No Room 4 More

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 4 2018 1:09 PM

Running out of room on my Surface Pro 3. Thinking about movin on up to a laptop with better performance and more room to grow. I'm no techie so would love to hear opinions on this HP or any better alternative not interested in Apple so that's a thing. Otherwise, feel free to advise. Thanks

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 2:35 PM

The processor is dual-core with poor performance results. It will be slow indexing a large Library, even with the SSD. Consider an 8th generation i5 processor with SSD for better performance with Logos. My i5-8250U laptop with 256 GB SSD cost the equivalent of $US650, and will be much faster in Logos than this HP.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 3:04 PM

I would go with something like this:

HP Spectre x360 15-BL152NR 2-in-1 15.6" 4K UHD TouchScreen Laptop - Core i7-8550U, GeForce MX150, 16GB Memory, 512GB Solid State Drive (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799849GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QdWJBbJC96065 

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
  • 15.6" diagonal 4K IPS eDP micro-edge BrightView WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD, 16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 3:12 PM

Dave Hooton:

The processor is dual-core with poor performance results. It will be slow indexing a large Library, even with the SSD. Consider an 8th generation i5 processor with SSD for better performance with Logos. My i5-8250U laptop with 256 GB SSD cost the equivalent of $US650, and will be much faster in Logos than this HP.

Thanks Dave, 

is this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Touchscreen-Flagship-i5-8250U-Keyboard/dp/B07FP2FGPK/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1536098742&sr=1-7&keywords=laptop+8th+gen+i5+ssd+1+terabyte more like it?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 3:38 PM

Beloved:

Yes!  But with shared graphics memory, you would lose about 1 GB of the 8 GB RAM. So go for 16 GB RAM, or a model with a dedicated video card (with its own memory).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 3:58 PM

Wild Eagle:

HP Spectre x360 15-BL152NR 2-in-1 15.6" 4K UHD TouchScreen Laptop - Core i7-8550U, GeForce MX150, 16GB Memory, 512GB Solid State Drive (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799849GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QdWJBbJC96065 

• Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

I have one of those and absolutely love it.  Works great for Logos.  My son has one too and loves it. 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 4:28 PM

Dave Hooton:
Yes!  But with shared graphics memory, you would lose about 1 GB of the 8 GB RAM. So go for 16 GB RAM, or a model with a dedicated video card (with its own memory).

will this be adequate or should I insist on a terabyte of memory for my hdd?

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 4:34 PM

Wild Eagle:

Good Look Wild Eagle,

I'm a cheapskate value plus price wins me over every time. Appreciate your input.

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 6:25 PM

Beloved:
I'm a cheapskate value plus price wins me over every time.

Yes, but "value" may not be easy to assess. 

Unrelated item, same principle: We needed a shelf/rack for our basement. I had purchased a couple previously and planned to buy an identical one. When we arrived at the store, they were no longer carrying the same one, but they had something similar-ish. And it was half the price! I was leaning towards not getting it but my wife talked me into it. After all, it was a good "value" and the "price" was half what we anticipated. Long story short: It was a piece of junk, and I ended up buying what I wanted at another store. In the end, we paid 1.5x what we had intended! 

I have known other self proclaimed "cheapskates" who refused to spend $$$ on a new computer. They would buy a ($$) computer and then end up buying some other part for it ($). After a little time of continued dissatisfaction, they would buy another ($$) computer. In the end, they spent $$$$$! 

Buying the most expensive computer isn't the solution, but getting a "value" computer isn't always a good value! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 7:44 PM

Beloved:
will this be adequate or should I insist on a terabyte of memory for my hdd?

Not enough detail and you need an SSD.  The Dell looks better, especially if you can get it with 16 GB RAM

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 12:13 AM

Hi Beloved.

"I'm a cheapskate value plus price wins me over every time. Appreciate your input."

"Yes, but "value" may not be easy to assess."

I am no expert on Windows machines.

But one way of assessing value is to try and work out the 'total cost of ownership'.

Do a spread sheet of the cost of the computer over how long you expect it to function.

What is the cost of additional software that you will need - Office Suite etc?

What is the cost of removing the bloat software you don't need?

What will you have to spend on Malware and Virus protection?

Will you need cloud backup - extra video capacity - extra ports - additional hard drives?

Work out the total cost of the machine say over four years and then try and assess the value.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:13 AM

Dave Hooton:
Not enough detail and you need an SSD.  The Dell looks better, especially if you can get it with 16 GB RAM

I'm going to call Dell later on today and see if I can get 16 GB RAM.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 2:17 AM

Mike Binks:

Hi Beloved.

"I'm a cheapskate value plus price wins me over every time. Appreciate your input."

"Yes, but "value" may not be easy to assess."

I am no expert on Windows machines.

But one way of assessing value is to try and work out the 'total cost of ownership'.

Do a spread sheet of the cost of the computer over how long you expect it to function.

What is the cost of additional software that you will need - Office Suite etc?

What is the cost of removing the bloat software you don't need?

What will you have to spend on Malware and Virus protection?

Will you need cloud backup - extra video capacity - extra ports - additional hard drives?

Work out the total cost of the machine say over four years and then try and assess the value.

Ok Binks, I'm going to travel to my Apple store and see if we can do a deal.

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:26 AM

Beloved:

Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 6:12 AM

Beloved:

Well, my brother, I tried to keep my advice platform neutral. I guess my proclivities showed through?

In my case the choice of Apple for an machine and operating system was made a good few years ago.

My 'Total Cost of Ownership' calculations included either coping with 'Open Office' or purchasing 'The Microsoft Office Suite'; a significant cost at the time. It also involved the amount of time I was spending updating the Virus Protection and the operating system itself.

It wasn't helped by the fact that Window's Vista was probably the worst Operating System ever sold. Nor was I enamoured by the fact that I went to Dell for a computer and couldn't buy one with a clean hard disk – they would negotiate on price but never about removing the installed detritus on the hard drive.

While I have done the 'Total Cost of Ownership' exercise for mobile phones a couple of years ago I now find that I would am happy to pay a premium (if there is actually a premium which I doubt) for the ease of use and the peace of mind of being in the Apple eco system.

I was also fortunate that Logos started releasing the Mac versions of its software at the same time as I chose to make a change.

Let us know how you get on.

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2018 8:10 AM

Beloved:

in a week (12 Sep), Apple will be showing off some new products (reading some rumors about mac model updates, but not know what will be shown next week). Apple offers refurbished Mac => https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac (model prices have tendency to drop a bit after a refresh)

LibreOffice is a free Office Suite. When Oracle acquired Sun, many Open Office developers migrated to Libre Office.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS