Mac advice for a PC user

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 171
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:28 AM

I am swithing to a Mac and since Logos is undoubtedly the most resource intensive program I use, I thought I'd turn here for advice.

I've been used to a pretty well spec'd Surface Book for the past few years. (i7, 8gb, 256gb SSD).

I really like the new Macbook, but I know it just has the core-m processor. How CPU intensive is logos? Will I be okay with this or should I try to get into the new MacBook Air with an i5 instead?

Not looking for a Mac/PC argument. Just advice on how logos will run on one of the new MacBook devices. Trying to keep my cost low with a focus on writing and being able to run Logos. I don't game or rarely even watch videos so my usage is pretty limited.

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:39 AM

The SSD speed and size is probably the most important spec for running Logos. I have a late 2012 MBP with 512 SSD that runs L8 great.

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 10:04 AM

People have mentioned on the forums from time to time that they have run Logos on the MacBooks just fine. Indexing takes longer, but most other functions are fine.

But honestly, the Macbook Air is going to be your better buy. It will be cheaper, with more power. It also has the 3rd gen keyboard versus the 2nd gen on the Macbook. The size difference is minimal, you won't notice the extra .75 pounds in your backpack.

Just make sure, as John mentioned, that you watch the SSD size. I would not get the 128 GB SSD. 256 is the minimum I would get, and that would be if I didn't have pictures, videos, etc. on the SSD. The Logos library size can get pretty large (mine is currently 42 GB), and if you watch mobile ed videos, those add to the size. Finally, indexing requires additional space temporarily.

Posts 3166
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 10:26 AM

I'd choose the newer MacBook Air (Late 2018) over the MacBook (Mid 2017).

Faster processor, faster memory, slightly bigger display, slightly better screen resolution, better battery life, and touch ID.

You'd be paying $100 more (to get 256GB on the Air), but I think the other benefits would make it worthwhile.

Here's a link to Apple's comparison page for those two models.

FYI, I run Logos on a MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) that has similar single-core benchmark results to the newer MacBook Air, and have no performance issues.

Posts 17877
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 8:32 PM

John Eggen:
I really like the new Macbook, but I know it just has the core-m processor. How CPU intensive is logos? Will I be okay with this or should I try to get into the new MacBook Air with an i5 instead?

Geekbench => https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks shows an early 2015 MacBook Air model with i7-5650U having nearly identical CPU benchmark as a mid 2017 Mac Book with m3-7Y32

Apple offers refurbished Mac's => https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac (same warranty as new with refurbished sticker on shipping box)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS