Is Logos 8 an improvement?

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 227
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:29 AM

David McKay:

Do you think Logos 8 is an improvement? How? 

In addition to Phil's document there is a lot of information in this Forum as well. 

Hard to come up with a good analogy but I think that most would agree that 7 to 8 is a bigger step forward than 6 to 7 so has a bit more of a learning curve than you might expect. 

The other downside of this bigger step forward is that there are some rough edges that still need finishing off. 

The big plus here is that by taking the bigger step 8 removes constraints that could probably never be addressed in smaller steps. UI consistency is probably a reasonable example. Personally I did not appreciate or even notice the accumulated inconsistencies in 7. I can see it now and while the transition is painful I appreciate that there will be further benefits as new features appear. 

Better and improved are subjective terms and believe me when 8 downloaded to my system and I went to the home page to start my daily Bible reading these were not the words that described 8.

8 is enough of a change to justify making time to familiarise yourself with it IMHO. 

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:43 AM

Francis:

I also like it that Denise does not because it contributes a sense of normality to my world. Right, Denise? Wink

You guys are like the husband that told his wife what you really, really wanted in a new car. You were quite specific (you thought). She happily came home with the brand new car, and it was missing pretty much everything you spoke about. But, oh wow, what a great car!! Maybe the next one?

Or need I reference the thread?

Posts 3647
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:47 AM

That's it! Go for it, Dee!

Joke aside, one may ask a Corvette for Christmas and not get it. To replace the 2015 Mazda, they get the 2018 edition. Not as glamorous that's true but doesn't mean it's not an upgrade and nicer.

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:58 AM

Francis:

That's it! Go for it, Dee!

Joke aside, one may ask a Corvette for Christmas and not get it. To replace the 2015 Mazda, they get the 2018 edition. Not as glamorous that's true but doesn't mean it's not an upgrade and nicer.

Mr Francis, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I haven't updated about 40 of my ios apps. If there's no security issues, and nothing I need, let it sit ... devs have bad habits. See doc's comment.

Regarding the Mazda, if you're married, you'll do well.

Posts 3647
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 6:06 AM

deleted post (digression)

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 6:22 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

One useful Logos 8 improvement is having two Library tabs open (with different filtering) when modifying titles and/or collection(s).

Thankful for Faithlife article => Changes from Logos 7 to Logos 8

Keep Smiling Smile

I did not even know this.  Thanks.

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 6:44 AM

David McKay:

I'm choosing to be patient.  'Now' really isn't the time to ask this question.  Wait a year until all the marketing promises have been fulfilled (or not). I've learned to smack myself when I see something in Logos that looks "promising." Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't.

As I said, I'm choosing to be patient. There will be *plenty* of time to rejoice or be critical in a few months when we see where this goes.

My only point of negativity (I've expressed elsewhere on the forums) is my surprise at the not-ready-for-primetime nature of the new release. I'm sure there are reasons known only to those in the meeting rooms where the decisions were made, but based on recent history, I'm surprised at the volume of, "coming soons" in the software (one example below).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:03 AM

Doc B:
I'm surprised at the volume of, "coming soons" in the software (one example below).

FYI - this is now included in the current beta, which doesn't negate the point you are making but I wanted to let you know

Posts 9
Roland Bowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:11 AM

For me, it is NOT. This is why...

For those who work in more than one language like me (Spanish and English) it is NOT an improvement. They removed the "Preferred Bible" button from the Home Page. Technical Support told me I have to go to the Library, search for the preferred Bible I want to use, select it, go to Prioritize and then move it up to the top. WOW! This is important because the hyperlinks work according to the preferred bible. So each time I decided to study and prepare lessons in English or Spanish, I now have to go through all these steps.

This feature removal outweighs for me the benefits of Logos 8. If you work this way DO NOT switch to Logos 8 until they restore this feature or provide an easier way to switch preferred Bibles.

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:18 AM

Roland Bowen:
until they restore this feature or provide an easier way to switch preferred Bibles.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/174028/1006149.aspx#1006149 shows some ideas that are being considered to address this.

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:25 AM

Awesome!

Posts 17874
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 12:39 PM

Roland Bowen:
Technical Support told me I have to go to the Library, search for the preferred Bible I want to use, select it, go to Prioritize and then move it up to the top. WOW! This is important because the hyperlinks work according to the preferred bible. So each time I decided to study and prepare lessons in English or Spanish, I now have to go through all these steps.

An alternative is using Advanced Prioritization to specify Bible (or Bible Commentary) for verse lookup using Bible Type (e.g. RVR0060 for NVI), or specified resource (Bible or Commentary or Notes ...). Advanced Prioritization can be filtered to a Passage Range

Screen shot shows 1917:Tanakh text for verse pop-up in a commentary. Advanced Prioritization matched before highest Preferred Bible.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 262
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 1:10 PM

I use Logos daily and upgraded to Logos 8 the very first day it was available. I can say without hesitation that it is a vast improvement. The improvement in speed and stability alone with worth the upgrade. They have made really good layout improvements. Lots of small things that are really good once you discover them. The panels on the homepage are a very good idea and the new notes tool is really good too. Although I personally won't get much out of them, the workflows will benefit many and are a great idea.  Canvas is just eye candy that is easy to criticize but it is isn't nearly as useful as some of the other less publicized improvements. Logos 8 is a vast step up - like going from Logos 5 to Logos 6 was.

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 1:14 PM

Roland Bowen:

For me, it is NOT. This is why...

For those who work in more than one language like me (Spanish and English) it is NOT an improvement. They removed the "Preferred Bible" button from the Home Page. Technical Support told me I have to go to the Library, search for the preferred Bible I want to use, select it, go to Prioritize and then move it up to the top. WOW! This is important because the hyperlinks work according to the preferred bible. So each time I decided to study and prepare lessons in English or Spanish, I now have to go through all these steps.

This feature removal outweighs for me the benefits of Logos 8. If you work this way DO NOT switch to Logos 8 until they restore this feature or provide an easier way to switch preferred Bibles.

If I am understanding your issue correctly wouldn't this problem be resolved by opening the one you want to prefer for that session and set it to "Send all Hyperlinks Here"?

https://wiki.logos.com/Send_Hyperlinks_here 

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 2:21 PM

Greg Corbin:

I use Logos daily and upgraded to Logos 8 the very first day it was available. I can say without hesitation that it is a vast improvement. The improvement in speed and stability alone with worth the upgrade. They have made really good layout improvements. Lots of small things that are really good once you discover them. The panels on the homepage are a very good idea and the new notes tool is really good too. Although I personally won't get much out of them, the workflows will benefit many and are a great idea.  Canvas is just eye candy that is easy to criticize but it is isn't nearly as useful as some of the other less publicized improvements. Logos 8 is a vast step up - like going from Logos 5 to Logos 6 was.

Greg, I agree with you. Upgraded day one and haven't looked back. I have been a Logos user since Pre-Logos 4 and thought Logos 4 was a fantastic upgrade. I skipped 5 and moved to 6's engine. Re-engaged on 7 and have found 8 to be definitely the most stable and snappy response to-date. Being in the software industry, a release goes out with the best of the desired functionality possible. Doesn't mean there aren't hiccups or things that could be improved. that is always how it is in the world of software. Personally I am delighted with the improvements this version is offering.

Being with FL for so long I know they will continue to tweak things along and do what can reasonably be done to address issues or things left out. Give them some time, it takes a lot to roll out a multi-platform release. Just saying this as I have been involved with this type of thing in another industry.

Maybe L8 isn't what you are looking for, so then wait. There is a bit of a learning curve on some components but to-date all worth the time investment.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 3655
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 4:10 PM

David McKay:

For me, the main "improvements" are speed & the opportunity to upgrade at a MUCH lower cost than usual, during their release celebration.

I stopped using notes after they didn't survive the 3-4 transition (I think, when they rewrote the package last time). And having completed years ago both my seminary training & establishment of my process for preaching every week, the workflow parts would slow me more than help me. New functionality wasn't a compelling reason. But speed & cost to upgrade were both compelling reasons. So I upgraded to platinum.

And so far I'm loving it... none of the changes have slowed me down (after helping to reconstruct some of my layouts, a one-time event). And it is faster. And I love having the new resources.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS