Possible error in ESV Hebrew Dataset

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 14 2018 9:50 PM

Don't know which discussion group this should be in, so I am posting this under general.

The ESV has translated the word (חֶ֫סֶד) quite consistently in the OT as "steadfast love", only in few occurrences it was translated as "kindness", "loyal"...

However, when you do a word study in Logos, it is showing as the following:

love - 187 of 245

kind - 29 of 245

steadfast love 11 of 245

But if you check all the entries in the 187 for love, the previous word is always 'steadfast', shouldn't this be part of the 'steadfast love' for a total count of 198?

I have export the search from Logos and added a field called 'Last word in Previous Context' to filter out the last word in the previous context.

8156.hesda - steadfast love_kidness.xlsx

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 12:17 PM

Steven Yu:
But if you check all the entries in the 187 for love, the previous word is always 'steadfast', shouldn't this be part of the 'steadfast love' for a total count of 198?

It depends how the manuscript words are aligned with the Hebrew in the Interlinear pane:-

steadfast ---> love    [Hebrew aligned with "love"]  =  love

steadfast <----  love  [Hebrew aligned with "steadfast"] = steadfast love

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2018 6:24 PM

But isn't the direction for identify the supporting word's relationship with the actual word that's been translated?

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2018 4:55 AM

I'd say that a definite convention is being followed. In addition, the phrase steadfast love could have been associated with the Hebrew i.e. in the same cell.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS