Convert PDF journals to Logos

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 84
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:24 AM

I can't find if/where this was mentioned before.  I am wanting to store the theological journals I read in my Logos library so I can access and reference at a later time.

Can someone point me in the direction of how to accomplish this?  Thanks!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 2660
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:34 AM

The only avenue currently available is to convert PDF to MS Word (.docx), then make personal books.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 8447
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 9:14 AM

Here is a wiki to help with creating a person book - https://wiki.logos.com/personal_books

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1548
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:41 AM

Brad:
I am wanting to store the theological journals I read in my Logos library so I can access and reference at a later time.

FYI, I have had trouble converting the PDFs of the Midwestern Journal of Theology into Docx using Microsoft Word. If you find a solution, I would love to hear it.

Posts 84
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:57 AM

David Thomas:

Brad:
I am wanting to store the theological journals I read in my Logos library so I can access and reference at a later time.

FYI, I have had trouble converting the PDFs of the Midwestern Journal of Theology into Docx using Microsoft Word. If you find a solution, I would love to hear it.

Ironically that's the journal I was looking to import!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 1548
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:01 AM

Brad:
Ironically that's the journal I was looking to import!

I had noticed somewhere on the Forum that you are a MBTS student, and since FA18 just dropped today, I assumed that may be the case.

Posts 8
Don Kolafa | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:08 AM

I make heavy use of 'favorites' where my home page has a favorites tab.  Then after creating folders within the favorites, I drag many different document shortcuts to the favorites tab.  I then include--within the specific Bible verse Bookmarks--PDF's, Word documents, Powerpoints and videos. Windows uses the necessary host application to display the non-Logos item.  At any point, then, I can temporarily leave Logos for the external document.  After done with that external application, simply closing or minimizing the document brings you back to Logos. 

Posts 1650
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:16 PM

David Thomas:
trouble converting the PDFs of the Midwestern Journal of Theology into Docx

I just took a look at that one. Word can't convert it because it's not a text-based PDF; rather it is a series of images. That's why the file is 24MB in size. Apparently the publishers made a PDF from the press-ready images for the print publication, rather than creating it from a text editor source. I have Acrobat Pro on my work computer, so I converted it from that into Word, but the result wasn't satisfactory, as some paragraphs were converted into actual text, some were made into images.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5 | Fully Blinkered Calvinistic Baptist

Posts 12710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:00 AM

Robert M. Warren:

David Thomas:
trouble converting the PDFs of the Midwestern Journal of Theology into Docx

I just took a look at that one. Word can't convert it because it's not a text-based PDF; rather it is a series of images. That's why the file is 24MB in size. Apparently the publishers made a PDF from the press-ready images for the print publication, rather than creating it from a text editor source. I have Acrobat Pro on my work computer, so I converted it from that into Word, but the result wasn't satisfactory, as some paragraphs were converted into actual text, some were made into images.

If that’s the case you’ll need OCR software to accomplish this. It still won’t be perfect, but Abbyy is the best OCRin my experience.

Posts 1548
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 10:08 AM

Robert M. Warren:
the result wasn't satisfactory, as some paragraphs were converted into actual text, some were made into images.

Thanks for confirming!  I got so frustrated with a previous edition of MJT that I haven't even tried the current edition. I'm glad to know that other users are trying other paths and still finding similar results. I'm not glad you got unsatisfactory results, I'm glad that the problem seems not to be this user's error. Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS