Complete Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture to be released in August

Page 4 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 498
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:08 AM

For those wanting a preview of the books, I found good chunks of the first volume on Genesis on Google Books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mw4uH4RIywEC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA48#v=onepage&q&f=false

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:00 AM

Dan DeVilder:
To use on Libronix, you will need to purchase from IVP/Amazon . . . is that right?

Dan,

If I did not already have volume 1 of the ACCS where it costs me $135 to upgrade to get the whole package from Logos, I would definitely go route number 4 because it is much less expensive and because it will work on L3.  When I upgraded yesterday, I also downloaded the license to use Volume 2 of ACCS on L3, I just don't have the book files for L3.

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:10 AM

Last night I asked my sales person about the files - and he wrote back to me, quote:  "Logos is definitely moving towards making titles available only for Logos 4".

I find this very disturbing

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:30 AM

ELA:

L4 is not scheduled to be finished until 2011 sometime unspecified and it appears Logos is already moving away from supporting version 3.

Posts 3768
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 9:05 AM

Joan Korte:

Dan DeVilder:
To use on Libronix, you will need to purchase from IVP/Amazon . . . is that right?

Dan,

If I did not already have volume 1 of the ACCS where it costs me $135 to upgrade to get the whole package from Logos, I would definitely go route number 4 because it is much less expensive and because it will work on L3.  When I upgraded yesterday, I also downloaded the license to use Volume 2 of ACCS on L3, I just don't have the book files for L3.

Joan, but can you access them via L4?  I would normally think "yes".  But my question is: if you purchase the L4 version, can one still download the Libronix version--say you are running it on a slower machine, and need access to your books there.  Normally, it seems "yes".  But if the libronix was CD only . . . makes me wonder.   Can we get an MVP to clear this up?!  Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:39 AM

Dan DeVilder:
But my question is: if you purchase the L4 version, can one still download the Libronix version--say you are running it on a slower machine, and need access to your books there.  Normally, it seems "yes".  But if the libronix was CD only . . . makes me wonder.  

I have already downloaded the upgrade into L4.  I cannot download any files for L3 because what Logos is selling is available only for Logos 4.  However, I have read the product pages for the ACCS Complete series cd rom from two vendors, one being the parent company, and both say for Libronix Digital Library.  If I could, I would buy the cd rom.  From what I know, it will work with both Libronix and L4.   A few weeks ago, I purchased the cd rom version of the Hermeneia series (before the better deal came out with the Continental Commentary series) and it installed in Libronix and L4.  Same with the Song of Songs commentary (Concordia) that I got on cd rom; it also downloaded files for version 4.  Does that help?

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:21 AM

ELA:

Last night I asked my sales person about the files - and he wrote back to me, quote:  "Logos is definitely moving towards making titles available only for Logos 4".

Yes, me too!  Not only is L4 not a complete product yet, but to my mind it remains a deeply flawed product concept. I run it side by side wih L3, but mainly only because it does searches faster (when its not actually indexing or merging indexes).

I am even more disturbed that I wasn't informed that this was not going to be for L3 when I was asked to purchased it.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:10 PM

Just to add to the noise here. I have all the ACCS print volumes. I found out almost by accident that IVP considers me a member. For the members price they sent me the CD. It installs on L3, but it takes moments for L4 to realize it and port it over as any other book or series. Slick.

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 8:02 AM

Rosie Perera:

nicky crane:

what about some sample pages of Complete Ancient Christian Commentary?

Check on Amazon.com. They've got sample pages for several of the volumes.

Gregory Bednarchik:

Kent Hendricks:

The Apocrypha is part of the full version. We're currently updating the product page.

Is it only part of the L4 version downloaded from Logos or is it also included in the CD-ROM purchased from IVP?  I would think they would be the same content, but didn't want to assume it?

Greg

I'm not allowed to link to the IVP website, but if you look for it you'll find it, and indeed the Apocrypha is part of both versions. That's why I even knew it existed and was surprised to find it missing from the product description page on Logos's website, but Kent set my mind at ease about that and indeed the page has been updated to include it.

Thanks Rosie.

I am sure from reading your posts that you are correct. I did try to find the listing on the IVP site.  They are showing 29 volumes: 14 OT, 15 NT.  I see that the Apocrypha is the 15th volume of the OT series, I just don't see it in the software listing.  Would you mind sending me a link via email gregDOTbednarchikATverizonDOTnet.

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 10:00 AM

Gregory Bednarchik:

I am sure from reading your posts that you are correct. I did try to find the listing on the IVP site.  They are showing 29 volumes: 14 OT, 15 NT.  I see that the Apocrypha is the 15th volume of the OT series, I just don't see it in the software listing.  Would you mind sending me a link via email.

Never mind I found the reference to the Apocrypha -

IVP:

Inside you'll find

• all twenty-nine volumes of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture
  • commentary by the church fathers on all sixty-six books of the Bible and the Apocrypha
  • introductions by world-renowned patristics scholars
  • a money-saving package
  • the new revolutionary Libronix Digital Library System (TM)
  • a free KJV Bible
  • unlockable versions of the Bible, including NASB, NRSV, NLT, RSV and The Message
  • The Essential IVP Reference Collection (unlockable for a fee)
  • a complete user's manual on the CD

It is a little confusing because that would be the 30th volume and they keep referencing "all twenty-nine volumes".  Also, it is not in the listing of volumes.

Thanks again for your expert help.

Greg

Posts 785
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 12:36 PM

Just received an L3 DVD copy of ACCS in the mail.  Installed and synched licenses, then downloaded the L4 versions.  Very nice. 

The 30th volume ...

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 521
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 1:43 PM

I too just installed my L3 disc of the complete ACCS into my copy of L3 and then I let L4 discover the new books and scaned them over. L4 then began to update to the native file format, after it was done downloading. I checked and it only updated the 19 new volumes to the native L4 format, the other files it left in L3 format.

I'm sure when Logos releases the complete ACCS on Oct 15th, the rest of the files will be available in native L4 format.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 1:50 AM

Bobby Terhune:

I too just installed my L3 disc of the complete ACCS into my copy of L3 and then I let L4 discover the new books and scaned them over. L4 then began to update to the native file format, after it was done downloading. I checked and it only updated the 19 new volumes to the native L4 format, the other files it left in L3 format.

I am so jealous - I feel cheated and done by Logos.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 3:22 AM

FWIW, I have all the volumes downloaded in L4 including the Apocrypha after purchasing the upgrade last week.  I just wish I had them all in L3.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 3:49 AM

Joan Korte:

FWIW, I have all the volumes downloaded in L4 including the Apocrypha after purchasing the upgrade last week.  I just wish I had them all in L3.

I totally agree with you Joan and Stephen.  The L3 files should be available to all users regardless of how you purchased the upgrade.  It is very disturbing that either or both companies( I don't  want to make an assumption on who made the decision) have determined that if we purchase the upgrade through Logos that we don't have a right to access to the L3 files for the remainder of this series, particularly when the first part of this package was released in L3 format. I am also disappointed in the blurb on the Logos page saying this is only available in L4 format when this is clearly not the case.

Posts 30
Paul T. McCain | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:50 AM

I installed L4 on My Mac, and tried to install the ACCS CD which I got last Friday directly from IVP, but L4 doesn't load it up. Any idea what's going on?

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 5:06 AM

Paul T. McCain:

I installed L4 on My Mac, and tried to install the ACCS CD which I got last Friday directly from IVP, but L4 doesn't load it up. Any idea what's going on?

Are you sure it is a Mac CD?  Last night, I ordered the IVP ACCS CD from a very large online book retailer.  It said it wasn't available until 11/8.  I saw the posts today about people loading up their ACCS from IVP. Went back and looked and discovered I had erroneously ordered the Mac version. 

Greg

Posts 10651
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 5:48 AM

Gregory Bednarchik:
I had erroneously ordered the Mac version.

That would probably be the Accordance version.

Gregory Bednarchik:
Are you sure it is a Mac CD? 

Macs can read Windows CDs.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 12:33 PM

Rosie,

Many thanks for explaining so clearly how I can look inside books by searching for a word.  Will try that.  I think I may have bought a couple of books from Amazon.com  (usually I get them from Amazon.uk).

Ela, many thanks for your samples.  That was a big help.

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 2:18 PM

For those of us who are still on L3, remember things move forward.  It doesn't matter what segment of life you're talking about, things move on.  

L3 is fantastic, but if Logos kept its efforts on L3 it would hinder the development of L4.  And when L5 comes in several years, L4 will be replaced and we will either need to move forward or stay behind.  

This is a problem in the computer hardware and software industry that has always been present and will always be present.  There is no fix for this problem.

Wilson Hines

Page 4 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS