Zotero and Logos

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 505
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:10 PM

Can someone point me towards resources in how to learn to use Zotero alongside Logos ? And how to use Zotero in general?

Thanks!

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:51 PM

You can export clippings and bibliographies in Logos to RIS format. This file can then be imported into Zotero.  As far as how to use Zotero there are many tutorials online. I personally use Mendeley so I can't speak to Zotero specifically.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 2:51 AM

Jon Bradley:

Can someone point me towards resources in how to learn to use Zotero alongside Logos ? And how to use Zotero in general?

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

As David has said, there are lots of general training resources on Zotero available.

Beyond that, I find Zotero useful alongside Logos. Zotero has basic capability for notes, but nothing as advanced as Logos Notes, so I make whatever notes I can in Logos, but for resources not in Logos I can make notes in Zotero.

I find that Zotero is useful as a listing of all the resources I either have or need to refer to (I use tags to note which are in Logos and which I have as hard copy on my shelf, as well as some which are available in libraries or are in Kindle or other ebook formats. That allows me to find a book quickly when I can't find it in Logos, where most of my books are)

Zotero's main feature, at least for many, is how easily resources can be cited in Word documents. I use it for all citations, including those which I have in Logos format.

I also use the most recent version of OneNote for developing workflow and making notes on writing projects. I find that the combination of Logos Notes for Logos resources, Zotero for citation and notes for non-Logos resources, and OneNote for workflow works well for me for my (very few) writing projects (other than sermons and Bible studies).

I also use Zotero for storing webpages, but that is more of a repository of helpful information on topics or illustrations, which I can use later for pastoral purposes or sermon preparation. That use of Zotero has virtually no overlap with using it for resource citation (and occasional non-Logos notes).

I commented previously on Zotero in another thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169685/980584.aspx#980584 

Posts 46
Doug Bullock | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:05 AM

John- would it be asking too much if i could call you and talk for a few minutes on Zotero and logos.  I am starting DMin research and this is all new

Doug Bullock 

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:51 AM

Hi Doug,

No problem at all. It’d be a pleasure. I'll send you a private message (if I can figure out how to do that) with details. 

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 9:00 AM

Hi Doug, I can't see any functional contact info on your bio in Faithlife. Could you please contact me using any of the methods here: https://cgcf.ie/index.php/en/contactus2/contact-us

Thanks

Posts 8129
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:22 PM

Zotero website says it’s a free software.  Is this true or is there a premium you have to pay? I don’t see much information in the website, maybe I’m looking wrong.

DAL

Posts 505
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:24 PM

It’s free. Only for those who store massive amounts of bibliographical information is there a charge (for space). 

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 2:46 PM

You don't even have to pay if you use large amounts of storage space. You can store that locally for free without restriction. The cost is only if you want to use Zotero's cloud backup and sync. Although that is convenient, I personally use another cloud backup and sync provider and have the Zotero folder stored on the cloud much cheaper as part of a large storage subscription. 

Posts 8129
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 3:18 PM

John Duffy:

You don't even have to pay if you use large amounts of storage space. You can store that locally for free without restriction. The cost is only if you want to use Zotero's cloud backup and sync. Although that is convenient, I personally use another cloud backup and sync provider and have the Zotero folder stored on the cloud much cheaper as part of a large storage subscription. 

Thanks! I’ll look into it.  It looks very interesting 🧐 I’ve seen y’all mention it in the past but never really looked into it.

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:48 AM

DAL:
Thanks! I’ll look into it.  It looks very interesting 🧐 I’ve seen y’all mention it in the past but never really looked into it.

Andy Naselli has shared helpful resources on using Zotero:

https://andynaselli.com/personal-theological-library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUI_b4RWjk&ab_channel=AndyNaselli 

His video shows using it within Firefox. Personally I use the standalone Zotero installation and use Chrome as a browser. 

Posts 1
john chao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 8:00 PM

Hi, dear David.

I would like to know to export clippings in Logos to RIS format and imported them into Zotero. I successfully made clippings out of the front cover page (including the title, author, and publisher information). How to proceed, can you tell me? Thanks. 

John

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 11:41 PM

john chao:

Hi, dear David.

I would like to know to export clippings in Logos to RIS format and imported them into Zotero. I successfully made clippings out of the front cover page (including the title, author, and publisher information). How to proceed, can you tell me? Thanks. 

John

For a clippings document in the print/export window RIS is one of the options. https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016476711-Printing-and-Exporting 

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 505
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2021 7:40 PM

John Duffy:

DAL:

Andy Naselli has shared helpful resources on using Zotero:

https://andynaselli.com/personal-theological-library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUI_b4RWjk&ab_channel=AndyNaselli 

His video shows using it within Firefox. Personally I use the standalone Zotero installation and use Chrome as a browser. 

Hey John, 

Thank you for sharing this. I am quickly using Zotero even more now! 

-Jonathan

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2021 1:08 AM

Jonathan Bradley:

Hey John, 

Thank you for sharing this. I am quickly using Zotero even more now! 

-Jonathan

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS