Logos 8 Notes/Highlights/Notebooks confusion

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4918
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 9:57 PM

I have say I’m not impressed with the new notes tool either, it’s a hodge podge that is clearly not ready but as usual FL take the goodwill of their customers for granted and release incomplete buggy software to them and their marketing hypes it up to be what it is not. For me OneNote is going to be used as my main note taking tool and Logos just used for highlights while reading. 

Whyndell Grizzard:

Mark -

notes is a mess, I will continue to use One Note ad Word- those who like go for it, for me it is the worst they ever done.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:36 AM

Mark Barnes:

• Where we've come from: Some power users arm-wrestled the old notes system into an effective system for them. But most users didn't bother with the arm-wrestling, and just worked around the old notes limitations and learned to live with just the basics.
  • Where we are: In a state of flux. For most users, the new system doesn't require the arm-wrestling the old system did, which means (for them) it's both a simplification and an improvement — and more intuitive too. Although even for these users, some of is still to be added is a problem. But for those who had their notes 'just so', in some cases the new system can't be made to do what the old system could be made to do, and that's a major issue for them. The state of flux also means its difficult to build a new workflow, because some things might change soon.
  • Where we're going: Forwards, not backwards. Notes will continue to develop, but the basic framework is here to stay. The best thing for those affected, is to look at the "Missing Functionality" section, and try and re-design your workflow in the light of that section.

I don't doubt this is the intent. However, because of past experience, I'll be waiting to dive in to the new notes system, and I have no idea how long that'll take.

I don't question FL's planning or integrity. (I've always said their biggest problem is their marketing people are much better than their programmers...tongue-in-cheek but with some irony as well.) What I do question is, why release such a not-ready-for-prime-time product? It is unfortunate that we have to wait for all the features to actually work as intended. If the wait is as long as some of the L4-L7 stuff, we are in a bind.  I hope that's not the case.

I will give credit to FL for listening...the old Notes tool worked as intended but the intentions were woefully short of the kind of functionality one expects from a software package in its price range. Moving forward, as Mark says, is great and I'm going to be as patient as possible while they flesh this thing out.

FL, just please keep your marketing people at bay until the programmers can do their thing. It'll save you a lot of grief from loyal customers (and maybe programmers as well).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 11:47 AM

I wonder if someone did a demographic study of notes users vs notes non-users (those who "get notes" and those who don't) if there would be an age correlation.

This whole idea of faceted browsing/searching is just gobbledegook to a senior citizen raised on pen and paper. I am used to paragraphs and outlines in a document with a title. Notes seems to be a collection of different colored sticky notes left stuck around on the walls with a secret code allowing you to find them one at a time.

But, having said that, nobody is making me use them.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 12:52 PM

doc:

I have say I’m not impressed with the new notes tool either, it’s a hodge podge that is clearly not ready but as usual FL take the goodwill of their customers for granted and release incomplete buggy software to them and their marketing hypes it up to be what it is not. For me OneNote is going to be used as my main note taking tool and Logos just used for highlights while reading. 

Whyndell Grizzard:

Mark -

notes is a mess, I will continue to use One Note ad Word- those who like go for it, for me it is the worst they ever done.

This is what I have been doing for 2 years now- notes was just for storing highlight- doesn't look mush different now. Just using One Note and Word have organized over 500 notebooks with notes on 31 books of the Bible. I use 3 monitors which makes it great for Verbum, L8 and Word open with notes linked to L7 (now L8). By the way this type of use is what I always wanted from Notes, and I'm still waiting.

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 1:01 PM

John C Connell Jr.:
I wonder if someone did a demographic study of notes users vs notes non-users (those who "get notes" and those who don't) if there would be an age correlation.

Interesting question. It's certainly easier for us to learn new things when we are young, but I wouldn't want age to deter me from gradually learning and adopting new approaches.

John C Connell Jr.:
This whole idea of faceted browsing/searching is just gobbledegook to a senior citizen raised on pen and paper. I am used to paragraphs and outlines in a document with a title. Notes seems to be a collection of different colored sticky notes left stuck around on the walls with a secret code allowing you to find them one at a time.

I think that notes has changed in a potentially very useful way (and it's great to see facets also appearing elsewhere, such as library and docs). I can't say that I use notes facets much at all (likely to my detriment), but I'd like to understand how to (re)organize my notes to take better advantage of new capabilities like facets.

John C Connell Jr.:
But, having said that, nobody is making me use them.

I think that L8 notes are an improvement over L7 notes (even if there are some issues left to implement).

But even with something as "simple" as notes, there's still a learning curve. Every time I think I grasp how I think I can use them, I come to realize that there's probably a better or more powerful way.

I guess the more I use new notes, the more I become more comfortable with the new system, yet the more I realize I don't understand yet about how to best utilize new notes.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 1:13 PM

Petah-

let me know when you do- web conference for lessons.

Posts 4
Richard Dillon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 4:43 AM

2 questions:

1) In version 7 and before I purposely used the fact that highlighting also put the text in a notes document in one step  How do I do that in version 8?

2)  How do you apply the new note functionality to old note files?

Thank you

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:51 AM

Count me in as someone who just doesn’t get notes.  I tried.  I really did.  If someone is willing to explain to me how you use word or onenote outside of logos to store your notes, I’d Appreciate that.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 21871
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 8:37 AM

Richard Dillon:
1) In version 7 and before I purposely used the fact that highlighting also put the text in a notes document in one step  How do I do that in version 8?

In version 7, you did this by assigning a note document to a highlighting palette

You can do the same thing in Logos 8 for notebooks

But while this can be useful in some scenarios it is important to know that Logos 8 associates the resource information with the highlight. So you can easily find highlights within a resource without worrying about notebooks.

Below I've selected the NIV resource and it shows all notes and highlights made against that resource. If I further selected "highlight" from the "Type" facet it would only display highlights

This has certainly reduced my use of highlight-specific notebooks.

Richard Dillon:
2)  How do you apply the new note functionality to old note files?

Please expand / clarify what you mean by this

Graham

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:43 AM

PetahChristian:

John C Connell Jr.:

Interesting question. It's certainly easier for us to learn new things when we are young, but I wouldn't want age to deter me from gradually learning and adopting new approaches.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Posts 1971
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:31 PM

Mike Binks:

😂🤣😂

Posts 755
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 10:04 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

Count me in as someone who just doesn’t get notes.  I tried.  I really did.  If someone is willing to explain to me how you use word or onenote outside of logos to store your notes, I’d Appreciate that.

Cynthia,

I think that Graham is pointing out that notes is evolving and it may be too early to throw in the towel.  Just consider that notes stored off the reservation will not be searched as your personal content with a Logos search.  That alone, has made me willing to wait a few months.

BTW: I am a heavy user of OneNote notebooks and have even set up collaborative sharing of notebooks at work.  I tend to take Sunday School and class notes in OneNote. But I wouldn't want to have my Logos research in a OneNote notebook just for the searching issue.  Searching in OneNote is "hokey" and not nearly as powerful as Logos searches.

Posts 237
Anthony Dowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:20 AM

I am 70+ years old and like many others do find new things hard to grasp.

However, I am determined to get to grips with notes as I think using anything outside of Logos for is never going to be as good as keeping within the software.

To that end I have been through all the links I could find and have searched the internet for everything I could find on the new notes system. I set aside a few days just to watch and read them all. After about three days I was able to then determine how I would make use of the system.

i have added loads of notes and, aside from the ’known‘ issues (which are noted and being worked on) I am finding the system really easy to use.

Stick with it if you can - when you get that ’lighbulb’ moment you will be so glad that you did.

Blessings to all my fellow Bible Studiers.

Posts 1971
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 5:25 AM

Anthony Dowden:
Stick with it if you can - when you get that ’lighbulb’ moment you will be so glad that you did.

👍🏽

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 11:31 AM

My recommendation would be to have a 1 Peter Notebook, and then immediately create a note for "Table of Contents". Then add all your other notes, and link to those from the Table of Contents.

I like this idea Mark. Could each item in a table of contents link to another Notebook or will it only work linking to a Note? How do you do the linking?

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS