Mishnah Module

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 26 2018 6:53 PM

I was thinking about purchasing the 

The Mishnah: A New Translation

by Jacob Neusner

I'm not sure which one to purchase. The purpose of my purchasing is to link back my NT studies to Jewish teachings. So when I read of something in the text; such as, how an orthodox jew would treat a woman in the public, The text I'm reading would link to that source in the Mishnah. 

Any recommendations?

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 7:57 PM

Whether you purchase the Mishnah or Talmud (2 choices), you link them to your NT, using a Cited By panel. The jewish writings are typically arranged by broad area, but Neusner has inserted NT references.

But keep in mind:

- 'Jewish' can be almost anything, with YHWH as the center-point. So, there's many jewish's. You won't find ortho until fairly recently

- Jesus was well after the majority of 2nd Temple writings, and well before the Mishnah and Talmud. So, academics try to guess in-between (1st century, Jesus, Paul).

- For what you want, a book on NT background (many choices) will better fit your desires

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:00 PM

Which book would you recommend? 

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:06 PM

I'm really looking for something that explains the Jewish culture of the 1st century that links to the text of the NT. 

So when reading John 4 and the woman at the well, I can read about the Jewish history with the Samaritans and understand why they didn't get along as well. Or how shocking it was that a Rabbi (Jesus) was speaking to a woman in public, let alone a Samaritan. I wanted to know what resources are out there, that explain all the "history" and the "Culture". 

Or how Passover was conducted and how Jesus, at the Last Supper, exegeted it to represent himself.

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:13 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/4891/dictionary-of-new-testament-background 

This is by subject, fairly conservative, and in-depth. Heavily crossref'd.

Like the Mishnah, you attach a Cited By panel to this resource and your NT. Then, as you read along in your NT, it's looking up multiple background  subjects you may want in depth.

There's several background commentaries, arranged by verse. However, you'll likely want the subject (dictionary) and verse-following (Cited By panel)

Commentaries If Desired:  (I like the IVP one)

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=background+commentary 

Extra:

The examples you mention most likely get discussed in regular commentaries, since they're largely speculation. For example 'rabbis' were well after Jesus, as well as reluctance regarding women. 

Posts 28
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 8:36 PM

Thanks. I think that first resource is probably what I'm looking for. I don't use Logos for "reading books" rather its more a reference look up program for me. So I treat it like Google. (if that makes sense?)

Also, since I'm just learning this, what is a Cited By Panel? I tried to find a video on YouTube and couldn't find any? 

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 9:20 PM

https://wiki.logos.com/Cited_By (shows link to video)

The Cited By panel is the 2nd most powerful feature in Logos (searches, first). 

It allows you to hook up any reference book (dictionaries, monographs, even lexicons) to your Bible. Then, as you're studying, it's quietly looking stuff up that you wanted.

Within a single panel, you can link multiple resources, tag-groups, or collections. Very powerful. And you can have multiple panels too. In my main layout, I use several.

Posts 18059
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 1:28 AM

Judson s:
I'm really looking for something that explains the Jewish culture of the 1st century that links to the text of the NT. 

Another resource to consider => The Complete Jewish Study Bible Notes that comments on some verses plus insightful articles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 1:56 PM

What do you think about the jewish encyclopedia 12 vol. by Isidore singer?

Isidore Singer

Posts 19
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 1:56 PM

What do you think about the jewish encyclopedia 12 vol. by Isidore singer?

Isidore Singer

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 2:20 PM

I have it. It's exactly as the product page describes (modern). Not your NT. Even discusses 1800s Baptists.

The Jewish Encyclopedia represents the pinnacle of nineteenth century scholarship, yet remains profoundly relevant for today’s issues. This publication is the achievement of the Wissenschaft des Judentums—the nineteenth century movement to modernize Judaism and highlights the contributions of Jewish people in the fields of arts, literature, and science. It brings the best objective scholarship to bear on the history and status of the Jewish people in the modern world. Although nearly a century old, this massive reference works contains important articles on history, culture, and more.

Posts 19
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:42 AM

Thanks. I'm going with the Background on NT you recommended first then I think I'm going with 

The Jewish New Testament Commentary

by David H. Stern

Posts 19
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 9:43 AM

Thanks. I have this on my list next!

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 7:34 PM

Judson s:

Thanks. I have this on my list next!

Just yapping, but JSB is a flavor. Depends on your needs.

Posts 19
Judson s | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2018 8:44 PM

Can you explain? My goal is to pull all the Jewishness I can to understand the NT better. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS