Logos 8 Notes/Highlights/Notebooks confusion

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 33
Andy Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2018 8:12 PM

I have used Logos for years (version 4), but have used the notes feature so little you could say I don't use it. Every version, I try - but I just can't do it.

Sure, I know how to make a note, and now a notebook. I can highlight, etc.

What I've always struggled with is the usability of notes taken, for me they are just random bits here and there - no real organization.

Can you help me wrap my brain around this? I've watched videos, know the basics of the function - the usability of notes is my hurdle.

A Question to Illustrate (just an illustration): Can Notebooks or Notes be nested? like ...

1 Peter Notebook

--Outline

--Paragraph Summaries

--Key Words

--Suffer

--Holy

--Observations

--And So On

See, this is how my brain works, how I organize my thinking. Can Logos 8 organize in the same way? Or how do I need to change my thinking?

Posts 2736
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 9:25 PM

Andy Williams:
Can you help me wrap my brain around this?

If you'll sing, "Moon River" for me, I'll be glad to help.

Just kidding...I don't really understand it either. But I wanted to tag this thread so it will appear in My Posts and I thought this would be a clever way to do it. I'm sure you've never heard that tease (on your name) before, have you? Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 21358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 10:15 PM

Andy Williams:
 See, this is how my brain works, how I organize my thinking. Can Logos 8 organize in the same way? Or how do I need to change my thinking?

Notes in Logos can't be organised in that way - though it is something that has been discussed by other users.

Favorites can be structured in that way and might help with what you are trying to do. Some context at https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites 

Posts 3019
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:35 AM

Andy I can't help with Notes- have not used them in years- L8 only made it worse- I see notes as nothing more than storing Highlights, Workflow is ok, but you can't save them with the resources in it- you have to save it as a layout then drag it to a folder in Favorites I posted a screen shot of what I'm doing.

I use Word doc's and One note to create notes, linking L8 resources into both as I go.

It is actually working the way Notes should work.

Posts 12939
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 1:53 AM

Andy Williams:

Can Notebooks or Notes be nested? like ...

1 Peter Notebook

--Outline

--Paragraph Summaries

--Key Words

--Suffer

--Holy

--Observations

--And So On

My recommendation would be to have a 1 Peter Notebook, and then immediately create a note for "Table of Contents". Then add all your other notes, and link to those from the Table of Contents.

Sorting your notebook by "Date Created" show allow you to find your ToC fairly easily next time. If alphabetical sorting is added in the future, you could make the first line "!Table of Contents" in order to get it to show at the top.

Posts 33
Andy Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:50 AM

I use OneNote as well, though I don't link L8 resources. I do like being able to organize my notes how I wish.

Posts 433
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 7:00 AM

And, I am beginning to think One Note is the way to go. The new Notes is WAY WAY WAY too complicated. I was one of the ones clamoring for a robust Notes system. FL delivered. And, now I am going through a penance stage.

Posts 433
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 7:04 AM

Doc B:

Andy Williams:

Just kidding...I don't really understand it either. But I wanted to tag this thread so it will appear in My Posts and I thought this would be a clever way to do it. I'm sure you've never heard that tease (on your name) before, have you? Big Smile

Doc B - you crack me up!Smile

Posts 12939
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 7:50 AM

Bill Cook:
The new Notes is WAY WAY WAY too complicated.

There's lots about the new Notes that needs to be improved, but one thing it isn't and that's complicated. If anything, it's too simple.

Posts 1672
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 10:13 AM

Wyndell shows how FAVORITES can be nested to organize according to user preference. I think it makes good sense to be able to drag a shortcut to a "notebook" into the nested structure of Favorites. Am I wrong?

Posts 433
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 10:52 AM

Mark Barnes:

Bill Cook:

There's lots about the new Notes that needs to be improved, but one thing it isn't and that's complicated. If anything, it's too simple.

Perhaps I am struggling to grasp the paradigm of the New Notes.

Posts 3019
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 12:43 PM

Mark Barnes:

Bill Cook:

I guess complicated is probably not the best way to describe it- messy, to much hoopla, etc. It is not practical.

I use favorites to help organize, one note and words to keep information- Word doc's I turn into PBB's and nest them within the notebook for the study- it works for teaching, study, preaching, just all round information to share. No fuss, no muss, no way to lose your way- by the way most of the Workflow's will even make this task easier- but NOTES, NO WAY!!!

Posts 3019
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 12:46 PM

Doc B:

Andy Williams:

Just or Doc :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jgIezosVA 

Posts 33
Andy Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:07 PM

Mark Barnes:

Well, simple doesn't mean intuitive, nor does it mean usable, nor effective. This has been my problem with Notes I cant figure out how to make Notes these things. So I'll look to 3rd party solutions as suggested. Either way, my study will get done, my notes saved somehow.

And BTW, I'd be very wealthy if I had a dollar for every time I've been asked to sing Moon River, or how the Osmonds are doing. If you'd like to make a donation, I'm sure I could figure out a way to receive it. ;-) 

Posts 12939
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 2:44 AM

Andy Williams:
Well, simple doesn't mean intuitive, nor does it mean usable, nor effective. This has been my problem with Notes I cant figure out how to make Notes these things. So I'll look to 3rd party solutions as suggested. Either way, my study will get done, my notes saved somehow.

Roughly speaking, I think this is where we've come from, where we are and where we're going:

• Where we've come from: Some power users arm-wrestled the old notes system into an effective system for them. But most users didn't bother with the arm-wrestling, and just worked around the old notes limitations and learned to live with just the basics.
  • Where we are: In a state of flux. For most users, the new system doesn't require the arm-wrestling the old system did, which means (for them) it's both a simplification and an improvement — and more intuitive too. Although even for these users, some of is still to be added is a problem. But for those who had their notes 'just so', in some cases the new system can't be made to do what the old system could be made to do, and that's a major issue for them. The state of flux also means its difficult to build a new workflow, because some things might change soon.
  • Where we're going: Forwards, not backwards. Notes will continue to develop, but the basic framework is here to stay. The best thing for those affected, is to look at the "Missing Functionality" section, and try and re-design your workflow in the light of that section.

My own view is that if someone considers the new Notes tool complicated or unintuitive it's probably a sign that they're looking at the new tool through the lens of the old tool. That's understandable, of course, but I think we'll get the most out of the new tool if we can look at it with fresh eyes.

Posts 3019
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 3:55 AM

Mark -

notes is a mess, I will continue to use One Note ad Word- those who like go for it, for me it is the worst they ever done.

Posts 433
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 6:15 AM

Mark Barnes:

My own view is that if someone considers the new Notes tool complicated or unintuitive it's probably a sign that they're looking at the new tool through the lens of the old tool. That's understandable, of course, but I think we'll get the most out of the new tool if we can look at it with fresh eyes.

That is what I would like to do - that is, look at it through new eyes. But, I don't know where to start.

Posts 433
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 10:33 AM

So, the notes I had made previously that were migrated to the New Notes if a highlighted section of text seems to have become an Anchor in the New Notes.

It does not seem possible unless I am missing it to search for the highlighted text. Is that correct?

Posts 9640
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 10:40 AM

Bill Cook:
It does not seem possible unless I am missing it to search for the highlighted text. Is that correct?

Yes. This is # 6 of the upcoming features at https://www.logos.com/faq/notes 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5
Paul Dirks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 1:41 PM

Count me as one person for whom the new Notes is an incredible blessing. I am probably a moderate user of Notes and the filtering and taxonomies behind that allow me to read books and highlight or note-take almost as easily and simply as I would with text, trusting I'll be able to find it later. The new notes was alone worth the 400$ I spent to upgrade. 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS