Dynamic Pricing Oddity: Expansion Sets

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 782
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 20 2018 5:31 PM

I've bought a few expansion sets now that they've got an attractive discount that's hard to resist. But the dynamic price behavior is a bit odd. Two observations:

1. Today, on the product page, I had a price of $147.13 for one expansion set. When I clicked the button to add it to my cart, the price shown was $148.52. Not a huge deal, money wise, but an interesting glitch. (A saleperson fixed it for me, anyway.) By the way, before I started the purchasing process, I refreshed my page. I probably even cleared my cache (ctrl+F5), but I cannot affirm that beyond all doubt.

2. Having safely purchased that wonderful pile of resources, I checked the prices on other expansion sets. Some prices went up (usually not by very much); some prices went down (which is what I would expect if the two sets shared resources I did not previously own); and some, of course, stayed the same. (I had recorded the prices of all the XL sets all along my decision making journey.) I cannot understand this behavior, but it suggests that the dynamic pricing algorithm is not as systematically applied as one might expect. This is especially true if there are no shared resources between the expansion set I bought earlier and the others I was looking at afterwards.

Lew

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2018 8:50 AM

Thank you for reporting this Lew, we'll take a look at the Library Expansion Bundles to see if anything is not working as it should.  Do you happen to know which of the bundles went up in price? 

Posts 782
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:00 AM

Hey Glenn,

The list below shows two prices for the following bundles. The first price listed appeared right after I purchased Biblical Interpretation XL. The second appeared after something else, such as dropping it into my cart. I'm sorry; I cannot remember the specific action I took in each case. But I was pretty systematic in recording the two prices:

Gospel XL: 158.39; 157.81

Jewish XL: 112.91; 113.05

New Testament XL: 89.90; 88.12

Old Testament XL: 151.83; 150.95

Greek XL: 159.72; 158.77

Hebrew XL: 69.34; 70.62

In addition, I then purchased the New Testament XL bundle, and the following prices changed, even though I don't THINK (but I could be wrong) there were any overlapping resources:

Church History XL: 164.55; 164.53

Apologetics XL: 150.72; 150.67

Philosophy XL: 120.46; 119.40

Theology XL: 145.55; 145.13

These numbers are not enough to dissuade me against or persuade me toward buying anything, and I know the algorithm must be pretty intricate, so it's not a huge deal to me. But it may indicate potential issues related to design or something. (I'm a developer, so I know sometimes things change in one area that needs an update in another, but it doesn't happen.)

Thank you for looking into it.

Posts 782
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 11:05 AM

I've noticed that the pricing has behaved very predictably over the last week or so. I'll confess that I've indulged a bit on these collections, giving the site several opportunities to exhibit weird pricing modifications, but I have not seen it since my last post. Either something has been fixed, or my previous experience was anomalous. In any event, thanks for the consideration.

Lew

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 12:07 PM

Thanks for the update Lew,

We have looked at the dynamic pricing algorithm, and found it working as expected.  I was unable to re-create the experience you described, but if you find it happening again, please do reach out with the specific events or actions that appear to cause the unexpected behavior.

Posts 13347
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 12:17 PM

Are you using the site in USD? If not, the changes could be due to currency fluctuations.

Posts 782
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2018 3:47 PM

Good thought, Mark, but always in USD.

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 8:15 AM

This was an expected change as a result of reducing the prices of thousands of individual titles included in these collections and many others. Depending on whether you already owned the titles that were lowered or not, you may have seen your dynamic prices go slightly up or down.

Posts 782
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 7:56 PM

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS