Searching library for subjects

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 13 2018 10:49 AM

Hi all,

Can someone provide some tips on how to search your library for specific subjects? I'm attempting to create some generic collections (i.e theology, apologetics, church history) but the search bar in the library pane doesn't seem to be working the way I would think.

For instance, if I type: "subjects:apologetics" I get 0 results returned, yet I own the apologetics XL library among many other related resources. 

Posts 704
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 10:55 AM

Hi Josh,

You were close!  Try "subject:apologetics"; i.e., not plural.

Posts 18
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 10:58 AM

Ah! Now don't I feel foolish :)

Well, I guess to maintain the usefulness of this thread, what are the general tips for building subject based collections? Is it sufficient to just search the subject category, or should I use other identifiers to? 

Thanks!

Posts 704
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 11:13 AM

You could try a general search with the key: <Topic Biblical Apologetics> OR Apologetic OR Apologetics.  Check the results for any general apologetics resources which were not found by the library search.

Posts 704
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 11:44 AM

Josh:

Ah! Now don't I feel foolish :)

Well, I guess to maintain the usefulness of this thread, what are the general tips for building subject based collections? Is it sufficient to just search the subject category, or should I use other identifiers to? 

Thanks!

It is going to be hard to get people to add to this thread if you want information on subject based collections.  The title is about searching libraries. Perhaps a new thread is in order?

That being said, there are Wiki pages on collections.  This one was posted in the General forum over the summer:

https://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

Note that an Apologetics collection is one of the examples posted.  Also, note that there is a link to a more general Wiki page on collections.

Regards,

David

Posts 2234
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 5:12 PM

There are also several Faithlife Groups for various types of collections, such as https://faithlife.com/logos-collections/activity They can be a TREASURE TROVE of not only information, but documents and collection templates for your Logos installation.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

Psalm 34:18

Posts 202
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 5:34 PM

David Taylor Jr:

There are also several Faithlife Groups for various types of collections, such as https://faithlife.com/logos-collections/activity They can be a TREASURE TROVE of not only information, but documents and collection templates for your Logos installation.

just to save you a little time, once you click on the link that David has listed, click on 'Bible Study' on the left side of the page.  Then click on 'Logos Documents'. You should then see a list of topics appear.  Keep clicking on 'Show More' at the bottom of the list until you have the complete list.  These all represent collections that you can add to your Logos app.  Click on Actions and then Copy for the ones that you want.

Posts 17244
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2018 8:31 PM

David A Egolf:
You could try a general search with the key: <Topic Biblical Apologetics> OR Apologetic OR Apologetics

My library finds two resources for <Topic Biblical Apologetics> plus one for <Topic Christian Apologetics>

Searching for Apologetic articles and/or chapters found any more resources:

([field heading,largetext] Apologetic)

Josh:
For instance, if I type: "subjects:apologetics" I get 0 results returned

Subject for filtering Logos resources in library can be abbreviated:

subj:apologetic

Since eBooks lack subject metadata, an expanded library filter is:

(subj:apologetic) OR (edition:ebook AND apologetic)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:24 AM

Thanks for all the great resources, had no idea there were so many premade templates floating around :)

Posts 12352
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 8:52 AM

The best way of constructing your own collections is to do a fairly loose search in the library, then sort by subject. There'll be a lot of noise in that list, so scan through manually, looking for the relevant subjects.

Then, in the collections tool, enter those subjects. For example, searching your library for church history will reveal a large number of subjects that contain the phrase "church history". So your collection rule can at least begin with subject:"church history". But you'll also see other subjects that are also relevant that don't include the phrase, such as Reformation, or worship--history, or so on. Then you can add these subjects to your rule:

subject:("church history", reformation, "worship--history")

It should only take five minutes or so to build a fairly comprehensive rule.

Or you may, like me, decide that restricting to "church history" is too narrow. My own church history rule is this:

subject:history -subject:(classics, assyria, judaism, "middle east") type:(monograph,encyclopedia)

It covers, for example, a biography of John Newton and William Wilberforce, which wouldn't be covered under "church history" alone. Whether you want that, of course, is down to you!

Posts 410
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 2:05 PM

Robert Neely:
click on 'Bible Study' on the left side of the page.  Then click on 'Logos Documents'. You should then see a list of topics appear. 

This does not follow for me.  When I click "Bible Study", it opens to two options- "Reading Plans" or "Community Notes"... I dont see "Logos Documents" anywhere...

Posts 19846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 2:09 PM

Michael S.:

Robert Neely:
click on 'Bible Study' on the left side of the page.  Then click on 'Logos Documents'. You should then see a list of topics appear. 

This does not follow for me.  When I click "Bible Study", it opens to two options- "Reading Plans" or "Community Notes"... I dont see "Logos Documents" anywhere...

You need to ensure yoy are Following the group to see ”Logos Documents”

Posts 410
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 2:22 PM

Graham Criddle:
Following the group to see ”Logos Documents”

Ah... thanks Graham.

Posts 410
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 2:27 PM

Ok, so this is strange to me.  I followed the group, then clicked the documents and it generated this list of different documents from different users.  I saw one I thought was interesting, so I clicked on it.  It took me to another tab and just said I do not have this document.  So I clicked the add this document, or whatever it said, and then it simply changed to say, "I own this document"... it never shows me what the document is!  What is this?

Posts 2234
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2018 2:31 PM

Michael S.:

Ok, so this is strange to me.  I followed the group, then clicked the documents and it generated this list of different documents from different users.  I saw one I thought was interesting, so I clicked on it.  It took me to another tab and just said I do not have this document.  So I clicked the add this document, or whatever it said, and then it simply changed to say, "I own this document"... it never shows me what the document is!  What is this?

You should now have access to the document inside of Logos.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

Psalm 34:18

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS