can't Mark Read without serious problems (A20)

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 31 2010 1:48 PM

I've been trying to do a Mark Read on a passage in my reading plan today.  It locks up every time now.  Usually this just happens every other time, but this time, I've tried several times and the program just locks up each time.  It will NOT Force Quit.  Usually I can close it by killing the gdb process.  But this time, Logos still did not close, and I could not do anything about it.  There was nothing in the Activity Monitor that I could find related to Logos.  To make matters worse, my mouse and keyboard froze up after a few minutes and I had to shut off my computer.  (Again.)

A bit more about Mark Read.  It's quite unreliable now.  There have been times when the program doesn't crash but clicking on Mark Read does absolutely nothing.  I could click on it a hundred times, and nothing happens.  What's up with that?

As a programmer, I've been pretty patient with the Alpha process, but this is getting worse and more ridiculous and I'm getting really mad.  I paid hundreds of dollars for this wonderful and expensive software...for what?  It's almost useless now, and I've actually become afraid to use it.  This is not good.

Please tell me that A21 will fix this.  I never had this much trouble with the earlier Alphas.

Posts 5917
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 3:11 PM

Hi Andy

If A21 does not fix this then the developers will need a bit more help tracking down the problem.

Andy Warmack:
As a programmer,

You will understand that the value of your logs to the debugging process.

Actually you could take a look at them yourself - you may well be able to work out what is going wrong using your professional skill set.

Post your logs here together with information on the actual resources that you are experiencing difficulty with and I'll bet somebody will be able to sort out the problem for you - if you haven't worked it out for yourself

Andy Warmack:
I'm getting really mad.

As the old saying goes - 'Don't get made get even.' – Sort this program out once and for all  :-)

tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:03 PM

Well I'm not specifically a Mac programmer, so there's the slight disadvantage there.  :-)  Plus I felt like venting a bit.  :-)

Anyway, thanks for the friendly reminder.  I'll see if I can get together some logs.  I'm not mad now, and I won't get made either.  (Sorry, bad joke...)

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:24 PM

I read just fine thank you! Stick out tongue

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:37 PM

Uh...not you, Mark.  :-P

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 7:40 PM

Andy Warmack:

Well I'm not specifically a Mac programmer, so there's the slight disadvantage there.  :-)  ...

Apple's developer web site has useful information:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/

including open source:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

Andy Warmack:

... Usually I can close it by killing the gdb process. ... To make matters worse, my mouse and keyboard froze up after a few minutes and I had to shut off my computer.  (Again.)

Observation: Activity Monitor can show processes hierarchically - noticed userid launch daemon (launchd) is parent for Logos Bible Software 4 - also launchd is parent for Apple Dock, SystemUIServer (User Interface), ...  Wonder if user Log Out could have been done ? (before power cycling computer)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:14 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Andy Warmack:

... Usually I can close it by killing the gdb process. ... To make matters worse, my mouse and keyboard froze up after a few minutes and I had to shut off my computer.  (Again.)

Observation: Activity Monitor can show processes hierarchically - noticed userid launch daemon (launchd) is parent for Logos Bible Software 4 - also launchd is parent for Apple Dock, SystemUIServer (User Interface), ...  Wonder if user Log Out could have been done ? (before power cycling computer)

Keep Smiling Smile

Just FYI...in this situation I cannot even log out.  This just happened a minute ago with A21, and i decided to try logging out and the result is this:

Logout has timed out.

The application Logos Bible Software 4 failed to quit and is not responding.

If you wish to continue the logout by force quitting the application, choose Continue.

But since Force Quit will not successfully kill this program, there is no normal working path to logout or reboot.

As for the parent process, it is normally launchd like you said, but during this situation, it is gdb-i386-apple-d.  I usually can kill that process and restart L4.  At least once, I was unable to do even that and that's when I lost the ability to use my mouse or keyboard.  I had to do the power cycle--no other choice at that point.

In the meantime, I'm watching the logs to see if I can figure out what's going on.  The only interesting bit I'm seeing right now is this at the end:

2010-06-01 12:52:15.8498        1       Info    AppCommand      (22.32s) Executing command: Resource|Id=LLS:1.0.351|Reference=bible.61.21
2010-06-01 12:52:24.7709        1       Info    HighlightingUserVisualFilterProvider    No text range intersection data found for palette NO_PALETTE;
expect to remove filter after raising resource settings changed.
2010-06-01 12:52:24.7952        1       Info    HighlightingUserVisualFilterProvider    No text range intersection data found for palette Emphasis; ex
pect to remove filter after raising resource settings changed.
2010-06-01 12:52:24.7952        1       Info    HighlightingUserVisualFilterProvider    No text range intersection data found for palette Highlighter;
2010-06-01 12:52:24.8038        1       Info    HighlightingUserVisualFilterProvider    No text range intersection data found for palette SolidColor;
2010-06-01 12:52:24.8122        1       Info    HighlightingUserVisualFilterProvider    No text range intersection data found for palette Inductive; e
xpect to remove filter after raising resource settings changed.

That was the last thing that happened in the log, about 20 minutes ago.  Everything before that looks pretty happy.

I didn't even try to Mark Read this time (but was about to).

--Andy

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:37 AM

Ok, I rebooted and repeated the same situation again for the second or third time this afternoon.  All I did was:

1) stop indexing for 4 hours (I don't think this is significant but I'm including it just to be truthful about today--this wasn't part of yesterday's process)

2) open L4

3) my reading plans show up in the top part of the home screen, so I click on the passage for yesterday (which I tried to mark read since yesterday but can't--so L4 thinks I'm behind in my reading)

4) scroll to the bottom of the passage where "Mark Read" shows up

5) before I even click on it, I get the beachball

6) usually I can kill the gdb process and try again but since yesterday I have no way of catching up because I cannot even click Mark Read

Here are my logs...

21832.Archive.zip

Hope this helps...until this is resolved, I am unable to use L4 at all.  It crashes before I can even do anything useful with it.

--Andy

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:12 PM

Andy,

This almost helped, it looks like a crash that we should be able to fix, but we need a bit more information from the Console Messages.log

The log starts at 1:20:02 PM and I need the rest of the stack trace above the line you gave us.

Here's the first part of the log, that I need a bit more information from:

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130]  at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplay.RaiseDisplayAction (Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplayActionEventArgs) <0x00149>

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130]  at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos.LogosResourceDisplayModel.DoRaiseDisplayEvent (Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplayActionEventArgs) <0x00013>

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130]  at Bootstrap.LogosResourceDisplayModelHelpers.DoRaiseDisplayEvent (Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos.LogosResourceDisplayModel,Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplayActionEventArgs) <0x00018>

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130]  at (wrapper native-to-managed) Bootstrap.LogosResourceDisplayModelHelpers.DoRaiseDisplayEvent (Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos.LogosResourceDisplayModel,Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplayActionEventArgs,System.Exception&) <0x00033>

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] Native stacktrace:

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 0   libmono.0.dylib                     0x05ba9767 mono_handle_native_sigsegv + 367

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 1   libmono.0.dylib                     0x05afd80c mono_sigsegv_signal_handler + 276

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 2   libSystem.B.dylib                   0x911f72bb _sigtramp + 43

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 3   ???                                 0xffffffff 0x0 + 4294967295

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 4   libCore.dylib                       0x046d770e _Z12utf32ToUtf16PKw + 156

6/1/10 1:20:02 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[130] 5   libCore.dylib                       0x0492e433 RichTextExport_GetBuffer + 79

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:15 PM

Unfortunately, I do not seem to have anything earlier than 6/1/10 1:20:02 PM.  Not sure why.

Also, when I used L4 today, I didn't have beachball issues.  I'm wondering if it may have something to do with going into my iPhone and marking a few days' worth as read.  Prior to doing that, marking read was impossible in L4.  Could L4 have been confused about the Mark Read status?  (Or something?)

Even though I had a better experience today, it was not flawless.  I am still having frequent/intermittent problems with the Mark Read link where nothing happens when I click on it.  It seemed to work if I closed the panel and opened it up again.  Might my logs be useful for investigating this?  (Considering that there is no crash, etc.)

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 1:08 AM

It happened again as I was trying to Mark Read--it was not clickable, and the pointer turned into a beachball and it never recovered.  I killed it after several hours by stopping the gdb process.  Hope this archive log has everything you need this time.

48853.Archive.zip

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 9:43 AM

Andy Warmack:

It happened again as I was trying to Mark Read--it was not clickable, and the pointer turned into a beachball and it never recovered.  I killed it after several hours by stopping the gdb process.  Hope this archive log has everything you need this time.

48853.Archive.zip

Looking at console messages - see many Logos "warning: Could not find object file "..." - no debug information available for "~" (debug info from gdb), but no stacktrace.

Several Alpha releases ago, learned when Logos prompting for password (crashing), cancelling dialog box avoided gdb object warning messages (not have access to Logos code folders), which left stacktrace in console messages (good for posting).  Also wonder if folder ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports has any crash reports for Logos 4 ?  (crash report file includes complete stacktrace).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 10:24 PM

Regarding the crash reports for Logos 4...I see no DiagnosticReports folder under Logs.  I have a CrashReporter folder though, but nothing Logos-related there.

Posts 3196
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:30 PM

Andy:

Update to A22 and tell me if anything different occurs. And do you not see something like this?

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:19 AM

Andy Warmack:
I've been trying to do a Mark Read on a passage in my reading plan today.  It locks up every time now.  Usually this just happens every other time, but this time, I've tried several times and the program just locks up each time.

Andy,

I just experienced a similar crash this morning reading through Luke in the ESV. Fortunately, I know somebody who can look into the issue. I've created a bug for this in our tracking system. There is probably a duplicate bug somewhere that Tommy's reported, but just know that I've seen it and have reproduced it and we'll work on fixing it in a future release.

Tom

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 26
Andy Warmack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:41 PM

Thanks, Tom!  By the way, I have A22 now, and it actually seems a lot more stable so far.  I haven't had any problems yet.  But I'll keep you posted since you say that you have seen it happen today.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS