Search Help

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 1 2018 4:33 AM

I am wanting to generate a list of passages where Jesus submits to the Father or God.

Any suggestions?

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 8:34 AM

I....HATE....the.....Searching......in.......LOGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still waiting on an expert to share the secret code for this search, but also I tried finding where Jesus quotes Ps. 110:1, and cant even figure out how to do that.

Ive tried several "codes"-

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} NEAR {Speaker <Person David>}

Jesus NEAR David

Jesus WITHIN 4 WORDS David

<Person Jesus> NEAR <Person David>

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS {Speaker <Person David>}

And others I cant remember...

It takes more time trying to figure out how to search than flipping pages in a physical book!

AH!

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:31 AM

Michael S.:

I am wanting to generate a list of passages where Jesus submits to the Father or God.

Any suggestions?

Challenging request since John 5:19 and John 5:30 implication is Words of Christ (red letter) plus more for passage list.

([field words-of-christ] "do nothing")

FYI: specifying field in search allows Web App and/or application to be used.

One search strategy is having some verse(s) that ought to be included so can look at those verse(s) using Information or Right Click to find more.

An idea is finding will in Words of Christ that intersect <Person God>

([field words-of-christ] "will") INTERSECTS <Person God>

Noticed John 4:34 was not included (bit surprising) so modified search:

([field words-of-christ] "will") WITHIN 2 WORDS <Person God>

Apologies for brief reply since leaving for prison to be locked up with faith family this afternoon/evening.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13347
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:49 PM

Michael S.:

Any suggestions?

This is a great question, but one that's very difficult to answer — after all, Jesus' whole life was lived in submission to His father.

So — forgetting search syntax for a moment — what criteria are you looking for? There probably aren't that many verses in the Gospel that explicitly say that. Do you want to include verses from the epistles that refer to Jesus' obedience, but don't mention a specific episode in his ministry?

So I'm not even sure I'd attempt a search, certainly not to start. I'd simply look at the Dictionary of Bible Themes for their entry of "Jesus Christ, obedience of". If you want to take that further, you could try cross references to the passages it points you to.

No need to search, IMO. Don't make life difficult for yourself.

Posts 13347
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:54 PM

Michael S.:
Jesus quotes Ps. 110:1, and cant even figure out how to do that.

Just use the OT use of the NT interactive. It's on the Tools menu. Open the Tool, click on Psalms as the OT book, the Jesus as speaker. Click on Quotation  Then click Source (at the top right), to sort in the order of the OT passage, and it's easy to scroll to the Psalm 110 references (some are allusions or echos — you can click Citation to exclude those.

If you really want to search, the syntax is 

{Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Psalm 110:1>} INTERSECTS {Speaker <Person Jesus>}

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:59 PM

Michael S.:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS (<PreachingTheme = Submission>, {Section <PreachingTheme = Submission>}) could be a good place to start.

It will include more than you are looking for but should be relatively easy to discard those.

The "Section" information was derived from looking at the passage in Matt 26 and seeing the Preaching Theme associated with it.

A more complete search is {Speaker <Person Jesus>} INTERSECTS {Section <FigurativeLanguageType = Father as God>} INTERSECTS (<PreachingTheme = Submission>, {Section <PreachingTheme = Submission>})

EDIT: I've just seen Mark's post above and his advice sounds good to me!

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2018 1:00 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Apologies for brief reply since leaving for prison to be locked up with faith family this afternoon/evening.

Keep Smiling Smile

TODAY'S WINNER: Best excuse in a Theological setting.

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS