Zotero and Logos

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 516
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:10 PM

Can someone point me towards resources in how to learn to use Zotero alongside Logos ? And how to use Zotero in general?

Thanks!

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 8:51 PM

You can export clippings and bibliographies in Logos to RIS format. This file can then be imported into Zotero.  As far as how to use Zotero there are many tutorials online. I personally use Mendeley so I can't speak to Zotero specifically.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 2:51 AM

Jon Bradley:

Can someone point me towards resources in how to learn to use Zotero alongside Logos ? And how to use Zotero in general?

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

As David has said, there are lots of general training resources on Zotero available.

Beyond that, I find Zotero useful alongside Logos. Zotero has basic capability for notes, but nothing as advanced as Logos Notes, so I make whatever notes I can in Logos, but for resources not in Logos I can make notes in Zotero.

I find that Zotero is useful as a listing of all the resources I either have or need to refer to (I use tags to note which are in Logos and which I have as hard copy on my shelf, as well as some which are available in libraries or are in Kindle or other ebook formats. That allows me to find a book quickly when I can't find it in Logos, where most of my books are)

Zotero's main feature, at least for many, is how easily resources can be cited in Word documents. I use it for all citations, including those which I have in Logos format.

I also use the most recent version of OneNote for developing workflow and making notes on writing projects. I find that the combination of Logos Notes for Logos resources, Zotero for citation and notes for non-Logos resources, and OneNote for workflow works well for me for my (very few) writing projects (other than sermons and Bible studies).

I also use Zotero for storing webpages, but that is more of a repository of helpful information on topics or illustrations, which I can use later for pastoral purposes or sermon preparation. That use of Zotero has virtually no overlap with using it for resource citation (and occasional non-Logos notes).

I commented previously on Zotero in another thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/169685/980584.aspx#980584 

Posts 46
Doug Bullock | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:05 AM

John- would it be asking too much if i could call you and talk for a few minutes on Zotero and logos.  I am starting DMin research and this is all new

Doug Bullock 

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:51 AM

Hi Doug,

No problem at all. It’d be a pleasure. I'll send you a private message (if I can figure out how to do that) with details. 

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 9:00 AM

Hi Doug, I can't see any functional contact info on your bio in Faithlife. Could you please contact me using any of the methods here: https://cgcf.ie/index.php/en/contactus2/contact-us

Thanks

Posts 8321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:22 PM

Zotero website says it’s a free software.  Is this true or is there a premium you have to pay? I don’t see much information in the website, maybe I’m looking wrong.

DAL

Posts 516
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:24 PM

It’s free. Only for those who store massive amounts of bibliographical information is there a charge (for space). 

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 2:46 PM

You don't even have to pay if you use large amounts of storage space. You can store that locally for free without restriction. The cost is only if you want to use Zotero's cloud backup and sync. Although that is convenient, I personally use another cloud backup and sync provider and have the Zotero folder stored on the cloud much cheaper as part of a large storage subscription. 

Posts 8321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 3:18 PM

John Duffy:

You don't even have to pay if you use large amounts of storage space. You can store that locally for free without restriction. The cost is only if you want to use Zotero's cloud backup and sync. Although that is convenient, I personally use another cloud backup and sync provider and have the Zotero folder stored on the cloud much cheaper as part of a large storage subscription. 

Thanks! I’ll look into it.  It looks very interesting 🧐 I’ve seen y’all mention it in the past but never really looked into it.

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:48 AM

DAL:
Thanks! I’ll look into it.  It looks very interesting 🧐 I’ve seen y’all mention it in the past but never really looked into it.

Andy Naselli has shared helpful resources on using Zotero:

https://andynaselli.com/personal-theological-library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUI_b4RWjk&ab_channel=AndyNaselli 

His video shows using it within Firefox. Personally I use the standalone Zotero installation and use Chrome as a browser. 

Posts 1
john chao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 8:00 PM

Hi, dear David.

I would like to know to export clippings in Logos to RIS format and imported them into Zotero. I successfully made clippings out of the front cover page (including the title, author, and publisher information). How to proceed, can you tell me? Thanks. 

John

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 11:41 PM

john chao:

Hi, dear David.

I would like to know to export clippings in Logos to RIS format and imported them into Zotero. I successfully made clippings out of the front cover page (including the title, author, and publisher information). How to proceed, can you tell me? Thanks. 

John

For a clippings document in the print/export window RIS is one of the options. https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016476711-Printing-and-Exporting 

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 516
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2021 7:40 PM

John Duffy:

DAL:

Andy Naselli has shared helpful resources on using Zotero:

https://andynaselli.com/personal-theological-library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUI_b4RWjk&ab_channel=AndyNaselli 

His video shows using it within Firefox. Personally I use the standalone Zotero installation and use Chrome as a browser. 

Hey John, 

Thank you for sharing this. I am quickly using Zotero even more now! 

-Jonathan

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2021 1:08 AM

Jonathan Bradley:

Hey John, 

Thank you for sharing this. I am quickly using Zotero even more now! 

-Jonathan

Yes

Posts 15
Vincent van Altena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2021 10:14 AM

Hi all, 

I have created a LogosZotero group in which I have started to complete the bibliographical information which comes incompetely from an export out of Logos. I try to comply to the SBLHS2 regulations, so you will get nicely formatted references in Word when you use the SBLHS2 citation style. And I have also added L4 links, i.e. double-clicking a reference in zotero will open the resource in Logos.

So far, I have included full bibliographic references for a number of commentaries and several dictionaries (including AYBD).

You can find the group here: https://www.zotero.org/groups/4308977/logosbiblesoftware

It would be nice, if others can start complementing their information to this group, but before doing this, we should agree on a number of guidelines (e.g. to keep everything SBHLHS2 compliant).

Please let me know your thoughts!

~Vincent

regards, Vincent

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2021 1:22 PM

Vincent van Altena:

Hi all, 

I have created a LogosZotero group in which I have started to complete the bibliographical information which comes incompetely from an export out of Logos. I try to comply to the SBLHS2 regulations, so you will get nicely formatted references in Word when you use the SBLHS2 citation style. And I have also added L4 links, i.e. double-clicking a reference in zotero will open the resource in Logos.

So far, I have included full bibliographic references for a number of commentaries and several dictionaries (including AYBD).

You can find the group here: https://www.zotero.org/groups/4308977/logosbiblesoftware

It would be nice, if others can start complementing their information to this group, but before doing this, we should agree on a number of guidelines (e.g. to keep everything SBHLHS2 compliant).

Please let me know your thoughts!

~Vincent

Hi Vincent, 

I have tags in my Zotero to indicate where the books are (eBook, Logos, Shelf, ePub, Kindle, Google, etc.), as well as other tags such as a small range of topics, so will need to keep my own entries. I could forward you what I have, 7296 items exported from Logos, with my tags removed.  However, I can't guarantee that they will all fully compliant, since the bibliographic info in Logos might not have exported in as good a way as we would like. Although I have a fair number of them relating to Pauline studies in good order. If you want, I can forward that on to you somehow (not sure how). 

John Duffy

Posts 15
Vincent van Altena | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2021 5:48 AM

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in response. My idea for the Logos-Zotero group is that it should contain as much as possible correct, i.e. verified information for the resources. I agree Logos does not do a very good job in exporting the data, it is rather incomplete esp. when you need to comply with SBLHS2. 

We could tag the entries in the group with [unverified], [verified], [SBLHS2-compliant], so and that members of the group can use the bibliographic data as provided, or when they need to tailor the info for their own needs (eg. tagging or notes), by copying the entry to their personal bibliography.

But I am of course open to your thoughts.

For file exchange, I will send a PM to the e-mail address on your profile.

regards, Vincent

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2021 6:39 AM

Vincent van Altena:

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in response. My idea for the Logos-Zotero group is that it should contain as much as possible correct, i.e. verified information for the resources. I agree Logos does not do a very good job in exporting the data, it is rather incomplete esp. when you need to comply with SBLHS2. 

We could tag the entries in the group with [unverified], [verified], [SBLHS2-compliant], so and that members of the group can use the bibliographic data as provided, or when they need to tailor the info for their own needs (eg. tagging or notes), by copying the entry to their personal bibliography.

But I am of course open to your thoughts.

For file exchange, I will send a PM to the e-mail address on your profile.

Hi Vincent,

I understand. I am very supportive of the idea to have a shared set of SBLHS2-compliant data, to avoid the need for duplication of effort. There are a number of ways to achieve this is. One is to only send SBLHS2-compliant data, another is to send data as-is and achieve compliance by editing it at a later stage. 

Regardless of which way you choose, I would be interested in how you define [unverified], [verified], and [SBLHS2-compliant]. Especially what [SBLHS2-compliant] means for Zotero entries. For example, which fields are not required (e.g. ISBN, no. of pages for a complete book), and what format is required for certain fields (e.g. in 'Place' is the city alone enough or does the county and/or country need to be specified - I'm showing my ignoracne of SBLHS2 here). 

Also, I'm wondering how updates would be managed, particularly with respect to minor edits to improve those which were previously flagged as [SBLHS2-compliant]. 

Having looked into exporting some of my library (the items in Logos), I see that Zotero only allows for export of a complete library, not a selection of items or a collection. Also, I'm not sure how I delete my comments in the 'Extra' field, which sometimes contain research summary notes which I would like to keep confidential. 

This leads me on to wondering how you might keep a central database or information repository. If it were an online spreadsheet, it could be edited by multiple people, or downloaded as and when desired. But Zotero can't import csv files. 

I presume that notes or files to an item would be excluded (e.g. I sometimes attach a webpage which has a book review as a note to a book, or a complete pdf of the book if I happen to have it in pdf format). 

Also, if I wanted to add just a subset of the entries, to supplement my own library, how could I just import those items? I wouldn't be keen on having to merge duplicates for many items, especially in case the merge might result in changing some good entries that I rely on to be correct.

Overall, there seem to be two issues which need addressed. First, which I think you have focused on, is how to ensure that the data is SBLHS2-compliant. Second is how to send, store, and disseminate that data. With the complexities involved for the latter, I'm wondering if simply focusing on the former might be more feasible, at least in the short term. If an online spreadsheet were available with [SBLHS2-compliant] entries for reference purposes, I think that that might provide the majority of the benefit with a minimum of work. 

Lots to think about. 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS