Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database - each scroll shows up in parallel resources for ANY Bible Verse?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2018 10:49 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/5961/qumran-biblical-dead-sea-scrolls-database

Qumran Scrolls with Morphology.  Awesome.  Couldn't be happier.  But this totally clutters up Parallel Resources.  I see each scroll appear, whether or not that scroll contains the given Bible Reference I am on.  Is there any way to fix this?  Is this a known issue?

I'm contemplating hiding them and just going back to the Brill until this gets resolved.

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 11:38 AM

After rebuilding my library, it appears the issue is ALL Qumram scrolls are considered parallel to each other.  However, if I am at a reference in an English Translation, NIV for example, only the scrolls which contain that verse show up in parallel resources.  So the clutter occurs when I'm in one of the scrolls, wanting to go back to a translation or to the BHS etc

Posts 19401
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 1:01 PM

Josiah:
But this totally clutters up Parallel Resources.

An alternative is Text Comparison

Screen shot shows verses with a variety of Dead Sea Scroll snippets.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 9:23 PM

Yes, Text Comparison is a great tool.  I have quite a few user-defined sets there that I use.

You are right, maybe we don't use Parallel Resources so much anymore.  It's nice to arrow key through resources, but maybe I should just go straight to Text Comparison instead.  I guess it's a workflow thing.

I used to have a lot of my library hidden to remove clutter, but I'm trying to use filters and collections now instead.  But that doesn't work everywhere (e.g. Passage Guide Grammars or Bible Word Study Lexicons)

Posts 19401
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 9:47 PM

Josiah:
... maybe we don't use Parallel Resources so much anymore.

Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls (series) has 260 resources, which is a bit impractical for Parallel Resources (and Multiview). Text Comparison handles various verse snippets in a variety of Dead Sea Scroll resources.

For Parallel Resource use, may want to consider Lexham Dead Sea Scrolls Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible (DSSI)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:39 AM

Josiah:
But this totally clutters up Parallel Resources.  I see each scroll appear, whether or not that scroll contains the given Bible Reference I am on.  Is there any way to fix this?  Is this a known issue?

This is a known issue with Parallel Resources (and a particular bug-bear with me).

Some history.

When Logos 4 was released, there was no parallel resources menu. After an outcry, it was brought back, and only showed resources with the correct reference. However, it was horribly slow, partly (I think) because Logos' indexing hadn't been designed to need this kind of lookup.

A solution to the speed problem was eventually shipped. Instead of looking at each possible resource to see whether it contained the reference, some metadata was added to every resource which (roughly) indicated which references were available. For example, a commentary on the gospel of John would indicate that it references John 1-21, and therefore it would be excluded from lookups outside that range.

That approach sped things up considerably, and works fairly well about 90% of the time. But it falls down for resources that don't include every verse within a reference range. Study Bibles are one example, and the Dead Sea Scrolls fragments are another. (The same issue also affects the Passage Guide, by the way.)

The bad news is that this has been a problem for long enough that I think Faithlife has concluded that the vast majority users are fine with it.

There is (in theory) an alternative method. Rather than using the Parallel Resource menu, you can instead click the + tab to add a new tab. The new tab will consist of two parts. A large lefthand part which lists your history, and is fairly useless. But there's also a smaller righthand part which lists all the parallel resources. But, crucially, every resource in this list is checked to ensure the reference really exists. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow you to specify collections, so if you try it with the Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls database, you'll just get a list of all your English and Hebrew Bibles. If you're prepared to scroll down, you will see the Scrolls, and you may get used to scrolling to the right place over time. (The list is in prioritisation order, so you could prioritise the scrolls a little if you wanted to reduce scrolling.)

Having said all that, don't forget that there is an index to the scrolls. Use that, and you don't need the parallel resource menu at all.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:12 AM

In addition to the index Mark mentioned (which links to the DSS biblical scrolls) you can use the Ancient Literature Guide to find biblical intertexts in the Sectarian Manuscripts.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:13 AM

Mark Barnes:

The bad news is that this has been a problem for long enough that I think Faithlife has concluded that the vast majority users are fine with it.

There is (in theory) an alternative method. Rather than using the Parallel Resource menu, you can instead click the + tab to add a new tab. The new tab will consist of two parts. A large lefthand part which lists your history, and is fairly useless. But there's also a smaller righthand part which lists all the parallel resources. But, crucially, every resource in this list is checked to ensure the reference really exists. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow you to specify collections, so if you try it with the Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls database, you'll just get a list of all your English and Hebrew Bibles. If you're prepared to scroll down, you will see the Scrolls, and you may get used to scrolling to the right place over time. (The list is in prioritisation order, so you could prioritise the scrolls a little if you wanted to reduce scrolling.)

Having said all that, don't forget that there is an index to the scrolls. Use that, and you don't need the parallel resource menu at all.

What a great explanation. I always hated it, especially the accidental left/right arrow that could never return to where you were. 

Coincidentally I was looking at the DSS index vs the DSS Bible index yesterday.  They extend beyond what I (improperly) assumed to be Biblical. MJ's going to nail me. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS