For Lands Sakes, Don't Cancel Your Brill Etymological Prepub

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1366
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 7:55 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Well, I am finally convinced. I loved understanding the origins of words and love to study Greek so that's why I'm interested in this. I have placed my order as I doubt it will ever be less money in the future. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Denise.

Well, I finally made the same decision ( in the last hours ). Thanks Denise and others!

I tend to discount etymology because of my linguistic background in WBT, but on the other hand the hidden scholar in me likes etymology Embarrassed

Now I can comfort myself thinking that I am in the same sinking boat as many others, but maybe tomorrow I'll be much happier!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 8:50 AM

Just chatting. But I'm on a recent volume, yet discussing Holy Ghost greek again. The statistical patterns compared to greek of the day, and intra-NT patterns. I'm also reading an Enoch volume, and its similarities in language to the NT ... 'Enochian judaism'.  Another dimension.

Obviously naive etymology is naive. English has thousands of examples. But when I hear a new word, I quickly want to know where THAT came from. Especially if it quickly becomes popular.

So also words and usages, as one 'floats' into the 1st century. Some, one can surmise are arriving from 2nd Temple usage. But given the significant mixing of languages by Roman slavery, the NT had to have been a challenge. Ergo, other writers as well as languages.

Just my opinion, also, but I'm not convinced 'what' language (including religiously loaded vocabulary) was common in Judea, or even the towns sirrounding Galilee. Apparently John the B was fluent in greek (Antipas).

Posts 1524
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 9:46 AM

Veli Voipio:
Well, I finally made the same decision ( in the last hours ). Thanks Denise and others!

Party!!! Me too! Party!!!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 8738
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 2:28 PM

Mine just download and indexed. I'm excited to explore it now!

Glad I participated in the prepub before the price doubled!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 601
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:09 PM

Sadly, I had to cancel my order last minute...

Financial reasons only...

Glad many got it though at a good price.

Posts 6012
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:13 PM

While I don’t question the quality of the resource,  I have yet to hear a strong compelling argument to buy it other than it has an entry for nipple that is not found elsewhere 👍😁👌 Sorry, I skipped it.  I’m just waiting for the old testament theology mobile Ed.  It should ship anytime soon.

DAL

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:14 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Mine just download and indexed. I'm excited to explore it now!

Glad I participated in the prepub before the price doubled!

Thanks for the news! I thought it might be a long weekend.

I tried it out on my Noet ... lots of [?]'s. I guess you're supposed to not use it for greek studies (joking). The web app displays correctly ... I'm guessing the web app skips over the unknown chars, since they don't show at all.

But, happy. We've been Brill-ified for a couple years, I suspect.

Posts 8738
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:19 PM

Denise, I think you are going to love it. On a side note, when did you make the leap from Libby to L7? Have you abandoned Libby altogether?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:20 PM

DAL:

While I don’t question the quality of the resource,  I have yet to hear a strong compelling argument to buy it other than it has an entry for nipple that is not found elsewhere 👍😁👌 Sorry, I skipped it.  I’m just waiting for the old testament theology mobile Ed.  It should ship anytime soon.

DAL

Watching a movie is a very compelling argument, I say!  

Posts 8738
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:24 PM

Michael S.:

Sorry to hear that Michael. Perhaps you can pick it up in the future at a great price too.

Posts 6012
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 3:58 PM

I’m glad it downloaded for you Denise or else I’m sure you probably would’ve been asking for a refund on Monday 😜 The Same movie 🎥  🍿 every now and then 😂

Anyway, at least you and others get to enjoy it for now. Let us know if anything changes.

DAL

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:11 PM

DAL:

I’m glad it downloaded for you Denise or else I’m sure you probably would’ve been asking for a refund on Monday 😜 The Same movie 🎥  🍿 every now and then 😂

Anyway, at least you and others get to enjoy it for now. Let us know if anything changes.

DAL

You're right! And last week, it downloaded the Samaritan too. I sort of miss chatting with the refund people ... they're quite nice. Though they seem to get exhausted suggesting you chat with the sales people.

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 4:29 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Denise, I think you are going to love it. On a side note, when did you make the leap from Libby to L7? Have you abandoned Libby altogether?

Libby, BillyBoy (that's Bibleworks, easier to remember), and L7 are all safely residing off line.

I saying safely, since I thought I had Gramcord but no hint of it in my library. So, I started checking to see if Logos was over-writing morphologies. It turns out, Libby's OpenText morphology was over-written. I have suspicions Gramcord was over-written half-way thru Libby. Luckily I kept my CDs, and have the earlier cut. Anyway, I went ahead and replaced Gramcord (NA27) since it'll likely get pulled soon enough.  GBS volumes are like fish ... they swim away.

Posts 2680
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:44 AM

DAL:

DAL

Dal, from a few entries i have looked up i think you made the right decision. Comparing it with other lexicons in my library, I don't think you would be missing much, and for preaching nothing i read stood out. Just my opinion.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:52 AM

To add to that, it is arguable whether a diachronic slice of meaning is exegetically critical. I've yet to see a clear example. Maybe, for some hapax legomena? I'd be interested if anyone has an example of exegetical clarity as a result of this approach.

Posts 6012
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 3:00 AM

Ted Hans:

DAL:

DAL

Dal, from a few entries i have looked up i think you made the right decision. Comparing it with other lexicons in my library, I don't think you would be missing much, and for preaching nothing i read stood out. Just my opinion.

Thanks Ted! I think I have plenty for my OL Studies. And like you said, if nothing stands out for preaching, then chances are I won’t be using it very much.

Now, let’s close out the year with Old Testament Theology this Monday.  I’m sure that will be a great study 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 6012
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 3:55 AM

Michael S.:

Financial reasons only...

Glad many got it though at a good price.

A good word of advice, Michael S., and I’m sure others can attest to this —-> Logos can be highly addictive! So it’s good that you’re forcing yourself to exercise self control.  It doesn’t matter how bad you think you want something it can always wait.  It doesn’t matter if others are talking about how good a resource is don‘t buy it on impulse if you can’t afford it yet.   You’ve lived without it before you can manage to live without it today.  

I know it’s tough at times but, hey, it is what it is.   Continue exercising self-control and you will definitely avoid getting yourself into unnecessary financial hardships and you will definitely avoid having your wife hitting you with the skillet 🍳 on the top of your head 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8738
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 5:18 AM

Denise:
Libby, BillyBoy (that's Bibleworks, easier to remember), and L7 are all safely residing off line.

I thought this could be the case as I could not see you forsaking your first love.

Posts 9809
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 6:46 AM

Lee:

To add to that, it is arguable whether a diachronic slice of meaning is exegetically critical. I've yet to see a clear example. Maybe, for some hapax legomena? I'd be interested if anyone has an example of exegetical clarity as a result of this approach.

I can't imagine exegetical clarity .. there's 28 gentlemen (and a lady) who exegete differently for their respective flocks on Sunday morning here ... none seem uncomfortable, though Paul warns that 28 have an uncertain future. Meaning is in doctrine ... if one literally exegeted, you'd arrive with the apostolic fathers (in an iffy world).

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 7:54 AM

Ergo, no need for this dictionary? Devil

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS