Compare Waltke's book "An Old testament Theology" to his OT300 ME course

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1331
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2019 7:49 AM

Does anyone have Bruce Waltke's 2007 book titled An Old Testament Theology and his recently released Mobile Ed Course titled OT300 Old Testament Theology?

Based on the table of contents of the two resources, I have the impression that the ME course is modeled largely on the book, but I'm also thinking that at 1,000+ pages, the book will have more content/details/specifics than can be worked into an ME course.

If you have access to both resources, can you share your thoughts as to their similarities and/or differences?  Their pros and cons? 

Posts 588
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 12:15 PM

In the video, "Particulars of the Course," Waltke states:

...these lectures are really based upon my An Old Testament Theology; and really, it comes out of course like this. But if you want to look at more detail—I can only touch the surface of it in these lectures—if you want bibliography and research, then you might want to look at the more in-depth theology itself.

Bruce K. Waltke, OT300 Old Testament Theology, Logos Mobile Education (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2018).

Hope that helps.

Posts 18499
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 12:22 PM

I TA'ed his course Old Testament Theology at Regent College, which was the foundation for the book. The book is outstanding. The course was great too, and I assume the MEd course is similar, though I haven't listened to it. But if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the book.

Posts 6069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 1:21 PM

Yep 👍 whatever they said.  Since I got the course real cheap, I prefer it since I’m a visual learner and it’s easier on the eyes to listen than to read. But I wouldn’t mind having the book for reference. 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 993
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 2:04 PM

Waltke's Old Testament Theology was a textbook for a couple of my seminary classes.  I found it quite helpful.

Posts 1331
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:04 PM

Based on the feedback so far, it does sound like the book and the course follow a similar path, but with the book  likely spending more time for a closer look at things along the way.

On the flip side, I suppose that with the passing of 11 years since the book was published, Waltke may have gained a few thoughts and insights not in the book that might be in the course.

Thanks everyone--I appreciate your input. Smile

Posts 69
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 3:55 PM

The course was really cheap in Prepub. I have the book too, but like the course because Waltke is a great teacher with some humor too :-)

When you look at the Mobile Ed course by Fruchtenbaum, he reads from his book Israelogy almost verbatim. I like the message of his, but perhaps Logos should not have allowed him to speak. He is difficult to follow.

Posts 6069
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2019 4:38 PM

HansK:

The course was really cheap in Prepub. I have the book too, but like the course because Waltke is a great teacher with some humor too :-)

When you look at the Mobile Ed course by Fruchtenbaum, he reads from his book Israelogy almost verbatim. I like the message of his, but perhaps Logos should not have allowed him to speak. He is difficult to follow.

That’s why I bought the book instead. I had heard of that before. Besides, the book cost me $12.50 on a Twitter Daily Deal 👍😁👌

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 10:14 AM

I got the course inexpensively.  I was about to start it last night when I read this thread.  I had a coupon from Faithlife which would expire in March.  So, I cashed in the coupon and purchased the book.  I stayed up late and read the Preface.  I think I am really going to like this book.

Posts 543
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 5:50 AM

Has the audio of this course been made available yet?

Posts 176
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 7:44 AM

Jesse, the audio is not finished yet.  Once available it will automatically become available for all who own this course.

Posts 169
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 9:25 PM

I have Waltke’s book also, but I find it a bit difficult to search for topics.  For ex., I am really curious to see how he interprets Deuteronomy 22.5, but cannot seem to locate anything on this passage.

Same w. Isaiah 9.6, 44.24.

Posts 18499
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 18 2019 11:04 PM

Puddin’:

I have Waltke’s book also, but I find it a bit difficult to search for topics.  For ex., I am really curious to see how he interprets Deuteronomy 22.5, but cannot seem to locate anything on this passage.

It's a biblical theology book, not a commentary. So you wouldn't expect it to cover every single verse. It covers the Old Testament thematically -- big picture stuff, traced over the whole OT. It's best read in large chunks, a whole chapter at a time, rather than searching in it for topics or verses.

That said, Waltke does make passing references to Deut 22:5 and Isaiah 9:6. Here's how to search for those:

Posts 169
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 12:59 AM

Rosie Perera:

Puddin’:

It's a biblical theology book, not a commentary. So you wouldn't expect it to cover every single verse. It covers the Old Testament thematically -- big picture stuff, traced over the whole OT. It's best read in large chunks, a whole chapter at a time, rather than searching in it for topics or verses.

That said, Waltke does make passing references to Deut 22:5 and Isaiah 9:6. Here's how to search for those:

Got it!  Interesting.  Thank you taking the time to post this.  Very helpful.

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:37 PM

Joe McCune:

Jesse, the audio is not finished yet.  Once available it will automatically become available for all who own this course.

First, how will we know it has been downloaded? 

Second, are there any rough estimates on when the audio will be available?  I would like to put this course on my calendar.  Meanwhile, I will be cruising through my OT reading for the year and also reading Waltke's book, which I bought based on the recommendations on this thread.

Posts 27015
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:46 PM

David A Egolf:
First, how will we know it has been downloaded?

It would be a large download. Out of habit, I check all large downloads. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS