Methods of Labeling/Tagging Individual Chapters & Journal Articles

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 314
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 13 2018 6:39 AM

I was wondering if some people here would be willing to share their methods of tagging individually authored chapters and journal articles.

I am guessing that creating a palette in the highlighting tool is the best way to go about this. In my own imagination I wanted to do this in such a way that I could create multiple tags for a journal article, such as topicauthor, Bible reference, etc. However, I would rather not have to have a separate note document for every individual article.

For example, Bibliotheca Sacra 172:685: Mark Dever, "The Evangelical Church: Richard Sibbes and the Sufficiency of the Gospel". Tags I would want for this article: Dever, Mark; ecclesiology; Sibbes, Richard; gospel.

I realize that journal articles are already tagged to an extent, but where I feel I could make an improvement for myself is in regards to edited books with multiple authors. For example, The Bible in Its Ancient Context: 23 Fresh Insights, edited by John Barry and Rebecca Van Noord has a lot of individual chapters which could be tagged.

Hopefully some of that makes sense, but feel free to ask me to clarify.

Posts 121
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 11:42 AM

I also would be interested in such a strategy for tagging. If anyone has wisdom here it would be appreciated.

Posts 8154
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 7:05 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
I was wondering if some people here would be willing to share their methods of tagging individually authored chapters and journal articles.

Perhaps this is not what you are looking for but my method of tagging journals is to review each journal and article within the journal and apply my tagging system to the journal itself. It doesn't isolate the specific place in the resource but it is easy to find when I search for a specific tag. See below for how I tagged the Bibliotheca Sacra 172:

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 314
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 8:41 AM

Thanks Bruce, I was actually hoping you would respond to this. I remembered you mentioning somewhere your tagging of journals. I guess this might be my best way forward. I could do the same with individual chapters in edited books.

Posts 23453
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:54 AM

Fred Littlefield:

I also would be interested in such a strategy for tagging. If anyone has wisdom here it would be appreciated.

Create a style for journals and add a label with multiple attributes e.g.

You would have attributes more like Author, Content (values as shown in posts above), Description. Highlight each article heading and provide values to the attributes. You can then search journals or similar books with, for example {Label Journal WHERE Author ~ "Douglas Moo" AND Content ~ Kingdom}, where the full value could be "Kingdom of God" or "Kingdom Blessings".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 704
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 1:21 PM

I think that while tags don't locate text within a resource, such as a journal, there is a way to do this.  Favorites links will open a resource to a specific page.  The link can be given an arbitrary name which can either be the name of a desired tag or ithe link can be located within a favorites folder whose name is the desired tag. 

I employ a variant of this strategy when setting up to do research for a class or presentation.  But perhaps one could have a "shadow" set of folders for your tags arranged in a hierarchy where links to specific text could be organized.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS