A better search for the Father sending the Son

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 116
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 12 2018 9:28 AM

I wanted to do a search in the gospels for all the instances where it references the Father sending the Son. I used the search 

<Person God> AND <Person Jesus> INTERSECTS <LouwNida ~ 15.66> in NKJV

restricted to the Gospels and got 33 hits. But I think there is a better way to write this as identifying God as the actor and the Son as the recipient of the action but I don't know the right way to structure that. Since the Son doesn't send the Father I don't think I got any incorrect results but still, I'd like to learn to do it better.

Thanks

Posts 22364
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 10:12 AM

William McFarland:
I wanted to do a search in the gospels for all the instances where it references the Father sending the Son.

I would use a Clause Search - either with Subject:God / Object:Jesus or Agent:God / Theme (or Patient):Jesus

But note that different words have different glosses and you need to use each one in turn (I found you needed to use the first three to get the complete set)

EDIT: And on a more general note I was studying this earlier in the year and found it fascinating to look at instances of one member of the Trinity "acting" on another - so "subject:God / object:Jesus" or "subject:Jesus / object:God" etc.

Posts 18117
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 1:18 PM

William McFarland:
<Person God> AND <Person Jesus> INTERSECTS <LouwNida ~ 15.66>

Search results include Luke 9:2 where Jesus sent disciples to proclaim Kingdom of God

Bible Sense Lexicon shows "to move" is a grandparent of "to dispatch" so one search idea is God sending (moving)

<Person God> INTERSECTS <Sense to move>

Bible Search can be modified to include verses with Jesus

(<Person God> INTERSECTS <Sense to move>) AND <Person Jesus>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 116
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:03 PM

Graham, thank you when I combined the first two searches I got to 36 results. The third search yielded zero results. These look good.

Keep Smiling, thank  you but that doesn't seem to yield the results I am looking for.

Anyone else have an idea? I would love it if I could do it in one search.

Posts 22364
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:32 PM

William McFarland:
Anyone else have an idea? I would love it if I could do it in one search.

KS4J's suggestion of using a "sense" search is good - and you can combine it with my original clause search

Posts 116
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:38 PM

Thank you both KS4J and Graham, that seems to do it in one search.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS