Any thoughts on FF Bruce?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5838
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:43 PM

I’m looking at this collection of his: https://www.logos.com/product/150111/ff-bruce-collection 

Any thoughts on it? Is it any good or is it just average? I know it’s FF Bruce, but these seem to be short monographs on various topics and some commentaries.

DAL

Posts 924
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:11 PM

I really wish they have the proper publication dates because just saying 2017 isn't very helpful. I've got Peter, Stephen, James, and John in paper and it's alright. I believe that Second Thoughts on the Dead Sea Scrolls: The First Book to Read about the Story, the Scrolls, and their Significance is from the 1960s and there has been a lot of DSS scholarship since then obviously.

FYI I just found this very extensive bibliography with publication dates.

https://www.ffbruce.com/books-and-articles/

Posts 5838
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:56 PM

Thanks Tom! I keep forgetting FF Bruce left this world almost 30 years ago and that his writings are a bit dated. The 2017 date must reflect a new contract with the publisher or something related.

I think I may skip it.  There is a 19 volume collection being offered elsewhere, but I don’t think I’ll be missing anything.

DAL

Posts 517
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 6:35 PM

I've been enjoying reading through it - though FF Bruce was a strong influence on me in my young days, and still is. I read a number of these in their original publications (prior to newer editions), so I've enjoyed the re-read.

Not his best work, admittedly, but still good :)

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 5177
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 8:25 PM

Bruce is a thoroughly dependable workhorse of a scholar. He may not be known for innovation but I have found him a very reliable scholar. His gospel of John was one of my favourite commentarys, when I first started to study the Bible in-depth. I value him as a great Irenic  scholar of the evangelical  world. 

-dan

Posts 2084
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:58 PM

Most everyone who uses Logos should be beyond grateful for Bruce. A huge portion of NICNT exists through his efforts and anyone who uses Kittel probably doesn't even know that Bruce edited the manuscripts of the translation. A giant in my estimation.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5838
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:25 PM

mab:

Most everyone who uses Logos should be beyond grateful for Bruce. A huge portion of NICNT exists through his efforts and anyone who uses Kittel probably doesn't even know that Bruce edited the manuscripts of the translation. A giant in my estimation.

True! I bought the 19 Volume Collection elsewhere, since they will be reading material only. Price almost the same as Logos, but includes 7 more volumes. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1326
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 11:08 PM

DAL:
I’m looking at this collection of his: https://www.logos.com/product/150111/ff-bruce-collection 

I´ve bought it last fall, and been reading it since. All of the books are interesting, and perhaps "The Pauline Circle" has given me much new insight. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2655
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 2:35 AM

DAL:
I bought the 19 Volume Collection elsewhere,

DAL:
but includes 7 more volumes. 👍😁👌

Now I am interested in the 7 more volumes - where?

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 39
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:15 AM

Accordance

Posts 2655
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:22 AM

Yes Thanks

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 5838
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:43 AM

Ted Hans:

Yes Thanks

And on top of that, his commentary on the gospel of John will be made available soon 👍😁👌

Posts 2655
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 10:38 AM

DAL:
And on top of that, his commentary on the gospel of John will be made available soon 👍😁👌

WinkSmile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS