Feature request

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 125
Chad | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 9 2018 12:45 PM

It would be great in Bibles that are morphologically tagged (e.g. ESV) [and hope I'm using the right terminology] that when you right click for info that both Hebrew and Greek (LXX) usage would come up for the words if possible. I believe this may not be possible in all respects as the Hebrew text and LXX differ. But where possible this would be very helpful. 

Posts 8707
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 4:47 PM

Discovering the underlying Greek or Hebrew depends on the existence of a reverse interlinear (RI) for the version you are reading. Not all Bibles have a reverse interlinear created for them. You may notice this by the fact that when using them no parsing of the words appears when you hover over the text, and when you right click no Greek or Hebrew appears in the menu.

That said, Logos only links one base language to each English word. So the right click menu can only show either the Hebrew or Greek OT depending on which was used to create the RI.

Faithlife has linked the LXX to the OT text in the Lexham English-Greek Reverse Interlinear Septuagint and the English-Greek Reverse Interlinear Old Testament New American Bible. (I believe those are the only two they've done.) All the other RI's link the English and Hebrew.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1909
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 6:53 PM

Hi Chad,

There are tools and resources that can allow you to see how the Hebrew Text is translated in the LXX. Here is my layout:

1. I have the bible word study guide linked to the ESV.

2. I have the ESV in multi-view with the Lexham Hebrew Bible, the Septuagint with Logos Morphology and the Lexham English Septuagint. When I click on a work in the ESV, the LHB and the LXX highlight the respective words in Hebrew and Greek. If I select the Greek work it will highlight in the English Septuagint. The work also opens in the Bible Word Study since I have it linked to the ESV. If I select the LXX it opens a Septuagint section showing the Hebrew equivalents t the Greek.

Lastly the Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible has Greek Equivalents for each Hebrew word.

Play with this layout to adapt to your liking, but you can get the information you are requesting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS