FaithLife Amazon Echo Skill Ending Readings Early

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 78
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 13 2019 8:10 PM

I created a reading plan of one of John Bunyan's books which is approximately 16 pages total. I created a reading plan and set the reading plan to complete the reading in one day so that I could hear all 16 pages. Alexa began speaking from the beginning of the book just fine and stopped talking after a period of time...maybe 5 minutes or so and stopped shortly after completing the first page of reading and was into the second. It did end on a paragraph ending though, but there was no indicator that this was the end of the reading for that day.

Anybody else noticed a time limit or length limit on reading plan sections?

I recall having experienced this same issue with long chapters from Scripture which seemed to end early. Anybody else? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris

Posts 738
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 5:01 PM

As I recall, this limitation was talked about on the forums when the Alexa Faithlife app was first released.  I found that reading plans with long passages were truncated.  This was a limitation on the Alexa side of the interface.  All a user can do is limit the number of words of any single passage.  The limit a couple of years ago was 8,000 CHARACTERS.  This is actually pretty small.  I found that it limited me to setting up a reading plan for the N.T. in one year.  Plans including the O.T. provided passages that were far too large.

What killed it for me was that, at the time, Alexa would always start with today's reading and not give you a clue that you had been a day behind.  So there was no "catch up" mode.

Read more at: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/128968.aspx?PageIndex=4

Posts 78
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 8:28 PM

David,

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. That explains it. I hope the reading character limit amount can be increased to unlimited somehow in the future (or at least greatly increased somehow).

Thanks again,

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS