Purchase Library vs. purchase and own Basic feature Set?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 26 2018 6:37 PM

What is the difference? Sorry for the elementary questions.

I'd prefer to purchase only the Basic Library.

&

I'd like to purchase and own the Logos 7 Basic Feature Set.

I currently use the "free" version of Logos and purchase the modules I want. 

Which is better? And Why?

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:33 PM

So the feature set will give me all of Logos 7 uses? If i'm reading correct; whereas, the library restricts Logos 7 functionality? 

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 9:01 PM
Basic is limited but what it offers is not restricted. A package will give you more features but if you are happy with basic there is no rush other than possibly taking advantage of library 8 introductory pricing which ends December 31. Also while basic offers you temporary licenses you do not own anything beyond the Lexham BIble FLSB LBD and Connect the testaments which are items freely offered. The temporary nature is likely of no serious disadvantage. But just wanted to point out any of those could be removed in the future (I do not see it happening as it might cause a fair bit of out cry, but it is possible). I know of at least one person who has only ever used the free version of Logos, preferring to use his money to buy the resources he really wants. There is no right or wrong answer and for many people basic gives them enough. You may gain a few more resources by adding Verbum basic to your account. Which will download to either of FL Bible platforms. Going back to restrictions basic is like a very basic car, manual transmission am fm radio. But the packages have extra stuff like back up cameras stereo system with CD, navigation system automatic transmission and many other bells and whistles. Basic car is not restricted it just has less features. Some of those features can be added on piecemeal so if you are happy with basic but only need AC you can do that. But when grabbing many features it becomes more economical to get a package. Starter level again doesn’t give you everything either but gives you most core functions. Traditionally Gold level includes all data sets available although I do not know for sure if that is still the case. -Dan
Posts 18071
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 9:26 AM

Judson s:
I'd like to purchase and own the Logos 7 Basic Feature Set.

A purchase option to own the Logos 7 Basic Feature Set with 32 more features/datasets is Verbum 7 Fundamentals that includes six more features/datasets than Logos 7 Fundamentals (Deuterocanon Addressee data, Personal Letters section, Text Comparison Version 2, Bible Book Guide Supplemental Data, Bible Books dataset, Online Media). Both packages of Fundamentals include Biblical People Dataset that enables searching Bible using Person tagging (includes pronoun references): e.g. <Person Peter> WITHIN 3 WORDS <Person Jesus>

Screen shot is 7.19 with Logos 7 Fundamentals using a Faithlife account that has an order total of $ 0.00 (includes Logos 8 Christmas upgrade gift), which shows Person tagging varies a bit between Bibles.

Caveat: Fundamentals does not have dynamic pricing so previous purchase(s) have no effect on price. A purchase of Verbum 7 Fundamentals includes 32 more features/datasets than Basic. Subsequent purchase of Logos 7 Fundamentals only expands library resources (no new features/datasets). In contrast, Starter packages have dynamic pricing so purchase(s) reduce Starter base package pricing by what is already owned (roughly by value of component in package, which may be less or more than purchase amount - some resources have sale prices that are less then dynamic pricing value so their purchase reduces dynamic price more)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 28041
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 12:17 PM

Judson s:
Which is better? And Why?

I don't fully understand your question, but here is my 2 ¢...

To me, the #1 feature of Logos is a "research library." There are many great features, but the only thing I HAVE to have is the ability to search my entire library. The ability to do so is free. 

I lean towards a "buy resources, rent features" philosophy. "Faithlife Connect" is a great way to keep up with all the new features. It also provides other discounts and goodies. The last couple of cycles I have purchased libraries and subscribed to Faithlife Connect (previously Logos Now). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS