5 Problems with Logos 8 Notes

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 638
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:20 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
You'll see that at number 5 in the list of upcoming features that David linked to and posted above.

Thanks. I'll look for it. But that appears to mean that I can't use notes in my normal way until then and any note I copy/paste until then will have to be manually changed. No thanks.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 638
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:25 PM

David Taylor Jr:
you can switch back to the Old Notes system for the time being

Thanks. I checked out your link and ran into this warning:

We strongly recommend that you switch back to the new notes system before creating any notes. Creating notes in the old notes system may cause sync and data errors when switching back to the new Notes tool.

So basically Notes is dead for me. There are too many inconsistent and poorly thought out behaviors that don't assist the way I take and use notes.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 638
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:29 PM

Don Walker:
3. Bring back "Split View"

We sort of have split view don't we?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2995
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:55 PM

Jim:

David Taylor Jr:
you can switch back to the Old Notes system for the time being

Thanks. I checked out your link and ran into this warning:

We strongly recommend that you switch back to the new notes system before creating any notes. Creating notes in the old notes system may cause sync and data errors when switching back to the new Notes tool.

So basically Notes is dead for me. There are too many inconsistent and poorly thought out behaviors that don't assist the way I take and use notes.

This is a fair point on the warning. It was explained during the beta that this has to do with once a notebook is changed in the new Notes Tool it quits syncing that from the Old Notes System.  So, unless this has changed, you would need to have a dedicated notebook that you ONLY use in the Old System.  I would wait before I tried that until FL verified that is still the case.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 18
Thomas Sterbens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:31 AM

David Taylor Jr:

I understand the frustration and it is a valid point.  You can do one of two things, you can switch back to the Old Notes system for the time being, or you can wait for them to finish adding all of the old features that are slated to go into the new tool.  Resource links are one of those features that is on its way.  https://www.logos.com/faq/notes 

David,

I have used Logos notes extensively for a couple decades.  I cannot stress strongly enough the level of frustration with the "upgrade".
Ugh...

Posts 21848
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:50 AM

Thomas Sterbens:
How does one "switch back to Logos 7 notes"??

Enter "set prefer notes tool to no" in the command box

Posts 18
Thomas Sterbens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:57 AM

Thank you, Graham.

Posts 2995
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:57 AM

Thomas Sterbens:
I have used Logos notes extensively for a couple decades.  I cannot stress strongly enough the level of frustration with the "upgrade".
Ugh...

I understand, but not everyone (who also use notes extensively) have the same opinion.  Thankfully, you can use the old system for the time being until they get the other features added in.  Everyone wins in that situation in my opinion.

How to upload logs

Posts 18
Steve. Kilgore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 6:01 AM

Totally agree. Having used Logos since the days when it was on a handful of diskettes, this upgrade has been by far the most frustrating. They clearly released a Beta version. And the new note system is painful to use.

I've told all my colleagues to not upgrade since the program is not ready for prime time yet.

Posts 2995
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 9:21 AM

Steve. Kilgore:

Totally agree. Having used Logos since the days when it was on a handful of diskettes, this upgrade has been by far the most frustrating. They clearly released a Beta version. And the new note system is painful to use.

I've told all my colleagues to not upgrade since the program is not ready for prime time yet.

I disagree that it isn't ready for prime time. I've been using the New Notes Tool for about a year and love it.

How to upload logs

Posts 1810
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2018 11:42 PM

Steve. Kilgore:
the new note system is painful to use

I'd love to hear more about what you're finding painful to use. It may help us prioritize the work we're planning to do as we continue to improve the new Notes tool.

Posts 18
Thomas Sterbens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 10:11 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Thomas Sterbens:
Ugh...

I understand, but not everyone (who also use notes extensively) have the same opinion.  Thankfully, you can use the old system for the time being until they get the other features added in.  Everyone wins in that situation in my opinion.

Agreed! Smile
The previous versions seemed more intuitive (yes, I realize the subjective nature of that statement Smile ).  

Alas, the upside is I am certain all my recent struggles with the upgrade of the notes module on my Bible software will someday gain me inclusion in "Foxe's Book of Martyrs".  I will strive on...  

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 11:19 AM

Thomas Sterbens:
Alas, the upside is I am certain all my recent struggles with the upgrade of the notes module on my Bible software will someday gain me inclusion in "Foxe's Book of Martyrs".  I will strive on...

🤣😂 Seriously, thanks for the call to perspective adjustment!!

Posts 3
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 5:27 AM

Hi Phil. 

I touched on this earlier in this thread. I would really like to have a way of "pinning" a note or notebook so that it will not change to another one. Maybe have the notebook have a setting like a bible window's "send hyperlinks here". 

Also, a heading on the tab would be nice so that I know which note file is which. Notice that all my open notes just say "notes" on the tab. Kind of confusing.

Thanks!!!

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 9:50 PM

Daniel R. Smith:
I would really like to have a way of "pinning" a note or notebook so that it will not change to another one.

Daniel, could you elaborate? I'm not sure I'm following your thought... Did you know that if you filter a NoteTool instance to a particular Notebook using the notebooks tab, that instance will "not change to another" notebook? Also, any notes you make from this instance (or from the context menu or highlighting hotkey, provided you only have one instance filtered in this way) will automatically get assigned to that Notebook.

Posts 3
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 12:33 PM

Reuben, it is that key requirement, "provided you only have one instance filtered in this way)" that I would like to get around. What happens if I have multiple note files or notebooks open at the same time? Something that I almost always do. But I only want my notes to post to a particular file? I would like the ability to send notes to that one that is so designated by a sort of "send hyperlinks here" function.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2018 12:53 PM

Daniel R. Smith:
But I only want my notes to post to a particular file? I would like the ability to send notes to that one that is so designated by a sort of "send hyperlinks here" function.

Yes!  Simple to use.  Simple to change to another file, as needed.  And on to a 3rd, or back to the 1st.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS