Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2018 7:31 AM

I am studying Paal at the moment. What Logos tool can help me find examples of Paal, such as infinitive, present, past, etc., in the Scriptures? Or, even better, does anyone know if certain chapters contain a greater number of specific verbal forms? So for instance, in this case, if I am looking for Paal Infinitives, is there a chapter where I am more likely to find more of these forms than in others? Thanks for your patience with my strange question. 

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 8:02 PM

Gregorio, if I understand your question, the morph search tool in Logos should be of real help to you. You can construct a search for specific morphological arrangement and run it on the entire Old Testament or just a single book or section.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 6:35 AM

Mark, that is great news! Can you or someone point me to a basic tutorial on doing a morph search. For instance, how would I look up examples of paal infinitive? Muchas gracias. 

Mark Smith:

Gregorio, if I understand your question, the morph search tool in Logos should be of real help to you. You can construct a search for specific morphological arrangement and run it on the entire Old Testament or just a single book or section.

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 6:54 AM

Mark, I did a search and found this excellent YouTube to get me started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTi8RM6WiPY

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 10:28 AM

Yes, that video should be a lot of help. There is also a wiki article on morph searching: https://wiki.logos.com/Morphological_Search This focuses on Greek morphology. Hebrew morphology is more complex, but you follow the same steps.

There is a Logos Pro video on morph searching here: https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/morph-search 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 11:46 AM

If you’re wanting to know which books or chapters have more occurrences than others, be sure to click “Graph Results”.

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 12:19 PM

Thanks Mark and Mark, for the great resources and ideas. 

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 12:25 PM

I just watched it, and found it very useful. Right now I am working on my language skills, but when I need to look up words and concepts, this will be so useful. Thanks!

Posts 3217
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 12:31 PM

You might also be interested in setting up a visual filter to highlight specific Hebrew verb forms and tenses. You can find and download Hebrew visual filters from the Faithlife Visual Filters group. The filters are located under Bible Study -> Logos Documents.

On the left is an open Hebrew Morph visual filter document. You can see the effect in the LHB where each Hebrew verb form appears in a particular color, and its tense is shown using specific borders and lines.

I'd recommend keeping the Info window open in its own pane, allowing for easy lookup of words that you click on.

Posts 249
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2018 12:46 PM

Great stuff, פתח

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS