Ideas for Book Reading List

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 252
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:14 AM

Since I seem completely unable to stop buying new books, I find I have a rather large number of books in my virtual to read pile. Sometimes I buy a new book and want to put it near the top of my books I want to read, which got me wondering if there are any clever ways in Logos to create a flexible reading list beyond a basic note with all the books listed there. Curious to hear what if anything others have done in this area.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:49 AM

Many of us use tagging. I tag all the books that I want to read with TOREAD. When I'm in the middle of them (which can happen with several books at a time), I change the tag to READING. And books that I've already read, I tag as FINISHED (rather than READ, which is a substring of both TOREAD and READING, so it would find those when I wouldn't want it to).

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:50 AM

There are several possibilities.

You mentioned using a note for that. This is light-weight, flexible and portable (thus it commends itself to such things, and Morris Proctor advises it for any other to-do lists and documents you want to keep in reach, even recipes), so I'd ask "why not".  

The one that comes to mind immediately are Reading Lists (which are built in a wiki-like webpage), they require a bit more structure but give a check-mark box to tick off the books you are done with - unfortunately there never was a "private" option for those, so you'd share your list with the internet and all Logos customers (all L7 users may get new and updated lists prominently on their desktop). This obviously is meant for topical lists and collaborative building of such, not for the private reading stack of everyone's personal library. 

The other alternative are favorites. Here you can even build tree structures of books, if you want to (such as: read those on Atonement, read those on Baptism - possible subtrees pro-infant, believers-only - , a folder for fiction etc). Again this is a solution that may hold a to-read list, but is built for much more.

The third one is the bookmark functionality. It will keep track of the position you reached in a book, you can move and sort - the drawback: it's a flat list of only nine book positions, which probably doesn't fit your description of a "rather large number". 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:52 AM

A self admitted bookaholic 🥴 why not join bookaholics anonymous instead 😜

If I were you, I’d just pick 10 or 20 books and start a reading plan for each.  That’ll work better than a list that’s probably gonna sit there like your other new books 👍😁👌

DAL

Ps. I had to force myself to start reading my books, and I found out it’s all about starting one, finishing it, then moving to the next one on the list. Then pick another 10 or 20 and rinse and repeat.

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:15 AM

Rosie Perera:

Many of us use tagging. I tag all the books that I want to read with TOREAD. When I'm in the middle of them (which can happen with several books at a time), I change the tag to READING. And books that I've already read, I tag as FINISHED (rather than READ, which is a substring of both TOREAD and READING, so it would find those when I wouldn't want it to).

Wow that’s one great idea 💡 Thanks for sharing 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 252
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:21 AM

Lots of good ideas. I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of a favorites list. I really have to stop thinking of that feature as favorites and instead something like the "organizer" because that's really what it seems to do. I tested and see that I can create  quick reading list folder and then drag books to it from my library. I can even reorder them just by simple dragging them up or down. This is exactly what I was looking for, and should have know this would do this *sigh*. Thanks a bunch!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS