Posts 6309
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 10:04 AM

Denise:

Wash your mouth out, Mr DAL! 

Click on gif image 😂

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 1:17 PM

You guys sound like me when I had to say goodbye to my favorite program Houdini, which helped bring down Nixon. Now it doesn't even appear in Wikipedia. . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
LSS Office | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 4:15 PM

Mark Smith:

The web app is pretty good. I don't know if you've tried it, but you might, and see how much functionality you can retain.

We live and work in Papua New Guinea as missionaries.  Internet here is very expensive (we pay per MB), so unfortunately using Logos in a web browser isn't an option.

Sigh...

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 4:19 PM

LSS Office:

Mark Smith:

The web app is pretty good. I don't know if you've tried it, but you might, and see how much functionality you can retain.

We live and work in Papua New Guinea as missionaries.  Internet here is very expensive (we pay per MB), so unfortunately using Logos in a web browser isn't an option.

Sigh...

Offline mode seems to be the only option. You won't be able to download new content which isn't good, but you'll have access to what you already own.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4621
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2018 12:16 AM

LSS Office:

Mark Smith:

Sigh...

But you can be reassured that your software once off line will continue to work pretty much as it always did minus a few esoteric facilities that I would never miss in my standard service preparing role.

If you are ever able to get the lap-tops serviced or upgraded then you will always be entitled to bring the software up to date when you can find an inexpensive wi-fi location.

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:30 AM

In the FAQs it states:

Does this affect the Logos mobile apps?

No, Logos mobile apps are not impacted by this update. However, if you are still using Logos 4, 5, or 6 after we make the security update, your desktop software will no longer sync with your mobile apps.

I have an old 7" tablet which I use for traveling. Because it's an older tablet I haven't been able to update the app for a couple of years. However, it has been able to receive new books and download the books for offline reading. Despite the FAQ answer, since the security update the app can no longer receive books, download books or navigate books.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 12:06 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Because it's an older tablet I haven't been able to update the app for a couple of years. However, it has been able to receive new books and download the books for offline reading. Despite the FAQ answer, since the security update the app can no longer receive books, download books or navigate books.

The FAQ is accurate. Your issue is unrelated. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 12:14 PM

JT (alabama24):

Paul Caneparo:
Because it's an older tablet I haven't been able to update the app for a couple of years. However, it has been able to receive new books and download the books for offline reading. Despite the FAQ answer, since the security update the app can no longer receive books, download books or navigate books.

The FAQ is accurate. Your issue is unrelated. 

Thanks. Seems odd that books no longer download.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:38 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Thanks. Seems odd that books no longer download.

You should post your concerns in the mobile forum, but the mobile apps require updates (unrelated to desktop issues) to download resources. This is why, for example, newly released resources are frequently unavailable on mobile at release. At some point old versions become bricked. 

Posts 7982
LogosEmployee

Paul Caneparo:
I have an old 7" tablet which I use for traveling. Because it's an older tablet I haven't been able to update the app for a couple of years. However, it has been able to receive new books and download the books for offline reading. Despite the FAQ answer, since the security update the app can no longer receive books, download books or navigate books.

Despite the FAQ's apparent blanket statement about all mobile apps, it's highly likely that you actually are affected by this security change.

Some old/unsupported mobile apps will continue to work fine; other old/unsupported app versions (depending on exact app version, OS, OS version combination) will no longer connect to Logos servers. It's very likely that your app+tablet is in the latter group.

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 10:52 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Paul Caneparo:

Despite the FAQ's apparent blanket statement about all mobile apps, it's highly likely that you actually are affected by this security change.

Some old/unsupported mobile apps will continue to work fine; other old/unsupported app versions (depending on exact app version, OS, OS version combination) will no longer connect to Logos servers. It's very likely that your app+tablet is in the latter group.

Thanks Bradley. I checked with another old tablet that I own that has an older Android operating system that is too old to accept current Faithlife Apps. It was fine until recently with an older App, but has also now stopped working. It's a shame as I prefer Android, but at least with Apple I'm not aware that there ever comes a time where you can't update to the latest iOS and latest App updates. At least I now know the score for certain.  Looks like I'm down to one tablet now for Faithlife.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 11:50 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
it's highly likely that you actually are affected by this security change.

Thanks for the clarification Bradley. 

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:15 PM

Paul Caneparo:

Thanks Bradley. I checked with another old tablet that I own that has an older Android operating system that is too old to accept current Faithlife Apps. It was fine until recently with an older App, but has also now stopped working. It's a shame as I prefer Android, but at least with Apple I'm not aware that there ever comes a time where you can't update to the latest iOS and latest App updates. At least I now know the score for certain.  Looks like I'm down to one tablet now for Faithlife.

Just to clarify, at least on ios, I'm on an old Mini-1, 3 major updates back. I'd say about a third of my apps can't be updated, but they run fine. Included are all the FL series.

I got a recent Hermeneia volume last week. Downloaded to the old mini. Works fine. Yesterday's etymology, no. It downloads, but doesn't know how to install. So, it's maybe yes, maybe no (as Bradley, I think, indicates). I also have a Mini-4 which does install newest resources.

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 1:06 PM

Denise:

Paul Caneparo:

Just to clarify, at least on ios, I'm on an old Mini-1, 3 major updates back. I'd say about a third of my apps can't be updated, but they run fine. Included are all the FL series.

I got a recent Hermeneia volume last week. Downloaded to the old mini. Works fine. Yesterday's etymology, no. It downloads, but doesn't know how to install. So, it's maybe yes, maybe no (as Bradley, I think, indicates). I also have a Mini-4 which does install newest resources.

Thanks Denise. That's good to know that even Apple products have a shelf life too in terms of operating system updates. It will make it easier to stick to Android when my one remaining, functioning tablet stops working in the future with Faithlife apps.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 1:12 PM

Paul Caneparo:
That's good to know that even Apple products have a shelf life too in terms of operating system updates.

...yes, but much longer than android. 

Paul Caneparo:
It will make it easier to stick to Android when my one remaining, functioning tablet stops working in the future with Faithlife apps.

You should get the one you want and will use! Yes

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 1:40 PM

JT (alabama24):

Paul Caneparo:
That's good to know that even Apple products have a shelf life too in terms of operating system updates.

...yes, but much longer than android. 

Paul Caneparo:
It will make it easier to stick to Android when my one remaining, functioning tablet stops working in the future with Faithlife apps.

You should get the one you want and will use! Yes

Hopefully my current tablet will last a while longer! However, I don't like Apple prices.

Posts 895
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 2:01 PM

Do Amazon Fire operating systems get updated and result in the tablets become redundant with apps no longer able to update? I ask because I would still quite like an 8" tablet just for traveling - just to gain access to Logos app, web browsing and email. The Amazon Fire HD would appear to be the cheapest 8" tablet available.

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 4:05 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Do Amazon Fire operating systems get updated and result in the tablets become redundant with apps no longer able to update?

I think you mean "do they fail to get updated." 

Fire tablets run a modified version of Android. I own one, which I purchased new for $35, and my son proceeded to break the screen within days of getting it. Tongue Tied Broken screen aside, the device is sluggish and difficult to use compared to my iPads. It obviously wasn't the "top of the line" Fire, but I am not likely to spend that kind of money to find out if it worked better. 

My hunch: If you had to choose between two inexpensive android devices, all other things being equal, it would be better to go with something other than a Fire. I say this because you are more likely to receive major updates to the non fire device. Of course, android devices are known for not being very "future friendly." 

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:01 PM

Hmmm my Fire HD 8 took over from a 2011 model and has preformed quite satisfactorily . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27545
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 5:18 PM

MJ. Smith:
Hmmm my Fire HD 8 took over from a 2011 model and has preformed quite satisfactorily . . .

MJ being a bit snarky? Smile

As I said, I didn't have a "top of the line" fire. I just looked it up, FWIW. I have a "Fire 7 (7th Generation)." It takes forever for things to load. Again, it was $35 on black friday last year. I bought it to be a camping device. It works fine for that. 

Do you have any thoughts on Android proper vs. the Kindle Fire flavor? Again, not really being an Android user, I am speaking as an outsider. It would seem to me that it would be better to have Android proper for update purposes. 

(I know that Amazon updates their OS, but it is my understanding that the updates to new versions of android aren't as fast or frequent.) 

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS