Best Logos Tip?

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 715
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 2:49 PM

Dave Hooton:

Have a named layout(s) with your favourite/most used resources, at least one guide, two Search panels in separate tiles, and a narrow tile on the right for Tools like Highlighting, Information, Favorites. No more than 20 panels in total. Advantages:

• When you search, you can often select from Open Resources
  • You can compare two sets of search results side-by-side
  • You can put bibles and commentaries in a link set(s).
  • More flexible than Home Page layouts.
  • Can accommodate your study method

I would add that it is nice to have a Bible NOT in a link set, but flagged to "send links here".  That way, when chasing down rabbit trails, the working link sets are not disturbed.

Posts 9464
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 3:09 PM

David A Egolf:

I was showing this to my son on Monday.  We noticed that if our Bible is linked to the Commentary pane, and if a commentary did not comment on that section of scripture, our Bible would be pulled off to the closest reference in the commentary.  Thus, we would have to reposition the Bible by typing the passage.

Both of us had a recollection that the Bible frame could be "locked" to the reference to keep this from happening, but we didn't see any way to keep the Bible from "wandering off".  Does anyone know how to keep the passage firmly in place in the Bible while scrolling through a myriad of commentaries?

Multiview panel.

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:32 PM

Denise:

David A Egolf:

I was showing this to my son on Monday.  We noticed that if our Bible is linked to the Commentary pane, and if a commentary did not comment on that section of scripture, our Bible would be pulled off to the closest reference in the commentary.  Thus, we would have to reposition the Bible by typing the passage.

Both of us had a recollection that the Bible frame could be "locked" to the reference to keep this from happening, but we didn't see any way to keep the Bible from "wandering off".  Does anyone know how to keep the passage firmly in place in the Bible while scrolling through a myriad of commentaries?

Multiview panel.

MV won't solve this dilemma because you can't cycle through parallel resources in the MV resource. There have long been requests for a master/slave distinction in linksets, but I've seen no promise of this. My approach to this problems is to NOT have the commentary in a linkset. Instead, I have a passage guide (with the commentary collections I'm interested in) in a linkset with my Bible. Clicking on a commentary link in the guide for a commentary that is already open will of course simply update the location. This allows me to instantly open a commentary to the right location, but as I read and scroll, there's no danger of moving the Bible reference since the commentary is not in a linkset.

Does that make sense?

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:39 PM

David, I should clarify that Multi-View does work for scrolling in a given resource(s) without affecting the parent resource's location. It just won't work for cycling between multiple commentaries.

Posts 5728
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 8:49 AM

Subscribe to MP seminars Camp Logos videos for a couple of months to master your favorite functions 👍😁👌 You’re $14.95 x 2 or even x 3 will be well spent!

DAL

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 10:45 AM

Ryan can you give us a screen of this?

I don't quite get where the arrows are.

Thanks

P A

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 12:27 PM

P A:

I don't quite get where the arrows are.

Ryan was speaking of the left/right arrows on your keyboard.

Posts 1237
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 12:31 PM

DAL:

You’re $14.95 x 2 or even x 3 will be well spent!

I agree. Here's the link for those who wish to act: https://mpseminarsonline.com/product/membership/ 

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 12:36 PM

Reuben

Thanks

P AYes

Posts 582
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 7:37 AM

Another tip is in the command box at the top (next to "Tools") type in the phrase

Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery

This will open up your library to a random place. You may end up in the middle of a Latin Bible or in the middle of a fascinating article on Biblical Archaeology or anything else. Not necessarily useful for a research project, but it's a good way to discover hidden gems in your library you may not have known about.

You can even drag the phrase from the command box drop down menu and place it on your shortcut bar if you like the feature.

Posts 707
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 4:45 PM

Ryan:

Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery

This will open up your library to a random place...

Yes, that's a fun one. And the variation of this I really love is:

fsd in journals

But you can also do bizarre things like

fsd in lexicons

Stick out tongue

Nerds like me have strange versions of fun.

Posts 121
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:36 PM

Doc B:

Matt Stidham:
So, what is your best Logos tip?

Don't buy it in the first place.

Logos is the best in the business. What other Bible Study program is better? I own almost all of them and find that Logos is the best. Even Accordance can't do all the things that Logos can do and they certainly don't have all the resources that Logos has. They're also less intuitive than Logos is, with the exception of some simple Bible p[rograms that can't do what Logos can do. The only problem that I have with Logos is that it can be slow to load resources and startup, but that is something I can live with since it isn't a constant thing. I think the reason that Logos is slow is the massive amount of code that is running to accomplish all the things that we want it to do. If they rebuilt it from scratch I think that it would run lighter and faster but that is a big job that would take a couple of years to complete.

Posts 121
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:49 PM

David A Egolf:

"get control of your notes"!  There are lots of threads in this forum with ideas on how to organize note files.  There have been many people who arrive at this forum after finding that their notes have all been accumulated in a single highlighting pallette which has grown so large that it slows everything down.

Getting in the habit of creating one notes file per resource is a good default.

I agree, Dave. Notes are one of the most valuable things about Logos. I have worked on that since I started using Logos. My strategy for notes can be found in this thread:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/160958/961048.aspx#961048

I'm sure there are more ways to do it but I haven't found one that I like better. I'm always open to new Ideas though.

Posts 44
Ed Jent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 7:37 AM

Yes I have asked for a "locked" reference many times and I hope this picks up steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts 362
Wyn Laidig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2018 7:12 AM

If you can, go to a Morris Proctor Camp Logos seminar.  That is the best way to really jump start your Logos experience.  I found it well worth the time and investment.  If you can't go in person, I think you can buy the video of the it

Posts 76
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2018 7:32 AM

Wyn Laidig:
If you can't go in person, I think you can buy the video of the it

You can also subscribe to his online seminars https://mpseminarsonline.com and they are a great help. It used to be about $15/month but I think he might have just raised the price to $20/month. Still worth it and you can stop whenever you like.

Bill

Posts 17458
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:55 PM

Matt Stidham:
I'm wondering what your best tip is for Logos?

Welcome Big Smile

My favorite feature is visual filter highlighting so can "see" range of original language verbal expression. Thankful for visual filters that were created using Logos 4 still being usable in Logos 8. Logos wiki has => Examples of visual filters

More recently added precept visual filters (so can "see" repeating topics) => more inductive symbols

Thankful for option to not show uninspired Chapter and Verse numbers.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS