Zondervan Exegetical Commentaries

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 656
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 7 2018 1:32 PM

For those of us hoping the latest volumes wouldn't be released together, our worst nightmare has come true! Even worse for me the missing NT volumes have been bundled with Obadiah, which I'm not interested in. At least it's gone straight to development. Looks like I'll have to wait until they are separated and put on sale by Zondervan. 

https://www.logos.com/product/167675/zondervan-exegetical-commentaries

Posts 5747
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 1:38 PM

Really? An Obadiah’s second edition? Why not finish the series first before starting to do second editions? Oh well 😒

Posts 649
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:02 PM

Paul Caneparo:
At least it's gone straight to development. Looks like I'll have to wait until they are separated and put on sale by Zondervan. 

Do not want Obadiah or 1 Corinthians.  Will wait for separate sale.

Posts 828
LogosEmployee

I'm having the team split these up for individual pre-order right now.

Thanks!

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 649
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:26 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Thanks!

I'm in on Romans.  Thanks, Ben !!!

Posts 8977
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 7:39 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Thanks!

Thanks, Ben. I don't yet see them but when I do I'll certainly be in for Romans.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 582
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2018 6:06 AM

I'm a bit confused on the Obadiah volume. I own the ZECOT Obadiah by Block (which I assume is the 1st edition), but it's dated 2015. 3 years seems like a short amount of time for a new edition. I also can't find anything else on amazon or zondervan's website about this 2nd edition. Am I missing something?

Posts 1239
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2018 6:12 AM

Ryan:

I'm a bit confused on the Obadiah volume. I own the ZECOT Obadiah by Block (which I assume is the 1st edition), but it's dated 2015. 3 years seems like a short amount of time for a new edition. I also can't find anything else on amazon or zondervan's website about this 2nd edition. Am I missing something?

I don't have the Obadiah volume so I have no skin in the game.  But for those that do, if there were short-comings so great in the 1st edition that a 2nd edition is needed this soon, it feels like Zondervan should consider making the 2nd edition free to those who own the first.

Other than that, I too am interested in Romans and am watching for the volumes to be offered individually.

Posts 582
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 8:30 AM

Looks like the collection has now been split up, but I still, for the life of me, can't figure out what's different about Obadiah.

ZECOT - Obadiah (2nd Edition) - $13.99  

https://www.logos.com/product/168352/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-old-testament-obadiah-2nd-ed

ZECNT - Romans - $38.99

https://www.logos.com/product/168350/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-romans

ZECNT 1 Corinthians - $31.99

https://www.logos.com/product/168351/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-1-corinthians

Posts 495
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 8:38 AM

On the front page it states the following,

This content was previously published as the Obadiah volume in the Hearing the Message of Scripture series

Perhaps the revision is to reformat the book more in line with the design of the series. But I agree three years for a new revision is really a short time.

Posts 2681
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 11:46 AM

I wonder if they will all ship together if you buy the bundle?  Only $13 more if you add Obadiah though what a short revision time wise

Posts 5747
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 11:58 AM

Bobby Terhune:

This content was previously published as the Obadiah volume in the Hearing the Message of Scripture series

Perhaps the revision is to reformat the book more in line with the design of the series. But I agree three years for a new revision is really a short time.

I’m not trying to instigate anything...but...If it’s a reformatting issue, then is not a revision; they are just correcting an error they let slip the first time around...So it should be considered a free update not a “premium” revision...I’m just saying  👍😁👌 

DAL

Posts 1548
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:08 PM

Bobby Terhune:

So, do I have this right?

Daniel Block published a commentary on Obadiah in the HMS series

then Daniel Block published a commentary on Obadiah in the ZECOT series

now Block's HMS publication is being "reformatted" and released as part of the ZECOT series?

Does anybody have both HMS and ZECOT to offer a comparison?

Posts 656
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:10 PM

David Thomas:

Bobby Terhune:

So, do I have this right?

Daniel Block published a commentary on Obadiah in the HMS series

then Daniel Block published a commentary on Obadiah in the ZECOT series

now Block's HMS publication is being "reformatted" and released as part of the ZECOT series?

Does anybody have both HMS and ZECOT to offer a comparison?

If I understand correctly, it's a re-branding exercise.  The ZECNT series proved popular, so the HMS series was brought into the ZEC "family".

Posts 1548
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:24 PM

Paul Caneparo:
If I understand correctly, it's a re-branding exercise.

Since ZECOT (1st edition) and HMS are both 128 pp, I assume they are essentially the same. (I am open to correction on this assumption).

If this assumption is correct, DAL is right in calling this an "update" rather than a "revision". I hope Zondervan allows Logos to do the right thing for those who own 1st edition.

Posts 5747
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:34 PM

Here’s how the title page reads on my Accordance version of it:

Posts 649
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:55 PM

Ryan:

Not happy.  Both have the same number of pages.  Romans is $7.00 more.

Posts 656
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 1:05 PM

scooter:

Ryan:

I was a little surprised too.  Both are the same price on Amazon in the UK in print - although Romans is £3 more in Kindle.  However, I've been waiting so long that I'm delighted to see them coming.

Posts 5747
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 1:52 PM

scooter:

Maybe Romans is more expensive because it’s considered Paul’s Opus Magnum 👍😁👌 or maybe the author is asking for more royalties 😜

Posts 649
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 1:54 PM

DAL:

scooter:

Maybe Romans is more expensive because it’s considered Paul’s Opus Magnum 👍😁👌 or maybe the author is asking for more royalties 😜

I will sit this pre-pub out.  I am uncomfortable with this difference in price.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS