OT-ish: Talmud Online

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 29 2018 10:40 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2018/09/18/quest-put-talmud-online/?utm_term=.ef82cc745bd0 

https://www.sefaria.org/ 

Actually last year, but solidifying. And interesting tools. If you get bored in the early article, it gets better on the nuts and bolts down further.

It does illustrate what I, at least, now take for granted in Logos ... text accessibility and significant tools.  Needing the Talmud in Aramaic was interesting, though.

Posts 6563
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 2:36 PM

Quite honestly I’m glad I got both Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud in Logos.   Many resources reference the Talmud so it’s kind of nice to be able to jump back-and-forth, highlight, copy and paste or create notes  within the Talmud.

Maybe it won’t take me 7 1/2 years read it 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 89
David Staveley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2018 3:33 PM

DAL:

Quite honestly I’m glad I got both Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud in Logos.   Many resources reference the Talmud so it’s kind of nice to be able to jump back-and-forth, highlight, copy and paste or create notes  within the Talmud.

DAL

There is an old Rabbinic maxim: "You don't read Talmud; You live it!"

And by that, they mean to study it, day and night. For the Rabbis, study of Talmud replaced Temple worship. When you study Talmud, it is a proxy - a "stand-in" - for performing an actual sacrifice. In this way, they compensated for the great loss that was the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.

Dr David Staveley Professor of New Testament. Specializing in the Pauline Epistles, Apocalyptic Judaism, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Posts 6563
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2018 8:36 AM

David Staveley:

DAL:

DAL

There is an old Rabbinic maxim: "You don't read Talmud; You live it!"

And by that, they mean to study it, day and night. For the Rabbis, study of Talmud replaced Temple worship. When you study Talmud, it is a proxy - a "stand-in" - for performing an actual sacrifice. In this way, they compensated for the great loss that was the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.

Thank you, David, for sharing your knowledge!

DAL

Posts 212
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 30 2018 11:49 AM

DAL:

DAL

Everyone may already know this, but here's a link to a thread where you can get the Soncino translation of the Babylonian Talmud to make a PBB.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/88606.aspx?PageIndex=1

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS