them to start offering discounts again.

Posts 56
Paul Knopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2018 2:36 PM

I too am a big fan of the Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms and bought it because of Goldingay's commentaries on the Psalms.  Unlike other commentaries on the Psalms, Goldingay's don't always point to Jesus or the Church, instead he opts to find meaning in the text itself.  Goldingay offers refreshing and accurate translations along with "theological implications." If you are interested in the meaning of the psalm and a potential application (not always Christo-centric or church oriented), this commentary is a great set to have.

-full disclosure, I took Hebrew Exegesis on the Psalms from Dr. Goldingay at Fuller

Posts 3516
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2018 7:16 AM

Thank you Paul

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS