Which datasets do you use most frequently?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2018 1:39 PM

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade from "starter" to "bronze". It's a lot of money (for me) so I don't want to do it if I am just going to accumulate a lot of things I'll never use. When I look through the list of the datasets, I don't even understand what many of them do. And there's such a long list of them, how do you even remember that you own an appropriate dataset should a time come up that it would be useful to use it?

So, basically, I was wondering how much other people use them, and which ones you find most helpful.

Thanks!

Posts 4669
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 2:03 PM

Gail:
So, basically, I was wondering how much other people use them, and which ones you find most helpful.

Psalms Explorer

Proverbs Explorer

New Testament use of the Old Testament

I think there are videos demonstrating each of these if you want to know more.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 2:04 PM

Gail,

The datasets you are referring to lie behind many of the tools Faithlife has developed. You don't actually access them directly.

For example, the Proverbs Explorer dataset is needed to use the Proverbs Explorer Interactive. The Psalms Explorer dataset is needed for the Psalms Explorer Interactive. The Speech Acts of the New Testament dataset lets you search your Bible for various types of speech, such as a command. 

(As you are pointing out, the dataset list isn't too helpful because it doesn't explain what these datasets are useful for.)

I have all of them, so I have all the features, Interactives, information, and search capabilities they supply. Honestly I don't use many of tools or search capabilities they provide. You have a decent set of these tools and search capabilities with the Starter set. If your Bible study needs are rather simple - look up a passage in a commentary, do simple searches, locate a place on a map, trace someone's genealogy, read a dictionary article or two, follow a Basic Bible Study workflow, etc. - you probably don't need to spend the money. You already have a lot to work with and the fraction of the new features you'd get that you'd use regularly might be small. That's just my opinion.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3253
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2018 2:42 PM

Of the bronze datasets, the one I make the most use of is Biblical Word Senses. It lets you search for meanings of words, rather than a specific word.

In this example, you can see how the firmament sense also matches occurrences where it is translated expanse, and vaulted dome.

As Mark discussed, a tool (like the Bible Sense Lexicon) is powered by its dataset.

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 7:31 AM

Thanks so much for the info, everyone. Smile

Posts 451
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:58 PM

I began with Logos 4 and I think the Lemma In Passage data set/tool (included in Bronze) is the first new tool that adds value to my weekly sermon prep. I honestly can't think of any other feature that has meaningfully impacted my regular work in all the subsequent releases.

Lemma in Passage will be useful to you if...

1. You need to do word studies regularly
  2. AND you have a fair number of technical commentaries in your library

I also occasionally use the Psalms Explorer.

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:53 AM

Thanks, Dave. 

Posts 2205
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:14 AM

Many of the "datasets" are incorporated into the information window and guides so I do not alway think about them being datasets.

For me Bible Sense is essential. For example, going through Romans, the term "law" is used by Paul to mean several different things. Bible Sense really assists me.

Important Words, Important Passages, Intertext, Proverbs Explorer, Psalms Explorer are some other that I find really useful.

Here is a screenshot of my workspace looking at the word "law" in Rom 7. You can see the Bible Sense in the BWS and the Information Window.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS