Free book of the month not showing under lectionary

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2495
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 11 2018 6:10 PM

In the mobile app, or elsewhere, is there a way to get the free and discounted books of the month to show under today's readings?

Posts 5066
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2018 6:31 PM

It should be realatively easy to set it up but there are major issues with this. FL doesn’t deal all that well with seasonal items. Indeed it’s lectionary options need updating every year to be mapped out for the year. You have to go manually to year B week 44 October 2-8 (Sunday falls in that range).  And rather that 7 readings you are given readings to ruminate over the next week. I know it is more automatic over in Accordance but FL tends to handle these things a bit different. Indeed had it not been for the extreme discount this month I wouldn’t even have this set in FL.

-dan 

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 12:59 AM

Mattillo:
In the mobile app, or elsewhere, is there a way to get the free and discounted books of the month to show under today's readings?

Not directly. The reason for this is that "today" normally refers to a (Gregorian) calendar date, such as Oct 12, 2018, while lectionaries are tied to a liturgical calendar, that s built around the major church feasts. There are several of those, with slight variations in the readings, but their structure is very comparable. To line up those liturgical calendars with calendar dates however is more difficult - the most obvious reason is that the date of Easter changes every year depending on the spring moon, which makes for uneven numbers of Sundays between Christmas and Easter, and between Easter and next Christmas.

What Faithlife has done for all their type:lectionary resources is to index them according to the specific lectionary (e.g. RCL, BCP, Catholic Liturgical Calendars) and to index them additionally with a Year/Month/Day index that runs for several years. Thus Logos knows that the upcoming Sunday, Oct 14, 2018, is RCL's "Proper 23 in the Year B" (identified in purple color below). The respective line up can be found in the respective lectionary resources or in online church calendars.

This month's free book and pluses "Ancient Christian Devotional: A Year of Weekly Readings", Lectionary Cycle A, B, C) are indexed according to the three liturgical calendars I mentioned above, and thus should be of use to liturgically minded Christians from a large variety of traditions. Unfortunately, there was no Year/Month/Day index created that would make them usable on their own as a lectionary reading. Thus for ACD, Logos  knows how to find "Proper 23 in the Year B" but has no index information on what date this would fall.

What you can do as a workaround is to choose your preferred weekly lectionary (RCL would have the same readings as ACD, see yellow arrows) and make it into a link set with ACD (shown in green below). Then you would have today's readings identified and shown, and ACD's reflections alongside.

hope this helps!

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2495
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 3:36 AM

Big Smile

That helps a lot! Thank you both! As an Evangelical I don't deal with lectionaries but now I understand them better. Just wanted to get some use out of those books 

Posts 484
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:14 AM

Good morning, Mattillo,

Just to complicate life, there are many evangelicals in lectionary-using denominations.Smile

Shalom, shalom,

Steve

Posts 2495
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:32 AM

Oops! My apologies then

Posts 4183
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 9:11 AM

Well if you want to get some real use from the books it may pay you both spiritually and inspirationally to check the reading for the coming Sunday and make sure that you are not ducking the 'hard readings'.

Many have said 'I would never have preached on that if it had not been the set reading'.

Oddly a publication I subscribe to (Spill the Beans) has worked its way through the RCL and the Narrative Lectionary and is now providing resources to deal with the gaps.

Posts 484
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 12:55 PM

Mattillo, no apologies necessary!Smile Steve

Posts 885
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 10:23 PM

Mike Binks:

Well if you want to get some real use from the books it may pay you both spiritually and inspirationally to check the reading for the coming Sunday and make sure that you are not ducking the 'hard readings'.

Many have said 'I would never have preached on that if it had not been the set reading'.

I also come from a totally non-liturgical background. When I am suddenly called on to preach, often the first thing I do is look at the Sunday's readings in the RCL. It's amazing how many times I've found it relevant and decided, "I'm preaching on that."

A really great resource related to this is this one: https://www.logos.com/product/5801/the-lectionary-commentary-theological-exegesis-for-sundays-texts --much better than the FBotM. I got it with some base package I purchased once and have found it very useful.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 24468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2018 11:59 PM

I may be misreading this thread but ...

• a lectionary is a specific type of Logos resource that maps the generic table of readings by liturgical date to the secular years' date.
  • the resources in question are not lectionaries but rather books of readings that are associated with liturgical dates
  • Logos does not support daily devotionals based on liturgical dates - the calendar devotionals are all based on the secular calendar

So what is being requested is that Logos add a new function - liturgical date based devotionals, something I strongly support but not my current #1 liturgical calendar implementation complaint.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4183
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 1:26 AM

Sean

Sean:
A really great resource related to this is this one: https://www.logos.com/product/5801/the-lectionary-commentary-theological-exegesis-for-sundays-texts --much better than the FBotM. I got it with some base package I purchased once and have found it very useful.

Thanks for pointing this out - I actually have it in my library and hadn't really looked at it before.

Posts 4183
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 1:32 AM

MJ. Smith:
So what is being requested is that Logos add a new function - liturgical date based devotionals, something I strongly support but not my current #1 liturgical calendar implementation complaint.

I too am amazed by Faithlife's lectionary blindness. It does seem to be quite low hanging fruit that may well open up a fair market if even 'minored on'.

One of my pet moans is the Proclaim and Verse of the Day type media which could so easily be tuned to the relevant lectionary readings and become the 'go to' resource for preachers. Instead of which we get a plethora of 'Church Picnic' and 'Amen' slides that are so limited in appropriateness that they are essentially clutter.

my rant for today.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS