iPad - About to make the purchase

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 18 2010 10:09 AM

After many, many weeks of saving all of my pennies, literally, I'm about to purchase my iPad. I've decided to get the Wi-Fi version since my new cell phone will function as a Wi-Fi hotspot on their 4G network that is currently available in my area. But I do have one question regarding the various Wi-Fi versions.

I think that the 16GB is too small, but I'm not sure if I really need the 64GB version. So, I'm thinking about the 32GB version. Since I've whinned in the forums for months regarding the iPad, I wanted to know if any of you think that the 32GB is too small and would advise me to get the 64GB instead.

By the way, Apple will not allow you to pay cash for an iPad. You have to use a charge or debit card for the purchase. I can't wait to share that information with my husband since he's the one who said, "Christina, you shouldn't charge the iPad, save up and pay in cash." Hmm, guess I need his charge card after all! Okay, don't blast me, a girl just wanted to have a little fun in return for all my months of living without an iPad!  

Thoughts? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have a blessed day!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:12 AM

Christina, I picked the 32 GB, and so far I haven't been disappointed, with never more than 18GB at a time on it. I have not chosen to download vast portions of my Logos library, simply because I don't see the need. I keep 5 or 6 bibles there, as will as a couple of commentaries for studies I am currently working on. That, my music collection a couple of movies and other books that I am currently reading, only fills it up a little over half way. 

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:24 AM

Christina,

32 GB is the sweet spot. it is enough even if you include music and some videos.  like your setup (because it is also my setup).

16 GB might be too restrictive as Logos might publish more and more resources in the mobile format and enhance others (hopefully with things like a complete table of contents with large works such as encyclopedias).

64 GB appears to be an overkill (unless you plan to put a lot of video and multimedia contents, it cannot be justified for someone using it primarily for Logos).

32 GB is also the best deal in my opinion if you are looking for resale value in a year or two when the 16 GB model might be eliminated.

I am also tempted to  upgrade my phone to the Sprint HTC EVO 4G but I do not like the extra fees that Sprint is adding ($ 30 and $10) and the fact that I only pay $30 for 500 minutes now with my Treo 850 Pro (SERO plan) and I will have to get a much more expensive plan that will more than double what I am paying now.

Alain

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 12:07 PM

Christina,

32GB should be plenty. I have a 16GB, and since I don't store music or movies on it, it is always free of space. Pandora (free) and Air Video (2.99) are great apps to look into, as well as a whole bunch more.

Alain,

I like your setup! i have the Treo Pro with SERO also, which I use with wmwifirouter when needed. It isn't very often, since there is wifi in most places. If we want to keep our plan, we may have the phone for a while to come.

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 1:23 PM

I only have the 16, about 8 is filled up, mostly with books, and some files.  Very little music on it now. Have an iphone with 16 also, and keep lots of music on that, and it is not filled up, although getting close.  

So far I have not regretted getting the 16.

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 4:45 PM

Hey Christina,

I know very little about the ipad...does it have a usb?  There are small portable hardrives that are inexpensive or you can get flash drives also to store files on that would fit in your pocket and would give you added storage space...just an idea...

blessings,

danp

Posts 5
Theo Lodder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 5:48 PM

What are people's thoughts on getting the version with WiFi?

Posts 5
Theo Lodder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 5:50 PM

What I meant was:  what are people's thoughts about getting 3G? Is it really worth it if you're just going to use it for reading, mostly?

Posts 607
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 6:11 PM
I got the 32 gig wi-fi and have at this point never had any need of the 3g.  Every place I've been has had wi-fi available, even the doctor's office.  I use it at home 90% of the time.  The only time i can think of for using 3G might be in the car for turn by turn directions, but for me, that's not an issue at all.

As far as the size, I have never had less than 22 gigs free.  However, I use my iPod classic for all my music as well as audio podcasts. I use the iPad for reading books, reading logos, and video podcasts.  The only reason I went for 32 gigs is because there is no way to use external memory and no way to upgrade the internal memory, so it was purely precautionary.  You never know what you might use the iPad for 2 or 3 years down the road.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:56 PM

I know this is not the same thing but I recently purchased an Ipod Touch....very nice....32 GB is plenty!

I think Dave Ramsey would be Ok with this kind of a purchase.  Put it on the Credit Card but same day put a check in the mail for the purchase to the credit card company.   Never living on credit that way.  

FYI, I am NOT debt free but am really trying.  Smile

Posts 13
bvz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 4:38 AM

Christina,

just saw this about paying with cash.

http://9to5mac.com/ipadcash?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

enjoy the ipad!

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 5:05 AM

I think it's like anything, get what you can afford. For me I settled for the 16GB but I don't use it for music I too have an iPhone and iPod nano for that. I use it almost exclusively for web browsing, mobile entertainment, document display and note taking at church and staff meetings. It has replaced a lot of tasks I used to use my laptop/desktop for. With all that I have installed including Logos with several downloaded resources, Pages with text documents, pdf 's, games and web apps, I still have over 11GB available. But, one thing I'm not sure of is if it reports memory usage of downloaded and stored documents, anyone know if this is included in your memory usage reports? I think you will be very pleased with your purchase, and btw, I have the wifi only version and am content with that, I didn't want to pay another $30 dollars a month for 3G. It would be nice if AT&T would release the tethering option which my iPhone is capable of but not allowed to use.

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 5:49 AM

I have the 64 gig with 3G. Won't have 3G coverage until Nov (and it will NOT work with 2G (Edge technology)), so you can have an iPhone working right next to an iPad which doesn't even get a signal. When I end up putting photos and music (almost 30 gig worth) on it - the need for 64 gig was evident to me. Get the most you can afford - better too much than finding out you needed more.  Remember, there is no expansion (no USB) so what you get as far as physical storage...that's it . Enjoy the iPad. I do like mine a lot.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 12:23 PM

JohnKaess:

The only reason I went for 32 gigs is because there is no way to use external memory and no way to upgrade the internal memory, so it was purely precautionary.  You never know what you might use the iPad for 2 or 3 years down the road.

I was thinking of getting the 64GB because I want as much space as possible for apps, videos, pictures and music. But I've now got an AirStash on its way, which will cover the music and videos, so the smaller size should do. The Airstash looks a great way to keep media off the ipad yet accessable by it.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2010 5:00 PM

BenVanZee:

Yes, I saw that yesterday and it made me smile. I'm so happy for the lady, Denise, and am thankful that Apple changed their policy. The situation bother me even more because my husband went to an Apple store last week to get a gift card for me as my Anniversary gift. He thought it would be a wonderful way to bless me for my efforts to pay cash for the iPad and would move me closer to my goal. Unfortunately, they (Apple) won't allow you to use a gift card towards the purchase of an iPad and I'm not sure if the change in the cash policy impacts gift cards as well. 

So, my husband purchased a portable printer for me which was something I wanted as much as the iPad. 

Thanks for sharing! Everyone has been just wonderful and I've gotten some great advice. I'm probably going to order the iPad in two weeks so I'll have it about the same time as my new cell phone arrives. 

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS