What is the earliest known commentary on Revelation?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 11 2018 11:13 AM

Hi

Does anyone know what the earliest known commentary on Revelation is?

Thanks

P AGeeked

Posts 5066
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 12:37 PM

Victorinus of Petovium (d. c. 304). Latin biblical exegete. With multiple works attributed to him, his sole surviving work is the Commentary on the Apocalypse and perhaps some fragments from Commentary on Matthew. Victorinus expressed strong millenarianism in his writing, though his was less materialistic than the millenarianism of Papias or Irenaeus. In his allegorical approach he could be called a spiritual disciple of Origen. Victorinus died during the first year of Diocletian’s persecution, probably in 304.  although others may be out there commenting on it his is the earliest I came across.

-dan

Posts 24468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 12:39 PM

Dan, I absolutely love that I can count on you to know the answer to this type of question. Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5066
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 2:37 PM

The most of the paragraph is lifted from ACCS but copy and past on my iPad There is no easy way to attribute it...

_dan

Posts 1989
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:17 PM

Dan Francis:
Victorinus of Petovium (d. c. 304)

What does the abbreviation "d.c." indicate? I was unable to find it in ACCS or on Google.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 178
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:24 PM

Died circa (about) ?

Posts 1989
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:28 PM

David J. Wilson:

Died circa (about) ?

Thanks, David that makes sense.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 487
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:41 PM

Dan Francis:

The most of the paragraph is lifted from ACCS but copy and past on my iPad There is no easy way to attribute it...

_dan

Victorinus' Commentary on the Apocalypse is part of this anthology: www.logos.com/product/162579/latin-commentaries-on-revelation

Posts 487
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 3:49 PM

Oops, I forgot to add that it's also in Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 7: www.logos.com/product/25668/ante-nicene-fathers-volume-vii Big Smile

Posts 1719
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 4:56 PM

Gordon Jones:

Oops, I forgot to add that it's also in Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 7: www.logos.com/product/25668/ante-nicene-fathers-volume-vii Big Smile

That was helpful!  Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS