Suggestion: Can we have the ability to link to custom Guides from within Workflows?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21704
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:33 AM

One of the things I would like to be able to do in a workflow is to consult different types of commentaries at different stages in the process.

For example, I would like to be able to consult Textual Commentaries at one stage, Bible Background commentaries at another and so on.

The easiest way I can see of doing this is by me creating custom guides with just those sections and then invoking them within the workflow.

Is this something that could be done?

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:39 AM

Graham Criddle:

One of the things I would like to be able to do in a workflow is to consult different types of commentaries at different stages in the process.

For example, I would like to be able to consult Textual Commentaries at one stage, Bible Background commentaries at another and so on.

This is really important to me, too, although I'd prefer the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow (as we already can with guides). That's because I have other steps between checking different types of commentaries.

Posts 21704
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:50 AM

Mark Barnes:
although I'd prefer the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow (as we already can with guides)

That would be even betterSmile

Posts 26108
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:57 AM

Mark Barnes:
This is really important to me, too, although I'd prefer the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow

Strongly agree.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 979
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:39 AM

MJ. Smith:

Mark Barnes:
This is really important to me, too, although I'd prefer the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow

Strongly agree.

Yes! This would make Workflows even more useful.

Posts 734
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:36 AM

Yes Yes

HP Pavilion Laptop PC; Windows 10 Home (64bit); i7-8565U @ 1.80GHz, 1.99GHZ ; 16GB of memory
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SM-T580) tablet; Android v8.1; Wi-Fi only; 16GB of storage; 32GB SD card.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:17 AM

Mark Barnes:
the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow
Mark Barnes:

Yes.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 5:24 AM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Criddle:

This is really important to me, too, although I'd prefer the ability to be able to specify the collection WITHIN the workflow (as we already can with guides). That's because I have other steps between checking different types of commentaries.

Yes, this would very useful!

Posts 1938
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 6:03 AM

Mark Barnes:

+1 ... mission critical!

Posts 269
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:24 AM

Mark Barnes:

Absolutely!

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:53 AM

We are currently tracking a feature request to supply collection settings to the Commentaries section for Workflows.

Thanks for pointing out that this would be useful. It will help us prioritize the feature among others.

Posts 21704
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:54 AM

Thanks Ryan

Thats great news, Graham

Posts 979
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 12:09 PM

Ryan Gano (Faithlife):

We are currently tracking a feature request to supply collection settings to the Commentaries section for Workflows.

Thanks for pointing out that this would be useful. It will help us prioritize the feature among others.

Posts 491
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:28 PM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Criddle:

Yes

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2018 6:23 PM

Ryan Gano (Faithlife):

Yes Consider my voice added to this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2018 6:24 PM

I agree as well. My workflow is built around custom guides. 

Posts 1204
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 6:00 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Ryan Gano (Faithlife):

Yes! That would be great!

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 6:07 AM

Ryan Gano (Faithlife):

Why not just allow for all guide sections to be available within a workflow similar to a custom guide? That allows for collections that can be set as well as other options. Many have been using custom guides to direct their workflow already and this would enable them to include those sections in a workflow. 

Just a thought.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:15 AM

John Fidel:

Why not just allow for all guide sections to be available within a workflow similar to a custom guide? 

This was the first PROBLEM that I identified with the new Dashboard.  Having supervised teams of coders for lots of years, it "seems" childishly simply to reuse the existing code for the Quickstart Layouts and let the user decide which Layouts to place on their Dashboard.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 26108
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 12:47 PM

Brother Mark:

John Fidel:

Why not just allow for all guide sections to be available within a workflow similar to a custom guide? 

This was the first PROBLEM that I identified with the new Dashboard.  Having supervised teams of coders for lots of years, it "seems" childishly simply to reuse the existing code for the Quickstart Layouts and let the user decide which Layouts to place on their Dashboard.

Brother Mark ... as another who spent years coding/supervising coders, etc. ... Yes, there is a great deal of reuse but with small amounts of customization ... but they ran out of time. The number of options for the workflow went up significantly between my last tests in beta and what was put in production (note: MY last tests not all tests). The problem is that the "childishly simple" things are the ones often left to the last minute because you know you can get them done quickly but other things keep pushing back when the "last minute" starts :-)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS